Fun with my KE3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with my KE3

Hey all. For the past few years my beater guitar has been a 96 KE3. The bridge and hardware is stock and has never given me any problems. The pickups are Duncan JB and Jazz. This guitar has a really unique tone, it's heavier than my KE1 and has a really solid feel to it. It has it's fair share of battle scars as well.

I don't think I'll ever sell this one so I figured "what the hell, I'll paint it!" This is my first mod ever so go easy on me . I got some silver sparkle paint and masked off the bevels. I hit the bevels with some sandpaper to remove the clear coat. I realised I know jack about sanding a guitar Then I hit the bevels with the silver paint. I gave it 2 coats and the sanded down. Here are the mandatory before and after pics:

Before with big brother:

After:

It looks good up to about a foot away but it's still rough and needs some attention and maybe another coat or two. Now how do I clear coat this f*!ker? Any suggestions for further mods? I'd really like to refin the entire thing and do it properly but this was fun anyway.
    Last edited by levantin; 12-27-2008, 07:33 AM.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Looks OK bro but why dont you paint it neon-pink??

At least the bevels
    If your mum stabbed ya you wouldnt get upset... You would say ' Ohhh shit mum stabbed me! I better go to a hospital'. - Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
      Now how do I clear coat this f*!ker?
      Ummm....I'd guess get a can of clear and spray it?
      Any suggestions for further mods?
      It may be just me, but that rosewood just doesn't look right. Get some black ebony stain from Stew-mac and change the fretboard to black.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderhead View Post
        Looks OK bro but why dont you paint it neon-pink??
        Hmmm. How about not?

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        Ummm....I'd guess get a can of clear and spray it?It may be just me, but that rosewood just doesn't look right. Get some black ebony stain from Stew-mac and change the fretboard to black.
        It's actually pretty dark in person, the camera flash makes it look that brown. The first pic is slightly more accurate.

To clarify the clear q, should I shoot the whole guitar or just the bevels? I have no experience in sanding and buffing so this is going to be a bit difficult
        Last edited by levantin; 12-27-2008, 11:15 AM.

Comment

It looks good up to about a foot away but it's still rough and needs some attention and maybe another coat or two. Now how do I clear coat this f*!ker? Any suggestions for further mods? I'd really like to refin the entire thing and do it properly but this was fun anyway.
          Yep, I'd shoot it w/clear. Just make SURE that you use a compatible clear. If you used Krylon paint...use krylon clear.Tape it off. Shoot 3-4 thin coats of clear, take the tape off, wait a week or two for it to harden,then wet sand and polish. BTW, if DID use Krylon or Duplicolor or like, be REAL careful about putting the guitar on a guitar stand that has the foam rubber protective cushions. These cushions HATE that paint and WILL melt the new finish!

Comment

Krylon clear can take up to 6 months to fully cure, depending on the thickness. If the paint you used is Glossy, it's got clearcoat in it already, so a thin top coat of clear just to have it is fine, but not needed.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Orospu ettin gitarı Lev hahaha
              Check my bands!
              www.myspace.com/magicktr
              www.myspace.com/sinif64
              www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I'd mask off the guitar again and like the others say, a few coats of clear lacquer. Then use varying thicknesses of wet/dry paper to get the finish smooth and shiny again.

It looks like you did a decent job - I'd have used white myself but if you like it that's all that matters.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

that looks tight, Lev. I dig the silver bevels
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks for the comments and advice guys. I'll see what I can do about clearing it.

Comment

Looks good man.. Kinda reminds me of a Paul Stanley guitar I'd seen before.
                      Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Working...
                      X