X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson SLSMG truss rod issue

Hi

I just got a used SLSMG.

All good except for one thing: I had no relief on the neck (it was at least strait, if not slightly bent back), even after changing the strings from 8s to 10s, still the same thing (neck stayed straight).

I tried removing the truss rod "cap" or whatever that thing on top is (only used stratocasters until now, so any other type of truss rodd is strange for me) - so the truss rod was comlpetly free (presumably didn't provide a force to counter the string pull at all), but still the neck stayed straight and I didn't have the much needed (neck) relief

Is it something wrong with it or can it be fixed?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by "removing the cap". Do you mean the truss rod cover underneath the strings on the headstock? That's just an access cover and removing it makes no difference in the neck relief. You'll need to get a truss rod wrench and loosen the truss rod (turn it counter-clockwise when looking towards the guitar body) to give the neck more relief.
    Scott

Comment

I meant the truss rod nut (I guess that's how it's called). I'm not talking about the plastic cover.

So the truss rod is completly free (put's no pressure on the neck). I'm not getting any (or verry little) bow under string pressure.

Comment

You removed the truss rod nut???
        Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Yes. Truss rod was free, 10-48 strings tuned to pitch and neck stayed straight.

The nut is back on now.

Could it be caused by me only holding my guitars on wall stands (which kinda pull down on the neck - straightening it under the weight of the guitar)?

Comment

Familiar problem. There is not much you can do about it - use heavier strings, if you want to make a relief in it. Other way is to take it to luthier for heat-processing(expensive + no guarantee the relief effect will last) or artificially doing the relief effect on the fretboard(filing or such). It gets tricky and expensive on that department.

Stuff like that really makes you appreciate the 2-way trussrod's out there.

Comment

I don't know if this helps but i have had the same problem with an acoustic guitar with no truss rod. I loaded the neck and left it for a couple of months and let nature (gravity) take it's course. It hasn't back bent since (4 years ago).

Comment

My slsmg is doing the same. No relief. It is straight except for my 15 fret is a little high. I might string up some 11's at standard tuning for a while and see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
                  You removed the truss rod nut???
                  Truss rod nuts can be removed. They're just there to give you something to adjust the actual rod with.

Putting them back on can be tricky, as it's easy to cross-thread the bolt or the brass nut.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                  X