RR3 or EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR3 or EX

I'm fairly new to the whole realm of Jackson guitars, I did own a couple of Charvels back in the early 80's but mostly been a gibson/fender guy and now a few godins.

I own a RX10D that I picked up a while back and have been loving it and have decided it's time to put a few more Jacksons into the fold.

I've got a chance to pick up either a RR3 or a Rhoads EX. Is one better than the other and why? The RR3 is about 3 years old, transblack. I can pick either one up for around $450 Canadian.

Any help or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Personally I'd play both and see which I like better. IMO both are nice guitars but comes down to which you like most.
    Gear:
    Jackson Dinky Rev. Pro
    Jackson Kelly (KE3?), Lawrence equipped
    Ibanez RG320
    Ensanada Acoustic
    Peavey Bandit 112
    Soon to Be:
    Pedals!

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonCharvelESP View Post
      Personally I'd play both and see which I like better. IMO both are nice guitars but comes down to which you like most.
      +1

Comment

I've played them both and they both feel great, I honestly can't say I like the feel and playability of one more than the other. It may end up being a tough decision.

Comment

I don't really know what I'm talking about, so don't take me too seriously. But it seems to me, as an RR3 owner, these guitars are ten a penny. They're very common.
          An EX model is rarer I believe. So, if it's of a very similar quality, and is the same price, I'd go for the EX every time.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I am kind of leaning towards the EX. I know they were only made from like 90-95. They have a poplar body and the RR3 has an alder body, so not sure what difference that would make sound wise etc. The EX has the jack on the lower wing, the RR3 on the upper, but I've never found that the jack on lower wing bothers me with my RX10D, I just use a right angled plug.

Comment

I'd go for the EX as well, because of the Poplar body. I prefer that over Alder myself.
              Also, the EX doesnt have a pickguard either, correct? I cant remember for sure.

What color is the EX? If it's White or Black then you have to buy it!
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven
              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I would go for the RR3 myself. The RR3 is the higher model I believe. The input jack would be an issue for me too-RR3 wins there. Poplar and alder sound about the same so the wood type doesn't really come into the mix. Love trans black!!!

Comment

I would go with the RR3 too. I compared my RR3 to the old EX of the other guitarist in my band and I say that the RR3 is better build. Just the jack being on the lower wing is a big letdown. Remember that those '90 Jackson are getting old too and they were not the high end (like the real pros).

Oh and the EX neck dives much more than the RR3.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                    I'd go for the EX as well, because of the Poplar body. I prefer that over Alder myself.
                    Also, the EX doesnt have a pickguard either, correct? I cant remember for sure.

What color is the EX? If it's White or Black then you have to buy it!
                    Yeah no pickguard on the EX, one control one toggle like the RX10D. it's a silver color.

Comment

Originally posted by strident.silence View Post
                      I would go with the RR3 too. I compared my RR3 to the old EX of the other guitarist in my band and I say that the RR3 is better build. Just the jack being on the lower wing is a big letdown. Remember that those '90 Jackson are getting old too and they were not the high end (like the real pros).

Oh and the EX neck dives much more than the RR3.
                      The headstock on the EX says professional, so isn't it one of the original pro series?

How come they neck dive more than an RR3, I had actually read that somewhere else on the web and I was curious as to why.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripper View Post
                        The headstock on the EX says professional, so isn't it one of the original pro series?

How come they neck dive more than an RR3, I had actually read that somewhere else on the web and I was curious as to why.
                        Maybe the strap buttons are in different places?
                        Whatever the reason, it's probably an easy fix.
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                          Maybe the strap buttons are in different places?
                          Whatever the reason, it's probably an easy fix.
                          If I remember correctly is has something to do with the jack plate location.
                          I have a KV3 with a Strat style jack on the upper wing like an RR3.
                          I also have a KV Standard which has a square Gibson style jack on the lower wing like the Rhoads EX.

I remember that when I relocated the strap buttons (I'm a lefty) that I had to move the KV Std. over a little more.
                          I usually measure 3 inches from the "V" and put the rear button there.
                          The front button is in the stock location (but on the other side for me)

I dont have any problems with neck dive on any of my guitars, so it might be the angle that I'm holding it at?

Either way I dont think you are going wrong with any of these guitars.
                          'Howling in shadows
                          Living in a lunar spell
                          He finds his heaven
                          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by Ripper View Post
                            No. The older "Pro" series were neck-thru models with ebony boards and binding.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                            X