Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2 and DK2M Questions

Hey All-

Couple quick questions on the DK2 and DK2M...

1) Are they essentially the same guitar, just different pickups and necks?

2) What tremolo's are on these? They claim "Jackson low profile", but it is a licensed Floyd or what?

3) On the DK2M (or any maple necked-guitar for that matter), does the neck show more wear and discoloration, over time, than a rosewood neck? Or is it so minimal (with clean hands) that it doesn't matter.

4) How long have these been made and do the older versions have any differences?

Thanks!

the bridge is a low pro licensed floyd rose, with the jackson logo
    "You deserve what you dream"

Comment

1) yes, the fingerboards are made of different woods.

2) licensed floyd

3) that's like asking if a white car shows more dirt than a brown one. the answer is yes, maple shows more dirt than rosewood. it's not an issue you should concern yourself with. only after years and years of dirt buildup would you start to notice, and then you just clean it off...

4) someone else know this?

Comment

I have a DK2 so I'll see how I can help:

1) Pretty much, yep

2)The trem is called the JT580LP. It is a very solid trem. Mine has had 0 tuning issues in the nearly 2 years I've had it. Get guitars with black JT580's. The old chrome ones are lower quality(supposedly).

3)I can't really comment but I imagine it would take a while to get it dirty.

4) DK2Ms first released in 2006 so you don't have to worry about the Black Vs. Chrome hardware thing. Standard DK2's have been around longer. Pre-2006 DK2s have Duncan Designed pickups and chrome hardware. Post-2006 Dk2s have a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge along with 2 stacked humbuckers in the single coil slots(I love the singles). Post-2006's also have black hardware including the Licenced Floyd, the previously mentioned JT580LP, which is supposedly much higher quality than the chrome ones though I'm going off rumour and speculation.

I would recommend going with a post-2006 if you are going for a current model Jackson. There of course is all the old 90's Pro's that you can get if you go on eBay if you wish (Ask someone else about those).

I hope I helped you out a bit.
        "Dear Dr. Bill,
        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Ben pretty much covered everything, but I'll have a go too. I have a DK2M, but not a DK2.

1) As far as I know, the DK2 and DK2M are identical aside from the pickups and the fact that the DK2 has a rosewood neck & black headstock, while the DK2M has a matching maple fretboard and headstock. Other than the different wood, the fretboards are the same, compound 14"-16" radius, 24 frets and plastic inlays. The DK2M has black binding around the fretboard and headstock which works really well with the maple neck and fingerboard. The Jackson website says that the DK2 has ivoroid binding.

The pickups are Seymour Duncan JB (bridge) and Jazz (neck) in the DK2M, while the DK2 has a JB (bridge) and two STK-1s in the middle and neck. From what I've read I think these are stacked humbuckers, like Ben said.

2) The tremolo is the same on both guitars, that is the JT-580LP licensed Floyd Rose. It's a low profile Floyd similar in design to the Floyd Rose Pro, and mine seems pretty solid. From what I've read, the JT-580LP seems to be about the best licensed Floyd that doesn't cost as much as an OFR. What I mean is that in order to get a better licensed Floyd, you'll probably be paying as much as you would for an OFR, for something like a Schaller or Gotoh.

3) I have only recently bought my DK2M, and I have noticed a couple of dark smudges on the fretboard. I think they might have been there already, as I don't think I could have already muckied up my fretboard (my hands are usually pretty clean ad I haven't had it long), but I don't remember seeing the smudges in the shop. I wouldn't let the fact that dirt shows up more on maple put me off buying one though, which reminds me, I need to find out how you clean it.

4) The pro series as a whole was upgraded in 2006, to have real Seymour Duncans and black hardware. This included changing the old chrome JT580LPs for new black ones. Most people believe that the newer black ones are built better with better materials and are therefore better trems, but I don't know if this is true or not. The DK2M was introduced at this time, so there are no older versions. The DK2 does have older versions, though. The pre-2006 version is basically the same design, but has Duncan Designed pickups and the chrome hardware.

Finally, I would definately recommend the current models of either DK2 or DK2M. They're fantastic guitars for the price. Personally I went with the DK2M because I thought that the matching maple fretboard and headstock with black sharkies and black binding was drool inducingly beautiful and I'd rather have HH than HSS, but I wouldn't say no to buying a DK2 in the future.
          I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Thanks for all the info, guys...very helpful!

I was thinking of finding a Charvel with a Schaller, but maybe I would be better off scoring a DK2 or DK2M. I am in no hurry, so I can lurk the 'bay and CL to see what pops up.

Just saw another post where a JCFer got an EDS DK for $200!

Good info on the black vs. chrome hardware, too, thanks for that. Glad to know that my my ONLY choice (black) is considered superior...I only like chrome on my Harley

Thanks again, guys, if any of you see a DK2 or DK2M, especially in a transparent blue, you know where to find me...

Comment

Just a quick follow-up...the Jackson website lists the two single coil pickups on the DK2 as single coils, not stacked hums, so not sure which DK2's may have the stacked hums.

Comment

The STK is short for stacked. What they are is a single coil that has a second "coil" to make it a hum canceling single coil.
                i can't find the stk-1 on SDs web site but this is the 4
                Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Comment

Yep, ivoroid binding on standard DK2's. I took the covers off my STK-1's and there definitely are 2 coils, same as my Fender's Noiseless pickups. Oh, and if you don't like the JT580, it's a direct swap for an OFR.
                  "Dear Dr. Bill,
                  I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by MarkThomas View Post
                    Hey All-

Couple quick questions on the DK2 and DK2M...

1) Are they essentially the same guitar, just different pickups and necks?

2) What tremolo's are on these? They claim "Jackson low profile", but it is a licensed Floyd or what?

3) On the DK2M (or any maple necked-guitar for that matter), does the neck show more wear and discoloration, over time, than a rosewood neck? Or is it so minimal (with clean hands) that it doesn't matter.

4) How long have these been made and do the older versions have any differences?

Thanks!
                    Here are you answers;
                    1. Yes they are essentially the same guitar (DInky Series)
                    2, The Whammy is "Licensed".
                    3. Yes the maple neck will show discoloration over time. It's inherent with maple fingerboards.
                    4. DK2's have been around for a while,but the current con-fig has been around since 2006. Prior to the Fender Buy Out, they came with Duncan Designed pickups. DK2M was introduced Jan 2006.
                    http://www.facebook.com/djloverboy

Comment

Working...
                    X