Help selecting budget guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help selecting budget guitar

I'm looking to get back to playing after about 5 years off. I've been playing for aroud 15 years total and I'm looking at a new 80's metal guitar. Here's the dilemma, I'm likely picking up a Bugera 6260 combo this week and that leaves me around $500-600 to work with. I'm looking at several guitars, including the RR3, RX10, DK2, and DXMG. I'll be heading down to guitar center (Two hours away, I live in the middle of nowhere) to play several different guitars and I want to be up on them before I buy one.

Are the quality of the necks, bodies, and assembly the same for the RR3 and RX10? I can always swap out electronics and pickups, which I'll likely do anyway with either guitar. I see the RX10 has a licensed floyd and not the JT580? I"m guessing the licensed one is crap, can it be replaced with an original floyd, are the dimesions with jackson's trems the exact same?

Next I'm guessing the differences between the DK2 and DXMG in quality will reflect whatever the difference between the RR3 and RX10 are? How do the DK2's compare with the RR3's? Are they the exact same necks?

Lastly I know this is a Jackson site but any advice on the Esp Kirk Hammett KH202, or the Ibanez S320 would also be appreciated, I'm considering those as well.

All things considered I'd love to just pony up and buy a soloist, but I'm very limited at this point, and I'd like to have a nice amp as well. I have around a $1100 budget for both the guitar and amp and I'd rather buy new so I have a warranty at this point. I'm only playing recreational, not playing out and other than jamming with friends I don't have a plan to gig at any point. I haven't ruled out buying a blackheart little giant instead of the bugera to put more cash towards an axe but I'd like to play one first, I like 80's hair stuff and "brown sound" so I'm not sure if I can coax that out of the blackheart or not.
    Last edited by bacon; 11-30-2008, 04:36 PM. Reason: changed title

bacon- You've got a lot of options if you have 5 or 6 large to spend. Right now it's a buyers' market and getting a new axe from Guitar Center should be your last option. Take your time and do some research on the web before you blow your dough. If you do want to buy an axe there, wait until after the holidays and you'll get a better deal. Remember always haggle over price if you can. They can always take a few bucks off to make the sale. Another thing, ask if they can throw in a pack of strings- 99% of the time they will. Oh yeah- don't hesitate to walk if the salesperson is a jerk. I'm sure all the JCFers will give you some more advice.
    Last edited by triplehold; 11-30-2008, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I do know as though I'm going to buy from guitar center, but it's the only place close by that I can sit down and play a few of them to get the feel of the necks. I'm not super picky about necks I just like low actions. I've owned a million $300-400 guitars over the years and was really happy with a lot of them and very dissapointed with others. I've purchased quite a few from musician's friend over the years but I always like to get the "feel" of them and make sure the fretwork is good and there's not dead spots and such.

Comment

The Rhoads and DK necks are different. The RR is 22 frets and the DK is 24. Not sure of the backshape, though. I think the RR3 has a thinner backshape than the RX, but I've not played either one, so I can't say for sure.

The JT580 IS the licensed Floyd.

Definitely use GC for the "hands-on, see how it plays" thing but buy from one of the Forum dealers. Either one will treat you right and get you a fair deal. You can buy a lot of guitar for $600, if you shop at the right store. GC is not the right store (unless they happen to have a used USA Jackson or 1990-94 neckthrough Pro for that price, then you're making out like a bandit).

As for the quality issues, Jackson puts more effort into using good wood and making sure they fit together and look good doing it (aside from a few isolated instances - no one has 100% quality ever) than most other companies. They may skimp on hardware and electronics to make sure you're getting better wood and construction, but those items are easily replaceable - bad wood is bad wood, but cheap pickups are the same size as good ones.

OFRs will replace any Jackson licensed trem you can find on today's models. Some of the older models are hit-and-miss with that, but the JT580 route is large enough to fit an OFR.

Some have expressed basic quality conerns with the Bugera Input jacks, but as I understand it's a simple do-it-yourself fix most of the time.

Talk to PineyHillsStudio, one of the JCF Sponsoring Dealers. He's a Bugera and a Jackson dealer, and a great guy to boot. He may be able to get you a package deal.

Matt at Matt'sMusic and Matt at OnlineStageGear, as well as Scott from Copperhead are also great guys. I've shopped with all of them over the years and have not had a negative experience. Those 4 are the only JCF dealers I've dealt with, so I can't offer any input on the others (Fullers, etc).
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Oops, didn't even notice the difference in frets! Thanks for the great info, I'll definately get with the guys on here before buying from guitar center!

Comment

I bought 2 jacksons without ever playing them. both are killer guitars that I got good deals on. I would not have them if it weren't for the internet.
            "clicky"
            "clicky"
            "clicky"
            "clicky"
            "clicky"

Comment

True what these guy say. I just got a new DK2T for 539.10 delivered off of eBay from a large seller. Shop around. I spent 3-4 weeks looking for a DK2T locally and on the web and the cheapest was 629.00. My patience paid off as with a coupon I got from eBay and the 599 price, I scored a NEW DK2T for 539 delivered and it's in one of the new colors I LOVE................

Good Luck!

Comment

surprised no one has started dogging out Bugera yet

Also, I know you wanted an 80s metal type guitar but with that price range, you may want to check out some of the faded Gibsons (price may get better if you price check online stores for GC to match or GC will probably have a huge sale after holidays). I really liked the Faded SG but the Xplorer is going down in price also.

Comment

I had an all american gibson sg several years ago which I believe is basically the same guitar. I did really like it, but I'd like something with a trem, I like the feel of the floyd rose bridges. I just pulled the trigger on a blackheart head for $100. I figure I can unload it for that if I don't like it. I already have an MI crunchbox distortion pedal and an old delay pedal. I'll likely buy a Weber MiniMass attentuator and boost the signal with the crunch box and add a little delay and hopefully I can get a good tube distortion out of it. I heard some pretty good sound clips on youtube, hopfully it works out. Anyway I guess I'll wait on the Bugera and put the extra dough towards a guitar right now. I still have an old analog amp that works ok. That means I could maybe bump up to around $700 if that makes a big difference in models?

Comment

Be sure to take a spritzer bottle Holy Water with you when you go. If the employees there get too aggressive just spray them and they should go hide behind the desk. Also, be sure to spray all the ESPees. You'll be surprised to notice that they will catch on fire, disappear, then reappear as the guitar of a different company that that particular model was trying to copy.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

If youve got $600 to spend you are close to scoring a USA production charvel off ebay if you use the live.com discount. I think someone mentioned that they also used the 10% coupon too. It would be a shame to spent that on an import if youre so close to affording a USA charvel.

Here you go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-San-Dima...lenotsupported
                      Last edited by Carbuff; 12-01-2008, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        (unless they happen to have a 1990-94 neckthrough Pro for that price, then you're making out like a bandit).
                        im still pissed that I couldnt get the Soloist that was at GC for 400

Comment

Well I have to be honest I just jumped ship. I decided to try out a Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe. I got it discounted $100 so it came out to $560 shipped to me. It looks pretty nice I figured I'd at least check it out and see I can always send it back. It has set neck, original floyd rose, grover tuners, figured maple, binding, and emg 81 and 85, not too bad in hardware and features for sure, I'll have to wait and see how it plays.

Comment

Pics?
                            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                            --floydkramer

Comment

Here's a pic from thier website this is the finish I ordered. I'm a little nervous since I can't play it first, but again the place I ordered from will allow me to send it back if I don't like the neck. I'm definately not concerned about the hardware or pickups it's all top of the line. I do hate the headstock though, but I can live with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X