Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Kelly PS6 - n00b advice reqd.

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum . . . I recently joined to get to the bottom of a few Kelly PS6 questions I have.

I have recently been offered a Jackson Kelly PS6, in pretty damn good condition with a DiMarzio (not sure of the exact model) in the bridge and a stock neck PUP. It also has a genuine Floyd Rose and a fitted case . . .

Now, I play a lot of metal - usually through my old warlock / SG / Variax, but I love the Kelly shape; always wanted a Jackson - just never had the cash!

So, converted into USD - This PS6 and case is being offered to me for about $390.

What does everyone think? I guess I need to verify if it is jap or korean? A start has been made on upgrading the h/w?

I understand that these performance series guitars are basically the pro series but with inferior h/w on them?

So, how much is the going market rate for one of these?

Cheers !!!

Hi, and welcome.
    I cant answer your question but until someone can, I can point you in the direction to do some research on your own. "click"

Comment

If you like the body style ? then they are very nice guitars! made in japan...I had one with stock hardware with emg81 in the bridge position........really a screamer and player....I am a set down player so the body shape was a problem for me...390 without photo is not a question I feel I can answer.[seen them for less] but yours has upgrades. And may well be worth the price! They are METAL guitars for sure
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Well, I should be 'borrowing' it on Thursday - as a try before you buy kinda deal . . .

I'm leaning towards offering £200 (~310USD) as a fair offer.

I'll post pics as soon as I can, just trying to NOT get ripped off here!! I really like this particular guitar, have played it before a few times and now it's 'up for sale' I want it - but not at any price

Thanks again . . .

Comment

I think you should not pay more than $300 for a "good" deal on this one

Comment

Yea if you can check ebays closed auctions? Get a ideal of what a stock one sells for,then add the price of a floyd and if you find out what pickup it has add that too.The only problem there, is they made more than one kinda of kelly [ps6] being one of the best of that group!not of all kellys! but of the perfomers it up there! 300.sounds good to me also,but they would be worth 390 in the shape you have stated. with upgrades.have fun!
            Last edited by john.w.lawson; 11-10-2008, 01:58 PM.
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I bought a PS3 new back in 96 or 97. And it was 666.- DM which equals about 330 €.

Comment

The stock trem and pickups are generally the weak points of the Performers, so even though upgrades shouldn't be valued at the cost of each part, a DiMarzio bridge pickup and an OFR would be considerable improvement. If it is a Japanese version (12th fret dots close together) and in fairly clean condition, an offer of 330-350 wouldn't be unreasonable.

Are the Performers rare or greatly in demand? No, but these are instruments made 10+ years ago, and the number of well-maintained guitars from that era is starting to decline.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                  The stock trem and pickups are generally the weak points of the Performers, so even though upgrades shouldn't be valued at the cost of each part, a DiMarzio bridge pickup and an OFR would be considerable improvement. If it is a Japanese version (12th fret dots close together) and in fairly clean condition, an offer of 330-350 wouldn't be unreasonable.

Are the Performers rare or greatly in demand? No, but these are instruments made 10+ years ago, and the number of well-maintained guitars from that era is starting to decline.
                  +1

Comment

Jdr94 is your kelly guy! He knows them and has a rather nice kelly pro

Comment

Working...
                    X