rhoads or king v?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rhoads or king v?

Yes I'm a noob and I plan on buying a Rhoads RX10D or a King V KVX10 because its all I can afford (wife/kids). Which one is better? Opinions?

Thanks!

Welcome newbie.

Neither are "better" as they're both in the same series and will possess identical spec other than the body shape.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Thanks. So basically the only difference is that the Rhoads has 22 frets and the KV has 24 then?

Comment

project guitar

I'm planning on buying the X series but will upgrade many things on it. The pickups of course, the neck, get the bevels painted etc. Should be pretty killer when I'm done with it. There's no way I could afford a custom Jackson as beautiful as they are.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGRED924 View Post
          I'm planning on buying the X series but will upgrade many things on it. The pickups of course, the neck, get the bevels painted etc. Should be pretty killer when I'm done with it. There's no way I could afford a custom Jackson as beautiful as they are.
          doing the work on an axe is always rewarding and fun if you can find the time and money for it.

Comment

I most likely won't do the work myself. Will take it to a luthier and have all the stuff installed professionally. I'm going to end up spending $1400+ when it's all said and done. There's no way I could get my wife to buy off on spending that much up front so I'll do it in steps starting with a Rhoads RX10D and then getting some new pups (most likely DiMarzio D Activator X) and an OFR, getting the bevels painted white, swapping out the tuners and knobs/switches and then finally replacing the neck with a Warmoth maple reverse headstock. Should be killer when I'm done.

Comment

I hear you on the upfront costs, but putting $1,400 into that guitar seems un-economical to me at the same time.

There's lots of range between that model and a custom Jackson.......used is an option as well.
              Last edited by Larz; 04-06-2009, 05:38 PM.
              Jackson KV2
              Jackson KE1T
              Jackson KE1F
              Jackson SL1

Comment

I think a proper RR3 would come somewhere close to that, wouldn't it?
                Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

I'd have to agree with Larz. You can get a used USA Jackson for $1400 or less. My two WR1's were $1500 each including shipping to UK - the shipping alone is $125-ish. And USA's have real Duncans.
                  Last edited by wilkinsi; 04-06-2009, 08:22 PM.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Well nothing is set in stone. Thanks for the inputs guys!

Comment

To answer the original question though, I prefer the KV as I think the Rhoads boady looks a bit small.

If you are as big as your name implies, you might like the look of the KV better as well.
                      Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                        I'd have to agree with Larz. You can get a used USA Jackson for $1400 or less. My two WR1's were $1500 each including shipping to UK - the shipping alone is $125-ish. And USA's have real Duncans.
                        Agreed. 1,400 on an RX10D seems a waste, at the end of the day it's still an RX10D. try and get a rhoads pro or an older RR1. I've seen RR1's go for 800-1000$ sometimes.

Oh yeah, about the rhoads or king v thing.. well.. rhoads=22 frets, king v=24 .. so think about that. also most king v's have the speed neck, with the smaller frets, dunno about the X series though.

Comment

go check your local music stores for used jacksons.... there isn't a shortage of those trust me. there is this local store by me that has had two Kellys hanging for well over a year. im tempted to go up there and see what "model" they are and if i can swipe one of them for cheap since they dont sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahf View Post
                            Agreed. 1,400 on an RX10D seems a waste, at the end of the day it's still an RX10D. try and get a rhoads pro or an older RR1. I've seen RR1's go for 800-1000$ sometimes.

Oh yeah, about the rhoads or king v thing.. well.. rhoads=22 frets, king v=24 .. so think about that. also most king v's have the speed neck, with the smaller frets, dunno about the X series though.
                            I thought they all had jumbo frets except the custom shop USA's.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                              I thought they all had jumbo frets except the custom shop USA's.
                              KV1's and KV2's have medium jumbo. Dunno bout KV2T's.
                              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X