Bought a used DXMG at GC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a used DXMG at GC

In Black. Great looking rosewood fretboard, frets are mint nicely polished with no sharp ends, looked in mint shape. They admitted that they just got it (little creaps didn't get a chance to ding and scratchit up). With whammy bar but no case.

Basically this is in mint new shape if you'd ask me. Even the setup doesn't appear to be messed with, plays similar to my SL2H.

$262.19 out the door. Good price or should I take it back?

I figured the reverse head bound neck with sharkies should be worth that almost by itself.

Of course I'll be checking ebay completed actions but I thought I'd through this out before heading to work.

For a mint one that is a good price. That's about what you would pay for a crappy one.

Comment

Thats a good price, I woulld have snagged it for sure.
      2008 DXMG in Gray w/ Duncan Mayhem set
      2007 DK2m White Bengal
      88 Jackson limited edition
      Charvel Preditor
      PS-3T Rhoads Performer
      Jackson DX10D
      3 Randall RGT 100 ES tube heads
      4 JCM900 4x12 bottom cabs
      Rockman 1/2 rack Chorus/Delay
      Roland GP-8 Rack processor

Comment

That is a great price. The only knock on those is some people dont like the hz pickups and others dont like reverse headstocks. So, many people will figure a pickup swap into the price. But from your other thread you like the hz's so youre good to go.

Comment

I've gone through all of the threads on DXMGs (lot's of reading) but have some questions.

Mine is a newer DXMG s/n 9830030 with the newer, non-low profile trem (looks like a PING OFR with OFR style locking bolts out the back of the trem). In the threads I read, some said the EMG-HZs were H4's, but most people said they were H3's.

Do we know for certain which EMG-HZ's are in the newer DXMGs? Whatever these are, they are similar in tone to the JB in my Soloist. The JB seems to have a little more edge, but both sets of pickups have a full midrange response. It sort of makes sense - why not try to copy Duncan's most popular pickup?

Also, I got lucky in that the neck is quarter-sawn instead of flat sawn. Chance of the draw.

Edit:

Been A/Bing between the DXMG and the Soloist. I can get the Soloist to sound like the DXMG if I turn the tone down some. So I'd same these EMG-HZs sound like the JB with some of the harshness trimmed down.

This is what I was playing along to as a reference tone:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
          Last edited by DonP; 01-21-2009, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Mine was one of the older original ones. It didnt have the lo pro trem. It had the one with the long bolts and the fine tuners that point straight up. Ive heard that it was made in India with that trem. Im not sure which pickups were in it, h3 or h4. I think your description of them is spot on. Some people consider them dark or muddy, like the tone is rolled down.

Comment

Whoa! Quarter-sawn? Where did you get that info?
              Crafted with the demands of the discernible player in mind, Jackson guitars give you the shapes, finishes and tones you love. From the venerable Rhoads, Soloist, Warrior and more, shop Jackson for the highest performance.

My band-mate has a DXMG and he plays on it every evening. but he has swapped the stock emg's for actives. but his neck and my Dk2T's look & feel very similar except for the reverse head-stock.
              Sam

Comment

Those have the H3s. I don't think Jackson uses the HZ4s

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                  Whoa! Quarter-sawn? Where did you get that info?
                  I got that info by looking at the grain on the back of the neck silly

Most necks seem to come out slab cut, but this one got lucky I guess.

Comment

Also, going through all of those old threads, I found a lot of confusion about neck thickness. Some say thick, some say thin.

This neck is thin.

My DK2 I bought used (like new condition, overstock clearance with no s/n and stamped USED on the back of the headstock) on ebay in early 2005 is thick.

I think there was a time in Japan around 2003-2004 where the bolt on neck profile was changed to a thicker style, but then the idea was dropped. I think this change impacted all models of import necks, and led to a bunch of confusion as to which neck is thick or thin.

Comment

Can you please post a pic of the back of the neck?

The DXMG my bandmate has, I felt was the same thickness as my DK2T but I will confirm this saturday.
                      Sam

Comment

The DXMG my bandmate has, I felt was the same thickness as my DK2T but I will confirm this saturday.
                        Camera is in Cinci, I'm in Nashville - it will be a while.

Comment

i just picked up a dxmg on the ebay out the door shipped 217 but it has the blackouts. i figured since it has some dents and dings atleast the pups were worth it.
                          ESP ltd EX-260
                          Jackson Kx10
                          Jackson DXMG (SD Blackouts)
                          Crate GFX-212T
                          Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
                          Dunlop Crybaby from hell

Comment

mine comes in on tue-ish i can get you a shot from my iphone
                            ESP ltd EX-260
                            Jackson Kx10
                            Jackson DXMG (SD Blackouts)
                            Crate GFX-212T
                            Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
                            Dunlop Crybaby from hell

Comment

Working...
                            X