X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup swap for Basswood KVX10

Hi There.

Please excuse my english, I'm form Venezuela

I recently bought my guitar (Jackson KVX10, Baswood Body, Licensed Floyd, Maple Neck, Rosewood Fingerboard).
    I was planning to change the stock pickups (duncan designed) with real duncans: TB-6 bridge and SH-1 (59) neck, but the problem is that there was a misunderstood with the person that bought the guitar and stuff for me in miami, and I ended with a Diamrzio Evolution bridge and a Paf Pro neck.
    I'm not completely happy with the Evolution, don't get me wrong, it is a great pickup, but it sounded too bright and harsh to my ears. At times I love the Evolution and at times I hate it.
    I'm looking for a good metal tone, with a lot of crunch in the rythms and blazing defined solos and screaming harmonics.
    I know that the amp makes big difference. Right now I have a Spider III 75w and a Digitech RP500.
    I'm looking for a pickup that gives me a fat chunk rhythm and defined notes in a fast run solos. I liked the evolution, but at times I find it too rough and too trebly, it lacks warmth and I think heavy rhytms lack of punch. The evo is a very tight pickup, which I like, and the pinch harmonics scream, but I still feel that I'm missing something.
    I don't know if the Evo2 is the answer to my problems, I'm also considering my original plan, Duncan Distortion Bridge, Duncan 59' neck, but I don't know how well duncans are in basswood.
    My influences are: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, Helloween, Metallica, Megadeth, Dragonland, Firewind, Pyramaze, Sonata Arctica, etc... you get the picture.

I'm open to suggestions (please, passive pups)

Thnx in advance

the distortion /59 combo is great for the bands you mentioned, although the distortion is also a brighter pickup with pretty sharpe highs, i haven't tried one is basswood but i have tried one in mahogany which is simular to basswood and i liked the sound. I say go for it, but if you want another duncan to try i would give the TB-5 custom.

Comment

also, you can never go wrong with a JB. (although people will beg to differ)

Comment

Originally posted by Foulacy View Post
        also, you can never go wrong with a JB. (although people will beg to differ)
        Yeah I agree. Never played a more versatile bridge pickup.. except maybe the gibson 498t. those are godly

Comment

Two Words..... Tone Zone!
          Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hendrix View Post
            Two Words..... Tone Zone!
            Another vote here for the Dimarzio Tone Zone!
            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

My favorite pickup in basswood is the Duncan Invader. I find it to be very balanced, great for both rhythm and lead playing. I recorded using a basswood Dinky with an Invader last night, so it's still fresh in my mind!
              sigpic

Comment

I would say JB too.

Comment

Working...
                X