Re: 2008 SL3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
    You have to think in terms of mass production. The difference in cost between a CTS pot and a no-name pot might be $0.50 (I'm sure its not) and on a per guitar basis, that might not seem like much - but think about it on a production scale. Over the building of 10,000 guitars, that adds up to $5,000 (vol, tone setup - more for vol, vol, tone, etc..). That's $5,000 that goes to paying the salaries of your employees or keeping your machines running. So don't think of it as cost cutting - its about manufacturing scale.

A guy who builds one guitar a month has no escuse for not using the best parts that are available because he's not working at the same scale.
    Sure, pennies add up, and I can understand the savings in this context, and I find this acceptable for the more inexpensive models - the cheaper components should be expected by the consumer - but not on the higher end models. You wouldn't expect a pleather interior in a Benz, right? - If Jackson is going to retail the Soloist line at the MSRP they are listing, then the components should reflect that. My suspicion is that this is a way of "dummbing down" the import lines to support a higher cost for the USA series and a distinction in the overall quality that is tangible. BUT-

It's possible that my pots escaped qulaity control measures, and as a rule, Jackson is using better pots in the soloists...I just discovered there is a possibility this axe was dropped also, due to a ding near the input jack that is actually more of a dent...hmmm...regardless, I have been in love with Jackson / Charvel since I learned to play years ago, and mass production procedures aren't likely to alleviate my addiction to pointy headstocks.

Comment

Originally posted by cedelong View Post
      Thank you. Yep, that's whats on her.
      If your SL3 has a "PING" Floyd, it was done aftermarket.
      Jackson never used them.
      Got any pics of it?
      -Rick

Comment

You didn't say what kind of metal, but I'm currently having a love affair with the duncan custom. Output is just mildly hotter than PAF but its a very well balanced pickup.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

No, actually that covers the "are they Friedman enough for you" issue. And, jeez..he really butchered that solo. I've seen him live and never that sloppy.

Since you'd LOVE to know about the pots, it has little to do with ears and all to do with feel. The volume pot has a very scratchy noise, indeed, but the thing feels like it is about to fall off. Not the knob, btw as I've removed it and it is def. the pot. It does not move cleanly, does not stay at set position well and "bounces" back when turned to max as if the mechanism is busted. The tone feels like its scraping inside when turned, and again, this is with the knob off, and drifts from desired position also due to complete lack of drag.

Compared to the smooth, clean action I expected from equipment on a guitar of this quality, THE POTS ARE SHITE. I have CTS pots in my DKMG and in the Chvl Mod 5, and they feel much sturdier and don't tend to slip or drift after set to certain spot like cheap ones do.

Thanks for the suggestion about the mid. pickup - This is the only guitar with single coils (er, mini hbs, that is to say) that I own and have never used a middle pu before. will look into it.
          Quite obviously your pots are fucked. It's not a question of Jackson being cheap, it's a question of the pots being fucked.
          Trust me mate, the SL3 is an awesome guitar for what you paid, really awesome.
          If you don't like the pickups, find some you DO like.

Going down the Duncan route, try a Distortion bridge, SSL-1 middle and maybe a Li'l 59 neck if you don't like the Hot Rails much.
          Last edited by MartinBarre; 05-01-2009, 06:16 PM.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I still love Jackson, but the Fender aq. still bugs me. The old Jacksons were works of art, and the new ones at times feel like you're paying for a name mostly. I still think Mustaine should have taken it over when it was up for grabs.
            The new ones are 've never played a bad new Jackson. My DK2 is great.
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Look real good at the pots my SL4 has CTS pots in it already.
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                I have only liked the JB in one guitar and I think it wasn't wired in the regular way. anyway just remember up to a few years ago Dave mustaine used the JB.
                What do you mean up to a few years ago? He still uses the JB/Jazz combo... his signature Livewire set is just an active version of them.

I've never really been a huge fan of the JB either, but it does sound rather good in mahogany bodies.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                  Quite obviously your pots are fucked. It's not a question of Jackson being cheap, it's a question of the pots being fucked.
                  Yep. When I bought my '05 USA Charvel Star, the CTS pot crapped out after like a week. I was sent a replacement for it under warranty by Matt. All pots will eventually wear out, it's just a question of when.

Comment

BTW Since the pots are done, it's very likely the pickups aren't functioning as they should. Changing the pots for new ones might just kick those pups into life.

Comment

What do you mean up to a few years ago? He still uses the JB/Jazz combo... his signature Livewire set is just an active version of them.

I've never really been a huge fan of the JB either, but it does sound rather good in mahogany bodies
                      That's like saying the emg hz4 and the 81 are the same.

The only time I liked the JB alot was in the washburn mercury that had a mahagony body.

Comment

Well, I'd tend to believe Mr. Duncan and his crew. http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...must_livewire/

"The active preamp allows higher gain and more output without sacrificing tonal response and dynamic feel. The resonant frequency of the bridge and neck pickup is matched with that of the SH-4 JB and SH-2n Jazz Model (neck) respectively."

Not to mention I've also got the Mustaine Dean sig model and that's what they sound like to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                          If your SL3 has a "PING" Floyd, it was done aftermarket.
                          Jackson never used them.
                          Got any pics of it?
                          Damn! you're right. It doesn't have the logo on it like in the pic, but the printing/engraving on the block is what I recognized. Where are these trems coming from with a US patent on them? Thought the originals were indeed made in Germany...maybe with a US patent anyway, right)

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                            BTW Since the pots are done, it's very likely the pickups aren't functioning as they should. Changing the pots for new ones might just kick those pups into life.

Dude, you just nailed it- where I mentioned that the pot "bounces" from the max position on the vol - I taped it in place just to see, and the JB sounds MUCH better with the max vol. I haven't pulled the pots yet obviously, but more and more I think this baby was dropped at one point and jammed the pots...just no tell tale signs on the front, but a dent near the input jack that was well hidden.

I found this one much easier for me to play with the middle hotrail lowered waaaay down, cause that is where I pick...may just leave it there...I am interested to see what JB sounds like with pots replaced...will do that first...I may like this one better than I thought...we shall see

Comment

Damn! you're right. It doesn't have the logo on it like in the pic, but the printing/engraving on the block is what I recognized. Where are these trems coming from with a US patent on them? Thought the originals were indeed made in Germany...maybe with a US patent anyway, right)
                              The "Floyd Rose Original" is made in Germany and the "Floyd Rose" (FRT-02000) is made in Korea.
                              Both are made by Floyd Rose, just in different locations.
                              Both will have the U.S. patent info on the blocks even though neither were made in the U.S.
                              -Rick

Comment

Dude, you just nailed it- where I mentioned that the pot "bounces" from the max position on the vol - I taped it in place just to see, and the JB sounds MUCH better with the max vol. I haven't pulled the pots yet obviously, but more and more I think this baby was dropped at one point and jammed the pots...just no tell tale signs on the front, but a dent near the input jack that was well hidden.

I found this one much easier for me to play with the middle hotrail lowered waaaay down, cause that is where I pick...may just leave it there...I am interested to see what JB sounds like with pots replaced...will do that first...I may like this one better than I thought...we shall see
                                I had a similar issue recently. I put a JB in a Kelly, but the pot was faulty and it was as if the volume wouldn't go over about 6 or 7. Now I'd never have known this, cause it otherwise seemed to function correctly - I only knew something was wrong cause I had a JB in my SL3 that I could directly compare to the Kelly.
                                Changing the pot again made a world of difference.

I'd still recommend changing that middle Hot Rail though, I just couldn't see the point in having the same pickup in neck and middle, they sounded too similar and meant the middle never got used. A true single coil like the SSL-1 gives fantastic clean sounds and also a nice different tone in positions 2 and 4.

Comment

Working...
                                X