Just got my Kelly pro, someting is wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my Kelly pro, someting is wrong

UPS just dropped off the Kelly pro I bought from e-bay, the strings at the first fret are almost touching the fret and the neck flexes so bad at the head stock that it will cause the strings to fret out completely [barely pushing down on it!]
    I don't see any cracks that would show the neck is damaged and the truss rod seems to be alright
    Any ideas whats wrong?? I am bummed to say the least

File a claim send that shyt back! I wouldnt touch it if I just paid for something that was supposed to work from the beginning! Oh and take pics of it coming out of the box and video too

Comment

That sucks, check the nut, make sure its not loose or something along those lines. You'd think there would be cracks in the paint if the headstock was not properly attached.

Comment

You may need to put a little shim under the nut. Use a piece of paper, business card or tinfoil to raise it up a tiny bit. Put new strings on it, tune up to pitch, let it settle for a couple days to acclimate to its new environment.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          You may need to put a little shim under the nut. Use a piece of paper, business card or tinfoil to raise it up a tiny bit. Put new strings on it, tune up to pitch, let it settle for a couple days to acclimate to its new environment.
          I was going to try this, but the neck just seems so soft, not sure whats up with that??

Comment

Look, ma, intelligence!

Ok, first, why are you pushing down on the head to begin with? 2nd, the action was probably set low for shredding, so flexing the neck like you're Randy Rhoads (when you have a perfectly good tremolo for that), will indeed cause the strings to fret out.

Blitz: Since it's already been opened, it's a bit late to take pictures or video of him taking it out of the box while the UPS driver is seen in the background immediately after delivery.

Anything that does NOT look exactly like that could have been done at any time. I would certainly reject a return with a video as "proof" if it was not one continuous clip from receiving the package from the driver to opening it and inspection, AND letting the guitar settle in its new environment for 3 days at least.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by metalone View Post
              I was going to try this, but the neck just seems so soft, not sure whats up with that??

Ok, time for some clarification here:

A "Kelly Pro" specifically refers to just one model: that which was made from 1990-95, in Japan, and has neckthrough construction.

Anything else Professional Series KE3, Kelly Pro XL (bolt on), KX10, etc, should be referred to by its full name and specs, especially if it's got a soft neck like some of the Made In India models.

As Toejam said, let it sit untouched/untweaked for a few days. Then check to see if the truss rod needs adjusting. It may have been completely loosened for travel (which is not necessary for electrics).
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Look, ma, intelligence!
                Where?!? :ROTF:

Comment

Look, ma, intelligence!

Ok, first, why are you pushing down on the head to begin with? 2nd, the action was probably set low for shredding, so flexing the neck like you're Randy Rhoads (when you have a perfectly good tremolo for that), will indeed cause the strings to fret out.

Blitz: Since it's already been opened, it's a bit late to take pictures or video of him taking it out of the box while the UPS driver is seen in the background immediately after delivery.

Anything that does NOT look exactly like that could have been done at any time. I would certainly reject a return with a video as "proof" if it was not one continuous clip from receiving the package from the driver to opening it and inspection, AND letting the guitar settle in its new environment for 3 days at least.
                  I was not flexing the neck like Randy Rhoads, it takes one finger to flex it, the reason I checked it is because I was sitting with it and when I leaned forward the thing sounded weird like it was buzzing on the frets
                  my other Jacksons/Charvels don't do this
                  I took pic's of it in the box as soon as I opened it, they didn't use foam or bubble wrap around the case the box just fit tight around the case no padding.

Comment

Ok, time for some clarification here:

A "Kelly Pro" specifically refers to just one model: that which was made from 1990-95, in Japan, and has neckthrough construction.

Anything else Professional Series KE3, Kelly Pro XL (bolt on), KX10, etc, should be referred to by its full name and specs, especially if it's got a soft neck like some of the Made In India models.

As Toejam said, let it sit untouched/untweaked for a few days. Then check to see if the truss rod needs adjusting. It may have been completely loosened for travel (which is not necessary for electrics).
                    The reason I said Kelly Pro is because that is what it is, Neck thru, made in japan,
                    like the USA models,
                    Last edited by metalone; 02-16-2009, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalone View Post
                      You really shouldn't be trying to push on the neck, but anyway, I've also noticed neck-thru King Vs and Rhoads bodies seem to have a little more flex in their necks when moving around a lot while playing. I think it's just inherent in the design with the V body... at least it seems that way with my RR1T and my Mustaine Dean V.

Comment

You really shouldn't be trying to push on the neck, but anyway, I've also noticed neck-thru King Vs and Rhoads bodies seem to have a little more flex in their necks when moving around a lot while playing. I think it's just inherent in the design with the V body... at least it seems that way with my RR1T and my Mustaine Dean V.
                        Yeah I have seen this on some Gibson SG's and as I said before I was not pushing on the neck hard or anything of the sort
                        I

Comment

here are a few pic's,camera sucks but oh well

Comment

after looking at it more the neck has a lot of back bow so the would explain the low action on the 1st thru 5th frets

Comment

Holy crap! Those strings are freakin' nasty.
                              Gibson SG Standard
                              Jackson DK2M Dinky
                              Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
                              Roland Micro Cube
                              Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

Working...
                              X