Zzzaaaappppppp!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zzzaaaappppppp!!!!!

for christmas i got a beautiful white DK2M that is a dime to play. however! ive been fucking electrocuted by the damn thing over a dozen times by now. it seems that when using bar style chords it shorts out thru the strings which ive never experianced before... and before i go ripping open my beautiful new guitar, was just wondering if anyone has a suggestion of where to look for a loose ground. is it the trem? or the pots? or the input? thanks

Comment

Get a polarity checking indicator for your outlet!
      Now!

It isn't unheard of that the wall outlet could be miswired.

What amp are you using?
      Does it have a three prong plug?
      Is the grounding tab broken off?

There shouldn't be high voltage AC running through the guitar regardless of whether there is an internal problem with the guitar or not.

Comment

Ok Doom,

The issue is NOT your guitar.

The issue is with your AMP. Your amp is messed up.

I'll need a lot more details before I can help any further, but lets just say you better get that amp fixed quickly or you'll be visiting the grim reaper.

Comment

"High voltage rock n' roll!"

Comment

hmm thats odd aswell, because the amp is brand new as well. its a peavey vypyr 30 ran into a surge protecter than ran into a UPS and havnt had any surging issues with the outlets because i run my computer among other things from it. but looks like the amp is goin back!

Comment

...And get something to check your outlet with.

Comment

You need to hurry up and post again...

Comment

huh what? got 3 prongs.. ground prong isnt broken. electrical system in the house has never once had a problem (10 yr old house) plus the amp is ran thru a surge protecter and universal power source. any other suggestions besides deep 6ing the amp?

Comment

Not sure if a surge or a UPS would detect reverse polarity.
                    The surge is sensitive to short circuits on the other end.

You wouldn't be around to tell us about it if you were the "short" in the system.
                    In other words...it could still be running hot to the chassis.
                    :x:

Comment

very well. i will try a different outlet to see if it goes away

Comment

very well. i will try a different outlet to see if it goes away. the shock doesnt feel lethal. just like a warm buzzing sensation that makes my hand go numb for a second.

Comment

Do you have a multimeter?
                          Check the plug to a true ground connection and see how much voltage is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                            Do you have a multimeter?
                            Check the plug to a true ground connection and see how much voltage is there.
                            +1

Try with a high voltage setting first or you'll fry your DMM. Then lower it.

You have to connect between the strings and a ground in order to be zapped.

Which has me puzzled. What type of floor are playing on? Are you touching something grounded when playing? with three prong plugs, it would have to be a severe electrical issue with the amp. Very strange.

Comment

well a surge protector wont protect YOU from getting electrocuted, it will protect the AMP from getting a jolt from the wall.

your amp is not grounded and you should take it to an amp tech. or if it's brand new just exchange it for another one.

Comment

Working...
                              X