Polishing a turd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing a turd?

I've been toying around with ideas of how I could pull off a certain guitar, and I came to a possible conclusion earlier today, I'm just not sure if it'll end up being sparkling fecal matter....

I'm looking for a 24 fret maple board non recessed floyd, whatever body style.

So what I'm thinking is get a JS30RR so I can have the 24 fret rhoads. Then get a DK2M neck for it, change all the electronics to something good, have the TOM converted to a non recessed floyed, and refin.

Bascially, the guitar is built around a JS body with a fair investment in time/money with the floyd conversion/refin. How good of quality are the bodies themselves? Good enough for this to be a high quality axe when all is said and done?

Have warmoth build a body for you. the js series are OK guitar but not something I would sink a penny into.

Comment

Agree with Rich.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Warmoth probably won't do the body correctly. Their idea of 24 frets is 3 frets overlapping the body.

The Cedro bodies of the JS series are unstable once you start drilling. It's a crumbly wood like Cedar, or rotted oak.

Bite the bullet and get a Pro or MG series bolt on with a tunamatic/stringthrough, and have that Floyded. However, I'd investigate the DK2M neck and the intended body further - if I'm not mistaken, Jackson works both the neck heel and the pocket equally for recessed Floydation, so you may end up with either too much angle or having to shim the neck to get the action right by mixing a recessed Floyded neck and a non-trem body.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

How big of a deal is it to convert a TOM to a non recessed floyd? I wouldn't mind picking up another RR5 and floyd that.

Thanks for the info so far. Too bad I just sold my Charvel so I can't test the body and neck work for a recessed floyd...

Comment

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
            How big of a deal is it to convert a TOM to a non recessed floyd? I wouldn't mind picking up another RR5 and floyd that.

Thanks for the info so far. Too bad I just sold my Charvel so I can't test the body and neck work for a recessed floyd...
            Its not a huge job but very detail oriented. Not something I'd recommend for the DIY novice.. With the right tools, templates and skills its not that bad. I'd consider a Kahler Pro for ease of installation and alot less wood removal. They are a bit more pricey but will be worth it in the long run.

Comment

Working...
            X