New DK2M!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DK2M!

Yup I've finally bought my first Jackson. Beautiful white DK2M. Just looking at it screams "80's shred metal" at me

The pictures!

And here it is with my Epi Les Paul

They're both so pretty...

Anyways, I went to the guitar shop with a friend of mine who is a far better guitarist than I'll ever be, who plays an RR24, and he played the DK2M after I'd tried it, because he wanted to try an effects pedal. He was so impressed by the DK2M that he considered buying one too. We found another one in a different shop but he suppressed the impulse to buy it. We could have had identical guitars!

I love how it plays, and it's really nice to have a floating trem and 24 frets, because I've never had them before. The only problem is that the Duncans are so good, they've made me want to spend more money to replace the stock pickups in my Les Paul. I'd always read that Epiphone stock pickups were pretty bad, but I'd never played anything better to compare them to. Now I want to spend even more money on a pair of Bareknuckles. Dammit! I can't afford to spend more money...
    I like maple fretboards. :P

NIce buy... i love the way the DK2Ms play,and don't worry nobody wants to spend more money .. but hey life is short , thats what i keep telling myself LOL

Comment

Thats a damn fine looking EPI L.P.custm nothing shabby there.May I suggest putting an http://rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit in the EPI to help bring out those pickups.The EPI pickups are great sounding pickups no need to change them.
      I have installed lots of the kits in EPI's and have had not one complaint I think the EPI's rock.(the high end ones like yours)
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        Thats a damn fine looking EPI L.P.custm nothing shabby there.May I suggest putting an http://rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit in the EPI to help bring out those pickups.The EPI pickups are great sounding pickups no need to change them.
        I have installed lots of the kits in EPI's and have had not one complaint I think the EPI's rock.(the high end ones like yours)
        Yeah, it's a beauty, isn't it! I love my LP, and the main reason I bought the DK2M, (other than the fact that you can never have too many guitars of course) is for a more 'metal' oriented guitar with 24 frets and a trem. I still love the general versatility of the LP, it plays nicely and looks amazing. The only things that annoy me are the neck heel and the fact that the pickups sound a little muddy compared to the Duncans. I assumed (and had read) that it was because the pickups are bad, but I've also heard that the electronics aren't the greatest so I might look into upgrading them. I'm still tempted to buy some Bareknuckles too, though!

It's been through a bit, my LP. About 6 months ago it had a little bit of a fall. I had to play my old strat copy until I could get the LP's headstock glued back on. I never realised the headstock would be quite that weak because it didn't seem to hit the ground too hard. I thought it would be fine. Then I noticed the gaping crack.
        Fortunately I got it fixed fairly cheaply, and the chap who did it did a good job.
        Last edited by Confuse-a-Cat; 10-13-2008, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Nice pair!
          Those white DK2M's just look so damn classy.
          The Les Paul is a real looker too!
          Time to start thinking about #3
          hehe
          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
            Nice pair!
            Those white DK2M's just look so damn classy.
            The Les Paul is a real looker too!
            Time to start thinking about #3
            hehe
            Don't tempt me!

Hmmm, how about a Kelly...

NO! No more guitars right now!

Comment

Originally posted by Confuse-a-Cat View Post
              Yup I've finally bought my first Jackson. Beautiful white DK2M. Just looking at it screams "80's shred metal" at me

I love how it plays, and it's really nice to have a floating trem and 24 frets, because I've never had them before. The only problem is that the Duncans are so good, they've made me want to spend more money to replace the stock pickups in my Les Paul. I'd always read that Epiphone stock pickups were pretty bad, but I'd never played anything better to compare them to. Now I want to spend even more money on a pair of Bareknuckles. Dammit! I can't afford to spend more money...
              Both lovely looking! I love the neck on the Jackson.

I understand your problem with the pickups. I also had an Epiphone LP (Black Beauty) and an Epi SG. I never realised what I was missing until I got a Jackson SL3 with Duncans in it and I realised I had to upgrade my Epis. Which cost a bloody fortune! Especially when I put Blackouts in my RR3 too.

I would say, for future reference - I just put a Bill Lawrence USA 500XL in the bridge of my Jackson Concept and the thing rocks. Those pickups are half the price of Duncan's or Bareknuckles but I think they sound about as good. The one I got does anyway.
              Only thing is, they're black so wouldn't fit your Les Paul....
              I put an Alnico II/Phat Cat/'59 set in my Black Beauty and used it for the first time with the band yesterday. It sounded amazing and I got nice compliments for my solo in Gary Moore's "Walking By Myself" which makes it all worthwhile!
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                Both lovely looking! I love the neck on the Jackson.

I understand your problem with the pickups. I also had an Epiphone LP (Black Beauty) and an Epi SG. I never realised what I was missing until I got a Jackson SL3 with Duncans in it and I realised I had to upgrade my Epis. Which cost a bloody fortune! Especially when I put Blackouts in my RR3 too.

I would say, for future reference - I just put a Bill Lawrence USA 500XL in the bridge of my Jackson Concept and the thing rocks. Those pickups are half the price of Duncan's or Bareknuckles but I think they sound about as good. The one I got does anyway.
                Only thing is, they're black so wouldn't fit your Les Paul....
                I put an Alnico II/Phat Cat/'59 set in my Black Beauty and used it for the first time with the band yesterday. It sounded amazing and I got nice compliments for my solo in Gary Moore's "Walking By Myself" which makes it all worthwhile!
                Yeah, my problem is that when I get around to replacing the pickups I will only put gold covered ones in, and I'd rather not faff around putting covers on pickups myself which I think some people do. That's one of the reasons I love BKPs, as you can order them with all sorts of different covers, they obviosuly sound awesome and of course they're British. *Insert Rule Britannia here*

I think I'll just wait to change the pickups for a while until I can happily spare the money for some. You never know, by the time I get around to that I might be tempted to buy an OFR for the DK2M as well (even though it is made in Germany...)

Comment

I've previously owned an EDS DK2M, but the one I really want is the White Bengal. Now there's a challenge...
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Confuse-a-Cat View Post
                    Yeah, my problem is that when I get around to replacing the pickups I will only put gold covered ones in, and I'd rather not faff around putting covers on pickups myself which I think some people do. That's one of the reasons I love BKPs, as you can order them with all sorts of different covers, they obviosuly sound awesome and of course they're British. *Insert Rule Britannia here*
                    The Duncans can be had with gold covers too - the ones I put in my BB were gold.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

The Duncans can be had with gold covers too - the ones I put in my BB were gold.

Ah, right. I never knew that, thanks! I think I just assumed they were all open coil since those are the Duncans you usually see. Nice Black Beauty!

Comment

That guitar is rad.
                        8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

You put them in your bean bag gun? :ROTF:
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I just picked up a black DK2M. Great guitars, congrats on yours! Nice epi too.

Comment

i got a white one too, worth every cent
                              dk-1 pile of skulls
                              dk-2m white
                              dkmg- black forest
                              rr-1 black w/gold pins
                              charvel custom white w/bloodsplatter strat
                              p.o.s. randall halfstack
                              peavey 5150

Comment

Working...
                              X