Performers/Prefenders vs DX10/JS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performers/Prefenders vs DX10/JS

Hey im just wondering, old Performers and Prefenders are selling for much cheaper than current DX10s and JS series, why is it that way? I mean, I know the build quality is much better on older ones and that should make the guitar more desirable. So its it really the brandnew-ness and the sharkfin inlays that is really paid for in extra with the new DX and JS series?
    Im really wondering if i should stick with hunting old jacksons or buy me a new modern one. i dont really get the difference of them.

Lots of the performers were made in Korea and are crap( wide dots at the 12th fret). The newer DXs have better trems and are now made in Japan. Much better guitars. The older performers that were made in Japan ala MIJ PS4s go for stupid money. The newer JS are better then the old ones but I would buy one myself.
    The old professionals are the way to go(not just the high end PROS)

Comment

Maybe because of all the bad non japanese performers, I was thinking between a DXMG and MIJ PS4 and ended up getting a PS4 because of the thin neck which is just preference but the qulity and feel of both is similiar and very very good. As far as the JS and non MIJ DX and performers I wouldn't even consider them especially when you can get a used PS4 for 200-300 or even a new DXMG for 350-400 (guitar center blowouts).

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        Lots of the performers were made in Korea and are crap( wide dots at the 12th fret). The newer DXs have better trems and are now made in Japan. Much better guitars. The older performers that were made in Japan ala MIJ PS4s go for stupid money. The newer JS are better then the old ones but I would buy one myself.
        The old professionals are the way to go(not just the high end PROS)

I have a wide dot PS2 that I put a Schaller/Jackson bridge on with a Bill Lawrence pickup in the bridge L500L. I have owned a DX10 and there is no comparison. The so-called Korean-built PS2 wins hands-down, but of course, I do my own setup as far as neck relief and such. I don't know what you are talking about the PS series being shit. I have also owned a JS30 with the tremlo 22-fret. They are not bad guitars. It stayed in tune, but the neck shape is not what I would call Jackson-ish. More like a Kramer. I have also owned a PS4 from Japan. To be quite honest, there really is not much difference between it and the PS2 which is supposedly Korean built. I am speaking to what I know. Not what I assume. I have owned Pros, Dinkys and they were pretty good also. Fret boards were wider than the PS series, but about the same quality, with proper adjustment. I have owned multiple Jackson/Charvel guitars. I have owned a 90's custom shop, when Jackson was Jackson, not Jackson Fender. While Jackson Fender guitars are OK, it's what you've had and what you've played that you base your opinions on. Mine are mostly based on guitars that were built in their hayday. If you've never played a Jackson Jackson, then the DX, DK, and etc. might seem like great guitars to you. It's all about your preferences and your preferences are all about your experiences with the guitars which you have played. Sorry if I offend anyone who currently owns a Jackson/Fender product. I have owned a couple and I hear that there are a lot of variances with the models, so maybe I just got some bad ones. Peace out!
        Last edited by john.w.lawson; 02-15-2009, 12:24 PM.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
          I have owned a 90's custom shop, when Jackson was Jackson,
          when Jackson was Jackson/Akai? They'd ceased to be "Jackson Jackson" back in the 80s. There are plenty of people here who own US Jacksons from the 80s AND from the current era who will attest that Jackson is still capable of making nice guitars, regardless of any pre-Fender mojo you may recall from your old AMIC-period guitar
          Hail yesterday

Comment

I have a wide dot PS2 that I put a Schaller/Jackson bridge on with a Bill Lawrence pickup in the bridge L500L. I have owned a DX10 and there is no comparison. The so-called Korean-built PS2 wins hands-down, but of course, I do my own setup as far as neck relief and such. I don't know what you are talking about the PS series being shit. I have also owned a JS30 with the tremlo 22-fret. They are not bad guitars. It stayed in tune, but the neck shape is not what I would call Jackson-ish. More like a Kramer. I have also owned a PS4 from Japan. To be quite honest, there really is not much difference between it and the PS2 which is supposedly Korean built. I am speaking to what I know. Not what I assume. I have owned Pros, Dinkys and they were pretty good also. Fret boards were wider than the PS series, but about the same quality, with proper adjustment. I have owned multiple Jackson/Charvel guitars. I have owned a 90's custom shop, when Jackson was Jackson, not Jackson Fender. While Jackson Fender guitars are OK, it's what you've had and what you've played that you base your opinions on. Mine are mostly based on guitars that were built in their hayday. If you've never played a Jackson Jackson, then the DX, DK, and etc. might seem like great guitars to you. It's all about your preferences and your preferences are all about your experiences with the guitars which you have played. Sorry if I offend anyone who currently owns a Jackson/Fender product. I have owned a couple and I hear that there are a lot of variances with the models, so maybe I just got some bad ones. Peace out!
            I guess 21 years of playing charvel/Jacksons and owned 30+ of them and a Grover Jackson USA Washburn I don't know boo. Included it that currently is a 2005 charvel San dimas, the 56th charvel model 6 made, and a 96 DX1.
            I can list the rest if you like?
            Don't trip over that ego too much dude. You upgraded you korean one so they must not be that great huh?
            Why do they suck
            JT500 trems suck-tone wise and they are made from cheap metal they will were out.
            The older Indian made ones the finish on the back of the necks suck.
            cedro (cedar)sucks as a guitar wood
            pickups-Lots of the cheaper guitars have crap pickups- no logo really bad, jackson logo are good tone wise but not very hot( not including the raised usa made ones), duncan designed are good to me, and kent armstrong are good.
            The Korean ones- When the ps1 and PS2 came out in 95( no not the ones in the catalog), I bought a ps1(looks like a JS1)-I had to go through a bunch to find one that did not have the scarf joint off, all the bodies you could see were the wood pieces were glued was under the finish, and the pickups would not spot feeding back when played loud. The low ends ones are good for what they are -beginners guitars. Some models came be upgraded and made better but others are just polishing turds.

Comment

Trippity, trip, trip. Sorry, no ego. Just facts. Don't like 'em? Fine with me. I included an apology for people just like you. The bridge was broke is why it was replaced, so I cannot state the quality of it. All three of the pickups are Jackson logo. I had an L500 laying around, so go figure. The neck profile and finish are exactly the same as a MIJ PS4. The boards slightly lower quality, but all instruments are beginner instruments if you don't know how to play. None are if you do. Twenty-one years? Good for you. I have been playing for twenty-six and I don't get any meal discounts if I eat before 5:00p.m.
              Last edited by john.w.lawson; 02-16-2009, 09:00 AM.
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Bump!!!

Comment

ego well since you have been playing for 21 years who can argue with you,well someone with 26 I guess the bridge was broke so I can not argue with you on that point
                  I didn't say I was playing for 21 years I said I been playing J/Cs for 21 years. Since neither one of us is famous I doubt how long we have been player means jack. KK downing jointed Judas Priest when he had only been playing for 2 1/2 years. Maybe you're not egotistical but you sure like to be a dick.
                  I see you've edited as I type too

Comment

I do apologize. I was not trying to be a dick at first, but some of your comments seemed condescending so I reacted in turn. I started out playing in bands with Electra Phoenix guitar (didn't have rich parents). Aria Pro II. I remember when I got my first REAL guitar. It was a Kramer Pacer. After my band days were over, I got into Jackson/Charvel (got a job; had money). All guitars are what you make them. I would be happy to own any of the guitars that you mentioned. Once again, I do apologize, if you perceived my comments as being a dick.

Comment

Comment

The dinky reverse maple neck I got from Rick sure feels nice.
                        Very PS-4 ish.
                        I put it on my Grover Jackson DK1G body while I have some fret work done on that neck, which is very model-series feeling to me.
                        Once that's done, I intend to do something nice with that maple DR neck... it's just so niiiiiiiiiiicey!!!
                        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                        --floydkramer

Comment

Yea, rub it in my face, Spike. After going back and looking at this thread, I probably came off as a know-it-all. I surely don't know it all, though. I was going to buy the whole guitar off of Rich, but I needed it to be in a round number. That's the way my business account is set up, so my loss is your gain, Spike. What is the first guitar that you ever owned? Mine was a Kay SG copy. I think I was 13 or 14 years old. I thought I was bad ass then. My first song I learned was "Walk all over you". Ohh, the memories! Once again, I am sorry if I seemed like an ass. It is more than likely that I came off that way because I am one.

Comment

The dinky reverse maple neck I got from Rick sure feels nice.
                            That did look like a nice neck. Professional series?
                            Electra Phoenix guitar Aria Pro II.
                            Are those both from the Matusmoku( I am sure I spelled it would) factory? good guitars. My first 2 didn't even have names on them. The one had really high action and the other had a twisted neck but it had some cool effects built in.

Comment

Nah, you're a good dude John.

There will be other super cool excellent condition maple Dinky-Reverse necks...

or maybe there won't be!

LOL

(now, THAT is being an ASS)

Not sure about that Rich... perhaps Rick can shed some light on the neck for us (headstock has been refinned to natural)
                              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                              --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                              X