Performers/Prefenders vs DX10/JS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spikey's first:
    1979 (or '78, not sure) Fender Strat, red trans finish, maple neck, black pickguard.

That's the first one I "owned". Bought it with money from my first job (line cook at a Dairy Queen/Brazer).

We had a Teisco kicking around the house that was the first guitar I played/learned on for 8 years or so, but that was Uncle Al's.
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

Rich, are you talking about those strat-body guitars with all the big white switches on them? I am talking about the one with the effects. I remember a neighbor, when I was in grade school, had one. It was either a strat-body or a Les Paul. He used to come over and play Kiss (terribly) and that is hard to do. But, I was amazed at the guitar as a child. The Electra and Aria were both Japan made, I believe. I played out with them both with a Peavey backstage 20 or 25 watt (can't remember). Had an older singer that had a PA and he miked me. Our drummer played so loud, he didn't need to be miked. I have an MIJ Westone right now that I wouldn't sell unless it became ABSOLUTELY necessary for my family's well-being. Really, the point is, guitars are what you personally make them. Nowdays you have locking nuts and still go out of tune when back in the day you had guitars without locking nuts and got along just fine.
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Not sure about that Rich... perhaps Rick can shed some light on the neck for us (headstock has been refinned to natural)
        yep professional.

Comment

The Electra and Aria were both Japan made, I believe.
          at the same factory as your westone I believe. good rep for high quality.
          Rich, are you talking about those strat-body guitars with all the big white switches on them? I am talking about the one with the effects
          It was a Les paul shape. I actually got another one later from my brother and sold it at a garage sale. The guitar had like 9 effects with a on/off switch and a knob to change the speed of the effect.

Comment

the effects were alot like this guitar

Comment

Now that I think about it, I think it was a Les Paul copy. Something modeled after Ace Freeley's (sp?), but it had about 1 inch wide and about 2 inch long white (I guess what you would call switches). Not like what we would consider a switch today. More along the lines of what you would have seen on the stereos back in the '70's. Yea, that guitar that you just put a link for you could have bought at a garage sale for nothing, back in the day. Even the Electras go for stupid money nowdays. I have looked into getting another one for old times sake, but I haven't seen one cheap enough to warrant purchasing it.
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                Not sure about that Rich... perhaps Rick can shed some light on the neck for us (headstock has been refinned to natural)
                The neck I sold you Spike is a 93 DR neck. So yes, it is a Professional series neck.
                -Rick

Comment

Sure plays nice!!!
                  Thanks again brother.
                  --floydkramer

Comment

John's OK I've had a tit for tat with him a time or two but being different is OK.
                    He just has an opinion I'm just an ass.LOL Hey John SUP?
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

How many PS model #'s were there?? I have a Kelly I believe to be MIJ but appears to be a PS67... here's a pic or two............ #9616146

Comment

IIRC, there were 8 basic PS designations. Yours is actually a PS-6T (the stylised "T" [for trem] is often mistaken for a 7)
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Ok thanks........... what's the general opinion on these? Any good or bad?I saw one somewhere and it said it was a PS 67, looked just like mine, so maybe they were confused being a 6T and people mistake it for a 7.

Comment

People mostly like them a lot, myself included!
                            Great guitar-per-dollar ratio.
                            --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by leevan_lee View Post
                              Hey im just wondering, old Performers and Prefenders are selling for much cheaper than current DX10s and JS series, why is it that way?
                              i think its simply that most think new = better.
                              Last edited by jdr94; 03-04-2009, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X