Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which locking nut for OFR/JT580LP swap (DK2M)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which locking nut for OFR/JT580LP swap (DK2M)?

I have the opportunity to buy an OFR with a R3 nut. I've searched through the forums and people say it's a direct swap. But in "guitaristeve's" thread about his modded RR3, he talks about how he had to sand down the nut area on the neck as the R3 locking nut was too high. Will the R3 fit my DK2M? If the R3 doesn't fit, could I just buy an R2/R4 nut from somewhere else?

Thanks!
    Guitars:
    Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
    Ibanez S520EX
    Jackson DK2M

The original nut on the DK2M will work just fine no reason to change it.Its an R4 anyway.R4 is for the necks with binding.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The R3 and R4 nut are both the same physical size (1 11/16").
      The only difference is that one has a wider string spacing than the other.

The issue is the OFR nut is taller than the nut that came with the JT-580LP.

As straycat said, use the stock nut. There is no need to swap it unless the color is different.
      -Rick

Comment

It's a gold OFR lol. I guess I'll just use the gold OFR with the black locking nut. It's only temporary anyway.
        Guitars:
        Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
        Ibanez S520EX
        Jackson DK2M

Comment

If you can get the nut grinded down if it's too short you can buy shims it's much easier to bleep the neck up sanding the wood...

But use the stock one for now you may be able to use the gold OFR pads too...

good luck and give us some pics when it's finished...

Comment

The OFR block will fit in the DK2's nut.
            It's pronounced soops

Comment

Thas what I would do just use the gold OFR pads on the DK2M's original nut.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
              X