Just got my Kelly pro, someting is wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    Cool, it's a real live Kelly Pro - haven't seen anyone score one around here for a while
    Straycat mentioned one he found being sold on Craigslist in KY less than a month ago for (asking) $600. I didn't bite because the tips were chewed up more than I'd prefer.

Comment

Musta missed that one. Did he actually buy it or just spot it?
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        Straycat mentioned one he found being sold on Craigslist in KY less than a month ago for (asking) $600. I didn't bite because the tips were chewed up more than I'd prefer.
        I was negotiating with that guy when Straycat posted that. I ended up passing for the same reason that upper horn was chewed bad. Although the pickups were an EMG 81 and the 81TW, and its still a Kelly Pro, and arguably worth $600. I really considered it for a while but found something else. For those interested heres another one, the owner isn't very flexible but if it's worth $900 to you, it looks pretty clean.

Comment

The fret in the pick looks like it has raised up a bit and tilted up on the front side.I would address that problem first.Clean the fretboard and get all that gunk off.
          Then pull that fret clean the the fret channel and install a new fret.Thats what I would do.A truss rod adj is needed too.
          But you may be able to tap the fret back in place and be OK.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by etepbbb View Post
            I was negotiating with that guy when Straycat posted that. I ended up passing for the same reason that upper horn was chewed bad. Although the pickups were an EMG 81 and the 81TW, and its still a Kelly Pro, and arguably worth $600. I really considered it for a while but found something else. For those interested heres another one, the owner isn't very flexible but if it's worth $900 to you, it looks pretty clean.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/1006563045.html
            To think I passed on one with an asking price of $400. I'll never live that down.

Comment

Hey Brother,
              I hope you got tis whole neck thing figured out by now but, just in case. I am a F.M.I.C. authorized service tech here in St. Louis. Your guitar just needs some love in a bad way. Give it a good setup with your string preferance tweek the neck and intonate as needed. Clean and polish the frets and fingerboard as well.
              The neck is not doing anything out of the ordinary at all. Hell my vintage Gibson LP's neck will do the same thing.
              You can find setup info at www.floydrose.com
              Good Luck and Rck Out When Your Done!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShakeManG View Post
                Hey Brother,
                I hope you got tis whole neck thing figured out by now but, just in case. I am a F.M.I.C. authorized service tech here in St. Louis. Your guitar just needs some love in a bad way. Give it a good setup with your string preferance tweek the neck and intonate as needed. Clean and polish the frets and fingerboard as well.
                The neck is not doing anything out of the ordinary at all. Hell my vintage Gibson LP's neck will do the same thing.
                You can find setup info at www.floydrose.com
                Good Luck and Rck Out When Your Done!!!!
                Thanks Bro, Yeah iI cleaned the board and polished the frets last night, changed the rear pickup[they had a SD screamin demon non TB in there]
                and I am stringing it up
                I loosened the truss rod 1\8-1/4 turn with the old strings[It was really tight] and most of the back bow is out
                I will check it again after I restring it
                can't wait to play it,I will put up more pic's tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by metalone View Post
                  Thanks Bro, Yeah iI cleaned the board and polished the frets last night, changed the rear pickup[they had a SD screamin demon non TB in there]
                  and I am stringing it up
                  I loosened the truss rod 1\8-1/4 turn with the old strings[It was really tight] and most of the back bow is out
                  I will check it again after I restring it
                  can't wait to play it,I will put up more pic's tomorrow

You polished your own frets? Do you have a machine? We were suggesting that you actually let a luthier give the guitar a fret dress (all of the frets are ground to the same level).

Comment

What???????

Originally posted by Brooke View Post
                    You polished your own frets? Do you have a machine? We were suggesting that you actually let a luthier give the guitar a fret dress (all of the frets are ground to the same level).
                    Polishing your frets is not the same as getting them recrowned and does not require all of the frets to be at the same level.
                    Infact polishing is basicaly getting the crud, schmutz what ever you want to call it off of the frets so they are smooth to touch and shine like new. I use serveral differant methods here in my shop and on tour including Gorgamite (killer stuff avail at tour supply) 1000-2400 sanding sticks, 0000 steel wool & my wifes emery boards (SHHHH dont tell her) and alway follow up with a good Lemon OIL for ebony or rosewood only!!!!
                    Man if you need any help please ask! Dude I work on this stuff everyday! And Fender pays me to do it!

Comment

IMO that guitar is very worthy and needs the best overhaul you can give it get it done right.By all means get the frets leveled and recrowned.
                      No one noticed the kick up fret?
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                        IMO that guitar is very worthy and needs the best overhaul you can give it get it done right.By all means get the frets leveled and recrowned.
                        No one noticed the kick up fret?
                        It must be the pic as the fret is not kicked up, I took it to the guy who does my guitars and he was happy with it after the truss rod adjustment
                        No need for a recrown as there is really no fret wear and they are level
                        I don't have a good camera but I will get some more pic's soon
                        As far a polising the fret I have been doing it for years on my other guitars
                        0000 steel wool and silver polish I just mask the fret board and the pickups [magnets love steel wool LOL] and clean them up, I used lemon oil on the board and it feels great
                        I really want to say again I jumped the gun on posting the problem, if I would have just checked the back bow first and done the truss rod adjustment I would not have started this thread, sorry, but it got a lot of diffreant comments:idea:

Comment

new pic's

Here are a few more pic's, I just want to say I love this guitar it plays so smooth and has a great tone to it
                          I have a Parallel Axis Trembucker in the rear right now, but I have a JB that I swapped an A8 magnet in that I am going to try
                          I had to loosen the truss rod a little more after stringing and tuning [1/2 step down] but it is perfect now
                          Also it came in the case in the pic's and it is in great shape also
                          The color is a trip as it changes drastically as the light hits it
                          Thanks for all the suggestion guy's

Last edited by metalone; 02-20-2009, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Right on!!!! That guitar is a beauty... Glad to hear that everything is cool.....

Comment

Is that an aftermarket flip-flop paint job? It looked like black cherry at first, but I've never seen the black cherry change color in different light like that.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                                Is that an aftermarket flip-flop paint job? It looked like black cherry at first, but I've never seen the black cherry change color in different light like that.
                                No it is the factory paint but I don't know what they call it, it has different colors of pearl in it, look purple sometimes then a bronze/purple or kind of black in low light:think:

Comment

Working...
                                X