Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bond Pickup

Hey all,
    Just looking for some info in regards to the pickup in the Kevin Bond V. I know it is listed as a Seymour Duncan Iommi pickup, but I do not see this pickup available on the SD site. Have they changed its name, or is it only available with this guitar as a special? If anyone has any info on this, please let me know. Also, if you are familiar with how the SD Iommi pickup is different than the Gibson Iommi, could you please fill me in.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

I think it's a Seymour Duncan custom shop pickup, that was named by Kevin Bond as the "Iommi" just out of respect for one of his heroes.
    It is NOT the same as the Gibson USA Iommi pickup in the least bit.
    The Seymour has blades and much higher output, and the Gibson has poles under the cover (I believe) and is more of a hot rodded Vintage pickup in terms of sound and output.
    Two very nice pickups, with entirely different results.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

There are alot of stories about the "iommi" pickup. I searched it on the seymour duncan board and ppl say that it was originally gonna be a tony iommi custom shop pickup , but that he ended up leaving to go back to gibson before the deal was done, but the pickup had already been used by kevin so he kept it in his custom. Now the story goes that scott ian of anthrax took over where tony left off and made the pickup his and renamed it the "el diablo" which you can find on the website. So the "iommi" and the "el diablo" are supposed the be the same pickup. I measured the output of my "iommi" pickup and it measured 21K which is what the "el diablo" says on the website. Personally im not a huge fan of the pickup, so i swapped it out for an EMG.

Comment

Thanks for the information guys. I'll see what I can find out about the Scott Ian pickup and I will go try the Gibson one out as well.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by KBRR View Post
          There are alot of stories about the "iommi" pickup. I searched it on the seymour duncan board and ppl say that it was originally gonna be a tony iommi custom shop pickup , but that he ended up leaving to go back to gibson before the deal was done, but the pickup had already been used by kevin so he kept it in his custom. Now the story goes that scott ian of anthrax took over where tony left off and made the pickup his and renamed it the "el diablo" which you can find on the website. So the "iommi" and the "el diablo" are supposed the be the same pickup. I measured the output of my "iommi" pickup and it measured 21K which is what the "el diablo" says on the website. Personally im not a huge fan of the pickup, so i swapped it out for an EMG.
          What about the Diablo which is different than the El Diablo?
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The diablo is the neck version of the el diablo if im not mistaken

Comment

At a music fair some Seymour Duncan marketing guy told me that the Iommi and Scott Ian pickup are exactly the same. With a winking eye he said that Jackson probably renamed this pickup, because they did not want to release a guitar with a Scott Ian pickup just in the same moment when Scott Ian left the stable.
              Last edited by busdriver; 10-16-2008, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                I think it's a Seymour Duncan custom shop pickup, that was named by Kevin Bond as the "Iommi" just out of respect for one of his heroes.
                It is NOT the same as the Gibson USA Iommi pickup in the least bit.
                The Seymour has blades and much higher output, and the Gibson has poles under the cover (I believe) and is more of a hot rodded Vintage pickup in terms of sound and output.
                Two very nice pickups, with entirely different results.
                Actually, I'm pretty sure the Iommi does have blades, and it's based on the John Birch Magnum that he used in the late '70s...
                '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                '92 Fender Strat scallop
                '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

I think this is the same pickup that SD designed for the Iommi signature guitar made by patrick eagle. If you look at the designed ones they have the hb104 which talks about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post
                    Actually, I'm pretty sure the Iommi does have blades, and it's based on the John Birch Magnum that he used in the late '70s...
                    It's possible that it does, but I havent seen one without the cover.
                    And most blade pickups are universal meaning that they will work with both F and non F spaced guitar. The Gibson Iommi humbucker is meant for a Gibson only, so I would say that if it does have blades then they are only as wide as a Gibson style spacing. Which has a 2" string spread, right? Not sure I forget.
                    'Howling in shadows
                    Living in a lunar spell
                    He finds his heaven
                    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

There is a seymour duncan El Diablo on ebay now....:idea:

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                        It's possible that it does, but I havent seen one without the cover.
                        And most blade pickups are universal meaning that they will work with both F and non F spaced guitar. The Gibson Iommi humbucker is meant for a Gibson only, so I would say that if it does have blades then they are only as wide as a Gibson style spacing. Which has a 2" string spread, right? Not sure I forget.
                        The Iommis are completely resin-potted, in order to protect the Great Secret of Black Sabbath, same thing that EMG and Lace use to do, I seriously dubt that you can dissassemlbe the PUs without destroying it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230300655285

Even from the buttom, you just see the PAF label and that's all, no screws, no information on the baseplate etc...BUT John Birch says that the Magnum is railed, therefore it's safe to assume that they're railed as well.

A rail humbucker can be "detected" when you're bending, it has a different sound compared to the poled one, aka the signal is stable during the bend, in any position, that's the way I determinated that EMGs have rails (I may be wrong, though), currently I don't have a Iommi but I toyed with the idea of purchasing one for a loooong time.

Maybe in the future, if I get another axe.
                        Last edited by Cuthbert; 10-18-2008, 07:33 AM.
                        '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                        '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                        '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                        '92 Fender Strat scallop
                        '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                        '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Working...
                        X