Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My lucky escape & please help identify my Stealth

Hi all. Greetings from the UK.

This is my first post - I've just joined, because I've just remembered how amazing my Stealth is. However, a couple of weeks ago I nearly made a big mistake - I nearly sold it!

Sorry if this is a long post, but here's the story (and if you manage to stick with it to the end, I could use your help to identify which version of the Stealth I have).

I bought the guitar new in the early nineties, and it was my first choice guitar for about a decade. I don’t know how any hundreds of gigs I did in that time, but it never let me down. I don't think it even went out of tune! I carried around a cheap 'super strat' type thing as a back-up (don't even remember what it was), and I don’t think I used it once!

But as my musical tastes and playing style changed I was using it less and less. I moved house about 3 years ago, and I don’t think it had been out of the case since then. So when I decided I needed a new telecaster, I decided it would have to go.

I gave it a quick clean up and new strings and hawked it round the local music shops. I figured it would be worth a reasonable amount (I had a figure of £350 - £400 in my head, don't know where I got that from).

The best PX offer I got was £100, and the guy told me I could maybe sell it privately for £200 - £250. I went home thoroughly p****d off, but plugged it in and decided to have a blast for old times sake.

Wow. I couldn't believe how good it sounded and how good it was to play. The neck is amazingly fast, and the sound is awesome. It also surprised me what a wide range of sounds/tones it has - particularly on the neck and mid pick up. Now the situation is reversed - my other guitars are sitting there gathering dust, and the Jackson is the one I reach for now. I've used it at a couple of rehearsals (I'm now doing more of a soul/RnB thing) and it has worked out really well.

So, I'm now considering the whole thing as a lucky escape! It's definitely not for sale now, and I'll have to find another way to get the tele...

But it has got me thinking - were the shop guys idiots, were they trying to rip me off, or are they really not worth anything these days. I've checked the catalogues and similar posts on this forum, but I cant figure out which version of the Stealth it is, and what it is currently worth. So if anyone can help, I'd be most grateful

The serial number is 913463 so it was made in 1991?.

Having checked the online catalogues the only obvious differences between the models seems to be the fretboard - ebony or rosewood, and pick ups. I don’t know how to tell the difference between ebony and rosewood. The 2 single coil pick ups say Jackson, the humbucker has nothing on it.

Here are some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36828769@N08/

I seem to remember I paid around £700 ($1300 at 1991 exchange rates) but I could easily be wrong. (It was a long time ago and a lot has happened since then!)

(I appreciate most of you guys are in the US and so UK prices probably don’t mean much).

But if anyone could help I'd be keen to know.

Many thanks

Mike

Best bet for figuring out what private sale prices are like is to check around ebay to see what they're going for - check out completed auctions.

I would say, in general, shops are going to offer you as little money as possible on a sale or a trade - to them, your guitar is cash out of their pocket, and they want to give you as little of their cash as possible. It means they have more inventory to sit on and collect dust.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Its a stealth ex. Body is basswood. Trans finish models were the xl and made of ash.

Comment

Looks nice. The prices they have said are probably what you'd get over here, especially with the current economy.
        www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

i'd say $300 bucks for a right hander, i paid 350 for my lefty Stealth EX.
          "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Thanks to all you guys for your replies. Very helpful. Maybe I didnt pay £700 for it all those years ago, but if I had I wouldn't mind - it plays like a £700 guitar!

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X