Changing the neck on my KE3, help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the neck on my KE3, help needed

I have a KE3 that has a standard shark fin/headstock and no binding. I'd like to have a neck that has a reverse headstock with reverse shark fin inlays and binding. Does such a thing exist that would be able to fit on my KE3 with no modifications? Thanks much for any help you folks can provide.

Jake

A DXMG neck is the closest you'll get - sharkfins are upright instead of reversed. I don't know if there are any older necks out there with reversed fins and blinding that would fit without intonation issues/need to mod. I was once offered a KE3 with DXMG neck a while back and it looked really good.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
      A DXMG neck is the closest you'll get - sharkfins are upright instead of reversed. I don't know if there are any older necks out there with reversed fins and blinding that would fit without intonation issues/need to mod. I was once offered a KE3 with DXMG neck a while back and it looked really good.
      +1

It's like the one neck with a combination of features that never got made.

You can get a reverse head, reverse sharkies and no binding with a DX10 I think, or like on my Kelly Star.

I'd like a regular headstock, bound neck, and just reverse sharkies, but this never god made either. I can get one without binding...

Comment

Alright great, thanks for the help guys, I'll be watching the bay for a DXMG neck.

Comment

I forgot to ask, will that neck have the same profile as my KE3 neck, or is the somewhere you guys know of that has that sort of information, I've Googled many times but not found what I"m looking for; maybe I'm using the wrong search terms?

Comment

Originally posted by jairic View Post
            I forgot to ask, will that neck have the same profile as my KE3 neck, or is the somewhere you guys know of that has that sort of information, I've Googled many times but not found what I"m looking for; maybe I'm using the wrong search terms?
            That's where you run into trouble.

To me, neck profiles seem to be all over the place - EVEN ON THE SAME MODEL.

My DK2 has a fat neck and it doesn't get played much because of it. I thought all DK2 necks were fat, but I've found some are and some aren't.

The neck on the DXMG I bought a little while ago was fantastic. I was really tempted to swap that neck with something else before I took it back. But some people said DXMG necks were fat as well. I think there were some years where they changed the neck profile, and this through everyone off.

It's all a crap shoot IMO. If you can, go to GC, find a nice DXMG, buy it, swap the necks, bring it back. If they think to ask about the neck, tell them it was that way when you bought it
            Last edited by DonP; 03-08-2009, 03:06 PM.

Comment

You have to ask if it's worth the money. This is going to cost about the same as a whole new Jackson import guitar would on ebay I'd think. And a reverse headstock just don't fit on a Kelly IMO!

I love the reverse sharkies on mine, but it'd be perfect with binding.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

DonP, Martin; I agree with both of you guys. At this point it would be more cost effective to just save up and maybe move up the food chain a little. I like the guitar quite a bit, and i was thinking of upgrading the trem and neck but it'd probably be better to just save up and get a KE2 or Soloist or the like. I appreciate your help guys!

Thanks!
                ~Jake

Comment

Smart man!

I'd love to get a black KE2.

Comment

It wouldn't harm to get a quote on a KE2 with reversed inlays and headstock. I'd imagine the upcharge shouldn't be much. If you're happy to settle for a stock KE2, then go for it.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                    X