Identify this Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify this Jackson

Hello everyone. I seek the knowledge of the Jackson gurus here to help identify a Jackson that I am currently thinking about buying at a local music shop. There is no model number on the guitar from what I can see, so I will do my best to describe the guitar -

It has the soloist style headstock with 3 per side tuners. It only has the "Jacskon" logo with nothing after it (Performer, Professional) and nothing on the truss rod cover. It has the Dinky style strat body and it is finished in an open wood black stain, satin type finish. The wood pores are quite wide which makes me think that it may be mahogany? It has a maple neck with maple fretboard with standard dot inlays. It has the Jackson/Floyd double locking tremolo and has a hum/single/hum pup configuration. The pickups are Jackson. There is a sticker on the back of the neck near the joint that reads Made in Japan, but I am skeptical about this as it just may be a sticker from anything. Any clues? The music shop owner has it priced at $350 (it's used) but I talked him down to $300. Any clues? Thanks for reading.

I think it may be one of those "Super Dinkies". Is the body even smaller than a regular Jackson Dinky, with tiny horns? I recall that those had the SLS (3+3) headstock, and they had wide grain ash bodies in matte finishes.

Comment

You probably don't want me to give you the same answer on two different forums, but I think Sunbane is right (and has an excellent memory). For Sunbane's benefit, here's the '97 catalogue scan:

Comment

Wow. Not sure I've ever seen one of those. 22 fretter, maple? JT-580 bridge. Could go in the category "not alot of them around so they're worth whatever someone will pay".

Vass

Comment

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. I remember someone over here trying to sell a black one for ages. I think they're kind of ugly myself, but I bet they sound really good with that ash body and the thin finish!

Comment

DXMGT? SLSMG? Pix would help (is it against shop policy? I sneakily took pix in Sound Control! ).
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone and sorry for posting the same thread on two different Jackson forums. I seen another exactly like it (though different color) on ebay and it is listed as a Dinky SDK2 (wish it was the SDK1 USA model though). I remember from playing it that it did have a smaller feeling body but was very comortable. So, are these SDK2's good imports? Worth the $300 price tag? Thanks again all.

Comment

Originally posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
                Thanks for the replies everyone and sorry for posting the same thread on two different Jackson forums. I seen another exactly like it (though different color) on ebay and it is listed as a Dinky SDK2 (wish it was the SDK1 USA model though). I remember from playing it that it did have a smaller feeling body but was very comortable. So, are these SDK2's good imports? Worth the $300 price tag? Thanks again all.
                im personally not a big fans of todays dinky, but a dinky w/ sustainic....man more cool stuff could be done on it
                i say go for it. esp the fact thet you liked the body.
                Own:
                '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
                w/e catches my eyes ATM
                More '90 Professionals

Comment

Were these ever made in Japan?

Comment

AFAIK, they were made in Japan
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks. Does anyone recall what the new price was? (Sorry for all the questions but the music shop owner is pretty clueless about this guitar.)

Comment

Well, as fate would have it . . . I checked into the only other local music shop in my area (livin' in the central Ohio boonies) and they have a DX10 for about the same price as the SDK2. How do these two compare quality wise? I believe that the DX10 is Japan made as well. Thanks.

Comment

Hello all. Well, I went ahead and got the SDK2. I was able to talk the owner down a bit more. This has the JT580 trem and I was curious to know if there are any mods than need to be done with this trem or if it is a good trem out of the box. Should I consider a better trem - perhaps a Floyd Original or Pro?

Also, the back trem cavity cover is missing and I was needing to know where I can get a replacement. Thanks.

Comment

Best thing to do with that trem, is to block it with a piece of wood...

Comment

Working...
                            X