No announcement yet.

How many Jacksons have real MOP inlays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Jacksons have real MOP inlays?

The reason I ask is Ive got two dinkys...A DXMG and a 96 DR3 and they have the fake pearloid (?) shark inlays.

Ive got a K10 Pro that has real Mother Of Pearl inlays.....and they look hand fit to the neck...some of the inlays have a black plastic spacer along the top edge of the pearl. The neck looks much better than the others...but cant say it plays as well as the others.

So...anyway, is this a rare thing or a regular thing on the older kelly pros?

Thanks and god bless

the 90-93 pro's were pretty much as good as the usa guitars...real MOP inlays, log, etc.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

What's a K10? Is that some sort of Japanese market model?

Anyway, the mid '90s Kelly XL and XLR (reverse headstock/reverse inlays) had real MOP.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The Dinky RVS Professional (not in catalog?) has MOP inlays. To my knowledge, any first-series Pro or XL Professional has them, and I believe any Charvel with sharkies is MOP. The DK2 and DR3 were always pearloid/MOTO, as were the X-series.

I'm not familiar with a K10, but I'm pretty sure that the Musician's Friend exclusive "Pro" models and Guitar Center Anniversary models (DK2 and DKMG styles) were pearloid.
        sigpic

Comment

***The pic is distorted...dimensionally***** oh well.

Well....How do I tell if its real? I sure looks like it....completely different than the other two. Its looks real...and if it is...then what guitar do I have.
          Its a Kelly body, one volume/switch w/ no tone knob....Rose Trem and std headstock.

The K10 Pro was the Musicians friend model...if its not one of those...I have no idea what I have..........)_#&$)#%#*!!!!!!

Thanks.........God bless
          Last edited by GunLeatherGuy; 11-05-2008, 03:48 PM.

Comment

They stopped using MOP in 95 on imports( I have a 96 that still has it though)
            Your guitr looks like MOTO.
            Tap it with something metal like an allan wrench( not too hard). If it sounds bright it's MOP. The Jacksons with MOP are also going to have binding too.

Comment

Well...it sounds different when I tap on it...sounds more resonant or tinny? for the lack of a better description and looks much different than my DR3 and DXMG. I can see the veins/ridges in it....kinda 3dish??? if that makes sense? I think its real...but has no binding. I think I have a parts mutt Kelly......

The guys @ Jackson told me its a Japanese MOP neck but couldnt place what model it is exactly......they think its a mutt too.

Thanks and god bless.
              Last edited by GunLeatherGuy; 11-05-2008, 04:40 PM.

Comment

The model should be stamped on the neck heel and/or in the pocket.

Never heard of the K10 either. I know the KVX10, and the KE-10D (IIRC).

And those are not plastic spacers, it's epoxy and/or filler.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That's probably one of the Musician's Friend exclusives then. Some guitars have MOTO inlays that look better and a little more real than others. That doesn't look like real MOP to me. For real MOP, when you move the guitar around under different light, the inlays would change and seem to move a little bit.

Comment

Do they have that oil in water look? Natural light is the best way to tell.

Comment

these are all MOP

MOTO

Comment

Well...they are real, they have the oil water look and you can see "down into them". I look just like your third pic..It changes colors and depths in the light when you move it around.

A K10 Pro is the musicians friend limited run model....not the greatest from what Ive read....JT 500 trem and such arent as good as other stuff Jackson uses.

Ive seen older K3 Pros that have the MOP neck like mine with no binding like these at sweetwater music.

This is my guitar, but always thought the K3 Pro's had a bound neck. My guess is the older ones sometimes didnt?

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          For real MOP, when you move the guitar around under different light, the inlays would change and seem to move a little bit.
                          I agree with Joe, but also all MOP is not created equal. I have three guitars with MOP inlays, two USA Jacksons and a (custom) Jackson Stars. At least on mine, the USA MOP has more steel gray in it, while the Japanese MOP has more pink. They probably use a different mollusc supplier, but the USA guitars have more depth in normal light, while the Japanese one is more apparently the real deal under artificial light. Of course MOP is a bitch to photograph and these are the only photos I have to hand:

Comment

Originally posted by GunLeatherGuy View Post
                            Well...they are real, they have the oil water look and you can see "down into them". I look just like your third pic..It changes colors and depths in the light when you move it around.
                            Yours is MOTO/pearloid. It's most apparent on the very first inlay. I think of MOTO as having a "feathered" or "wispy" pattern to it, a more obvious figuring than on actual MOP. Some guitars, such as yours, have a more natural appearance than most that I've seen in the past few years. The Musician's Friend (and most other catalog) descriptions are not very accurate, as they often fail to differentiate between MOP and MOTO, or a real OFR versus licensed trem.

Ive seen older K3 Pros that have the MOP neck like mine with no binding like these at sweetwater music.

This is my guitar, but always thought the K3 Pro's had a bound neck. My guess is the older ones sometimes didnt?
                            The Kelly XL and XLR had binding and MOP inlays, but the KE-3 and other recent variations do not. The same is true of the RR-3, RX10D and various other Rhoads imports, which have MOTO inlays and no binding. Basically, Jackson imports have not had both MOP inlays AND binding since they still used the XL designation. A few Charvel imports had binding and dot inlays or no binding and MOP sharkfins, but to my knowledge, the only Jackson with MOP inlays and no binding was the Dinky RVS Professional.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GunLeatherGuy View Post

A K10 Pro is the musicians friend limited run model....not the greatest from what Ive read....JT 500 trem and such arent as good as other stuff Jackson uses.

Your inlays are moto, and so are the ones on that KE3.

Comment

Working...
                              X