Jackson RR3 Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson RR3 Opinions

Does anybody here have an opinion on the Jackson RR3? I've got a line on one of the limited-release ones that is in ivory with black pinstripes. It's got gold hardware, a tune-o-matic, and the Duncan Designed pickups that are supposed to be poor-man's Duncan Invaders. The pickups can be swapped for something else easily enough, although in my brief testing I didn't mind them. Usually you can't get the ivory-and-black combo without paying well over a grand.

I've always wanted to have a Rhoads with that paint job, but I'd definitely have to sell one of my current guitars to buy it. I'd want to make sure it's worth it.

The RR3 is a great guitar. I have a regular black/chrome model and I love it. Mine also came with the Duncan Designed "Detonators." They sounded pretty good but I swapped them out for a set of EMG's (81 bridge, 85 neck) and that thing cranks now. I love the way it plays and especially sounds now. You won't be disapointed.
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

Comment

I hated the Detonator's in mine, but the guitar overall is great. I did mine up with parts from Budman and some Seymour Duncan Blackouts.

You say it has a tune-o-matic bridge, which susrprises me, I thought all RR3s came with a trem.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
        You say it has a tune-o-matic bridge, which susrprises me, I thought all RR3s came with a trem.
        I did as well, but this one is definitely a TOM. That's probably just as well, rather than getting a cheap Floyd copy.

Comment

I love mine. It's a 2006 RR3 in Transparent Blue. I have Seymour Duncans (JB in the bridge, Jazz in the neck).
          Jackson RR3
          Jackson Customized JS30 Warrior
          Jackson JS1 Dinky
          ESP Explorer "MORE BEER" James Hetfield replica

Comment

I have an RR3R and I like it a lot. I put Seymour Duncan's Distortions in it, changed the pots, and bought custom parts from Budman, I love it. I think it'll be my go to guitar always
            In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

i had the rr3 black with gold pins that ams sells that has the tom bridge. there is definitely a difference between these and the regular rr3s with a floyd. i personally didnt like it as much as the ones with the floyd. i felt like they kinda dropped the ball on these. you might love it though. the duncan detonators in mine were pretty terrible. how much are they asking cause you can get the black/gold pins on ams for like 429 or 479
              dk-1 pile of skulls
              dk-2m white
              dkmg- black forest
              rr-1 black w/gold pins
              charvel custom white w/bloodsplatter strat
              p.o.s. randall halfstack
              peavey 5150

Comment

Originally posted by tarddad View Post
                i had the rr3 black with gold pins that ams sells that has the tom bridge. there is definitely a difference between these and the regular rr3s with a floyd. i personally didnt like it as much as the ones with the floyd. i felt like they kinda dropped the ball on these. you might love it though. the duncan detonators in mine were pretty terrible. how much are they asking cause you can get the black/gold pins on ams for like 429 or 479
                The few places I've seen it (since it is a limited run) is ~$600. Elsewhere I heard someone got one at Sam Ash right after Christmas for $350. I would have been so all over that. The only reason I'm really considering it is because of the classic ivory/pinstripe look. I've always wanted a Rhoads that looks like that. Unfortunately, I'd have to sell something to get it and then still look at replacing the pups eventually.

Comment

i replaced the pups in mine and it was fairly cheap considering im a duncan fan. i got a jb for the bridge and a jazz for the neck and it set me back 125 for the set. from my experience i wouldnt pay the 600 for it. if you wait long enough the prices will drop. thats always what happens to me when i want something thats been out for a while and finally get it, the next day it gets marked down. what would you be selling?
                  dk-1 pile of skulls
                  dk-2m white
                  dkmg- black forest
                  rr-1 black w/gold pins
                  charvel custom white w/bloodsplatter strat
                  p.o.s. randall halfstack
                  peavey 5150

Comment

Originally posted by tarddad View Post
                    i replaced the pups in mine and it was fairly cheap considering im a duncan fan. i got a jb for the bridge and a jazz for the neck and it set me back 125 for the set. from my experience i wouldnt pay the 600 for it. if you wait long enough the prices will drop. thats always what happens to me when i want something thats been out for a while and finally get it, the next day it gets marked down. what would you be selling?
                    That's the thing. Since it's a limited-edition thing, I don't think the price will go down since there is only 100 of them. I'd probably have to sell my Fender Showmaster Celtic H, but I wouldn't be thrilled about it, that's for sure.

Comment

Their alright, I had one in black/chrome with duncans, Only thing, I just dont like the pickguards imo the volume knob is too far for me, I prefer just one volume near the strings for volume swells while picking, and no that never hinders my picking style because I pick with a floating right hand. I Also dont like unpainted necks, how strange huh? I just love a glossy painted neck for some reason, even though alot of people love the raw wood feel. It all comes down to, what do you want, right?
                      www.myspace.com/memnochband
                      www.myspace.com/thefairyprincesses

Comment

this is mine with the budman parts on it. sh-6 in the bridge. I left the neck pu the duncan design because i don't use neck pickups. Mine is poplar so it's a bit heavier.

I have never had a single issue with the bridge. I have dive bombed, pulled up got wild and have never so much as gone out of tune. I think most of the complaints about the bridge are unwarrented, but maybe I just got lucky.

Like i said before it's still one of my go-to guitars. I play it more then my other three rhoads.

Eventually I'll be getting the same control set up on my white Rhoads.
                        In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

I like that pickguard. I find the stock location to be in my way too much.

Comment

Yeah the Bridge on the RR3's are fairly stable I found. Same with the LTD Licensed Bridges, their getting really good these days. Only Problem I had with my RR3's bridge was the tremelo arm itself, It literally snapped one day so I had to get a new arm, really weird. But it looked sweet when it happened, I was playing at a club and went to do a divebomb and it went down a bit then I heard such a loud CRACK through my amp because I guess it resonated into the pickups, it was cooler than a string break I think. So I threw the arm on the ground and played the rest of the night as a hardtail without the benefits of tuning LOL.
                            Dont mind me, im a 21 year old with more stories than a man thrice his age.
                            www.myspace.com/memnochband
                            www.myspace.com/thefairyprincesses

Comment

Working...
                            X