what kind of rr3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of rr3?

guys, im wondering what kind of an RR3 is this? it has reverse headstock? i dont think there was an RR3 model that was reverse headstock was there?
    its being sold to me for about 500 dollars. it has bill lawrence and duncan in it. it seems to have 24 frets... reverse headstock with Grover Jackson on it, and the neck is binded.

well much of every reverse headstock also has reverse sharkfin and the only candidate i have for neck swap is the DKMG, but the DKMG aint binded. SO im really wondering if this was a custom make or really a rare model in the Grover Jackson (supposedly japanese market only) or a neck swap. But i understand import rhoads thast are 22's would need body fixing and moving the pickup lower, but this one all seems to fit in right.
    Last edited by leevan_lee; 01-20-2009, 02:56 AM.

It's called an RR3R.
    Here's a pic of one.
    -Rick

Comment

that link only has 22 frets, while he posted one with 24, chrome hardware on the RR3R aswell.
      New neck perhaps?
      Marshall JCM800 2203
      G12K-100w Cabinet
      Jackson RR24

Comment

Originally posted by nitro_D View Post
        that link only has 22 frets, while he posted one with 24, chrome hardware on the RR3R aswell.
        New neck perhaps?

sorry by the way it says Grover Jackson on the headstock.. what does that mean? enlighten me please

Comment

Jackson never made a 24 fret RR3R.
          Looks like someone stuck a 24 fret neck on an RR3. It will never intonate.
          You can't put a 24 fret neck on a guitar designed for a 21/22 fret neck.
          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
            Jackson never made a 24 fret RR3R.
            Looks like someone stuck a 24 fret neck on an RR3. It will never intonate.
            You can't put a 24 fret neck on a guitar designed for a 21/22 fret neck.
            sorry by the way it says Grover Jackson on the headstock.. what does that mean? enlighten me please

Comment

Originally posted by leevan_lee View Post
              OK... well that will make a difference.
              Grover Jackson guitars are for the Japanese market only.
              I'm not familiar with all the options they are selling, but a 24 fret Rhoads is not out of the question.
              -Rick

Comment

OK... well that will make a difference.
                Grover Jackson guitars are for the Japanese market only.
                I'm not familiar with all the options they are selling, but a 24 fret Rhoads is not out of the question.
                does that mean they are of lesser quality than the PRO series of the normal import Jackson? or Is Grover Jackson just as good or better?

Comment

does that mean they are of lesser quality than the PRO series of the normal import Jackson? or Is Grover Jackson just as good or better?
                  They come out of the same shop as the Pro series.
                  I would say they are of equal quality.
                  -Rick

Comment

They come out of the same shop as the Pro series.
                    I would say they are of equal quality.
                    dang i wish this is a good guitar. and that there really was a 24 fret reverse grover..

Comment

wow, i saw this guy on youtube hes from japan and hes playing on a 24 fret Grover Jackson Rhoads, the only diff is mine is reversed headstock, things are looking up for me

Comment

ive searched around the net but i still cant decipher the magic to this guitar i havent seen any Reverse rhoads even from japanese sites, but i do see that most grover jackson rhoads are 24 fret :o neck swap or not? i dont know

Comment

well i was looking at the position of the pickups and they are alot closer together than a standard 22 fret so i would say that guitar may be legit. Im not certian of it tho still nice.

Comment

ive searched around the net but i still cant decipher the magic to this guitar i havent seen any Reverse rhoads even from japanese sites, but i do see that most grover jackson rhoads are 24 fret :o neck swap or not? i dont know
                            How is the intonation?

If you don't know what that is I'll tell you a basic way to tell:

Try this:
                            1. Play a 12th fret harmonic
                            -remember that note
                            2. Play the 12th fret regularly (Press down on the fret)
                            3. Compare them
                            -Are they the same note? If they are it's intonated properly. If they are a little off you need to intonate your your guitar. If it's REALLY off then the neck was swapped or your guitar is in desperate need of a complete setup.

You can also check the tuning of notes on the higher frets to see if it's the right neck. When a 24 fret neck gets put on a guitar that usually has a 22 fret neck the tuning of notes higher up on the fretboard gets messed up. This is due to where the neck pocket is cut in relation to several other factors.

Edit: Judging by the space between the pickups it looks like that body was made for a 24 fret guitar so you should be okay.
                            Last edited by Ben...; 01-20-2009, 07:30 PM.
                            "Dear Dr. Bill,
                            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                              How is the intonation?

If you don't know what that is I'll tell you a basic way to tell:

Try this:
                              1. Play a 12th fret harmonic
                              -remember that note
                              2. Play the 12th fret regularly (Press down on the fret)
                              3. Compare them
                              -Are they the same note? If they are it's intonated properly. If they are a little off you need to intonate your your guitar. If it's REALLY off then the neck was swapped or your guitar is in desperate need of a complete setup.

You can also check the tuning of notes on the higher frets to see if it's the right neck. When a 24 fret neck gets put on a guitar that usually has a 22 fret neck the tuning of notes higher up on the fretboard gets messed up. This is due to where the neck pocket is cut in relation to several other factors.

Edit: Judging by the space between the pickups it looks like that body was made for a 24 fret guitar so you should be okay.
                              I intonate with a tuner, ill play the open string then fret at the 12th and adjust to get the same note. Is that still effective rather than using the harmonic?
                              Marshall JCM800 2203
                              G12K-100w Cabinet
                              Jackson RR24

Comment

Working...
                              X