pickup advice for a MM1 Dominion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup advice for a MM1 Dominion

I just got a Dominion in the river bed finish. the previous owner swapped out the original pickups. I like the SD custom custom bridge pickup but i want to change the neck pickup either back to the 59 or to the jazz. my question is i was looking at the 59 and i see that there is the sh-1 and the sh-1 4-conductor, whats the difference between the two? which one came in the neck originally, the sh-1 or the sh-1 4-conductor? also i am curious to know which pickup would most of you choose for the neck the 59 or the jazz? please give your reasons for your choice.

You will need the 4 conductor version if you want to be able to use the dominion's coil tap switches. I don't really have an opinion on the 59 versus the jazz as I've only used the jazz. (Which I love in the neck position.)
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The 59 sounds great in the morton, but im a huge fan of the jazz, it has a brighter sound, more "modern" where the 59 is more "vintage" paf tone warmer. it all depends on what you like... whats in the neck now?

Comment

Originally posted by KBRR View Post
        The 59 sounds great in the morton, but im a huge fan of the jazz, it has a brighter sound, more "modern" where the 59 is more "vintage" paf tone warmer. it all depends on what you like... whats in the neck now?
        +1. I'm a big fan of the brighter Jazz pup in the neck, but the '59 works well. The '59 can be a little boomy/bassy in some guitars, but it sounds fine in my Morton. I was also originally thinking of changing the bridge '59 to something hotter, but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it, as the guitar sounds great as is.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Morton has since switched to Dimarzios... he isnt on the duncan site anymore...

the guitars that he is playing live have dual Breeds in them..
          Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

right now it has a jb in the neck which i am going to take out and put it into my other guitar. idk why that was put in the neck but it works out cause it will be used for my other guitars bridge which i was going to change anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              +1. I'm a big fan of the brighter Jazz pup in the neck, but the '59 works well. The '59 can be a little boomy/bassy in some guitars, but it sounds fine in my Morton. I was also originally thinking of changing the bridge '59 to something hotter, but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it, as the guitar sounds great as is.
              Since you have experience with the dominion and both pickups if you were to choose between keeping the 59 in the neck and replacing it with the jazz which one would you pick?

Comment

The JB is great for the neck position IMO.

You could put a 59 in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck to get the same setup found in the Jazz'R (which the MM1 is based on), but dual 59s suits this guitar perfectly IMO.

Ultimately it depends on you and what type of tone you're looking for.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by jace1 View Post
                  Since you have experience with the dominion and both pickups if you were to choose between keeping the 59 in the neck and replacing it with the jazz which one would you pick?
                  I think I'd have to stay with the '59 in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonite View Post
                    Morton has since switched to Dimarzios... he isnt on the duncan site anymore...

the guitars that he is playing live have dual Breeds in them..
                    Thats wierd, last months Guitar World shows both his guitars with Duncans in 'em. One with the '59s and the other with the Phat Cats in it.
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                      Thats wierd, last months Guitar World shows both his guitars with Duncans in 'em. One with the '59s and the other with the Phat Cats in it.
                      It's not weird. He's used all kinds of Duncans and EMGs, too. He's just a pickup whore!

Comment

EMG's sound great in my morton, i've got the 81tw in the bridge and the 89 in the neck .

Comment

EMG's sound great in my morton, i've got the 81tw in the bridge and the 89 in the neck .
                          I had a guitar with EMGs the 81b and the 85n in it and i really didnt care for them at all. I like the passive pups much better.

more than likely I am probably going to be going with the 59 for the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by jace1 View Post
                            right now it has a jb in the neck which i am going to take out and put it into my other guitar. idk why that was put in the neck but it works out cause it will be used for my other guitars bridge which i was going to change anyways.
                            Well you know, they make a neck and bridge version of every pickup, with the neck versions having less output, so if you put that pickup in the bridge of a guitar it's going to have less output then a regular jb.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahf View Post
                              Well you know, they make a neck and bridge version of every pickup, with the neck versions having less output, so if you put that pickup in the bridge of a guitar it's going to have less output then a regular jb.
                              Actually, they don't make a neck version of the JB. You can use it in either position, but make sure if it's in the neck, that the bridge pickup is hotter so it will balance out.

Comment

Working...
                              X