NOS User... Need help identifying Rhoads Just Purchased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS User... Need help identifying Rhoads Just Purchased

I got an RX10D off of eBay. The hardware on it is generic, and I'm trying to identify it. I'm thinking that either
    1. The original owner wanted to replace the chrome hardware with black hardware.
    OR
    2. The original owner wanted to keep / use the original hardware and put on cheaper hardware.
    OR
    3. Or the store that bought the guitar stripped the guitar of the hardware for resale and put on cheaper hardware.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a legit RX10D.

First things first, here is zee guitar:

Here are the tuners:

Here is the neck plate, heel, and pocket:

Here are the pickups / cavities:
    Neck:
    Bridge:

Licensed Floyd Rose:

Control Cavity:

My thoughts on the guitar:
    The guitar has been refinished from a metallic red. This is apparent in all the cavities and internal routing of the guitar.
    http://img7.imageshack.us/content.ph...2/paintznl.jpg
    Why this was done, I don't know. It could've been for preference (I know someone who desecrated an Eerie Dess Swirl with flat black. Sanded it first... so horrible.) It could also have been to hide damaged (there is a slight crack near one of the Floyd posts, and of course the wing tips).

The tuners appear to be these. I say this because they say "Jin Ho / Made in Korea / 2" on them (see pictures.)

The Floyd Rose appears to be a single-locking (aka speedloader) LFR in the style of the Jackson JT-500 (if I remember right.) However it's unbranded. On the block it says "Licensed Under Floyd Rose Pat" and on the bottom plate it appears to say "BH" or "BA" or something of that nature. The upper-half of the letters is covered by the block.
    EDIT: I searched Ultimate-Guitar and this link is in one of their threads: http://audiozone.dk/tremolo/jt500-noname.jpg
    I'm pretty damn sure that's the same exact LFR as mine (except it's chrome.)

The control cavitity has a slight hole where someone started to drill. Perhaps for an additional pot, but they then realized they'd have to route out wood or use a long shaft. Otherwise, I think the electronics are stock.

The neck plate number reads "98080746."

The screws and hardware have very slight rust. Perhaps the guitar is older, or has been stored in poor conditions. The screws on the neckplate are mismatched.

The pickups aren't a matched set, but the same kind. Whatever asshole put them in didn't think to vary them :P. It's alright though, they sound decent. I'm happy with them for now.

The pickup selector is worn. There are also several hair-sized dents on the neck from someone leaning it against something (such as a desk). There is also quite a bit of fret-wear. This guitar was well-loved and used often.

Any information on the guitar (such as whether or not it's "real") or it's parts is greatly appreciated!

Despite the hardware and condition, this guitar plays and sounds great. I'm super stoked to have it.

I also bought a JS30RR body. I'm going to put a GFS bridge on it, an EDEN 24 fret maple Jackson-style neck (with tuners and nut included), and I bought waterslide decal paper so I can shamelessly put Jackson's logo on what is essentially otherwise not a real Jackson.

Last edited by dz_alias; 06-10-2009, 12:18 AM.

I could be mistaken, but this looks like an X-series guitar from about 2001, made in India. I had a Kelly like this, it had the same exact hardware. The guitar had 22 frets, which was odd, and the quality as terrible. I bought it because Musician's Friend was clearing them out for $179 back in 2002. I never even played it, and just sold it. I learned later on that when Jackson moved operations to India for the low-end models, in the beginning they subcontracted the work to build these guitars to a company that was already building Jackson replica guitars. Soon after, Jackson stopped using them because the quality of the instruments was so bad. I used to know the name of the company too - I'll have to look it up again.
    Last edited by Scream And Fly; 06-10-2009, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scream And Fly View Post
      I could be mistaken, but this looks like an X-series guitar from about 2001, made in India. I had a Kelly like this, it had the same exact hardware. The guitar had 22 frets, which was odd, and the quality as terrible. I bought it because Musician's Friend was clearing them out for $179 back in 2002. I never even played it, and just sold it. I learned later on that when Jackson moved operations to India for the low-end models, in the beginning they subcontracted the work to build these guitars to a company that was already building Jackson replica guitars. Soon after, Jackson stopped using them because the quality of the instruments was so bad. I used to know the name of the company too - I'll have to look it up again.
      Thanks so much!

It's actually not a bad little guitar. Needs some work, but that's for the better. I love tweaking this and that.

The Floyd Rose stays in tune perfectly. When I disassembled the body, I removed the tremsprings and just took out the whole Floyd with the strings attached. After I took the photos and put it back in, it was still perfectly in tune. Either this hasn't gotten a lot of use, or it's decent. Of course if it does crap out, I'll have to buy another trem.

I bought the trem arm from Guitar Fetish (since one was not included), and it's a perfect fit! I was being ghetto and putting a spare arm inside the hole to use the Floyd. I also got two output jacks (strat style.) I'm going to relocate the jacks to the upper wing like the more expensive models. I also plan on refinishing the guitar and crowning / leveling the frets.

Eventually I may rewire the electronics. I'm an incredibly rediculous person when it comes to controls on my guitars. I wired my Strat guitar HSS, except the humbucker slot has a regular single coil and a humbucker-sized single coil. I also have rails in the neck and mid position. Each rail is wired for coil-tapping, there is a volume, treble cut, and bass cut, and there's a second switch for switching the bridge pickups. It's crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scream And Fly View Post
        Who builds them now? Jackson or another Indian company?

Comment

Then what's with the "NOS" in the title? NOS means New Old Stock, meaning never been sold, meaning we had it since it came off the truck from the factory.

If things have been changed, it's definitely not NOS.

People aren't NOS either, so you can't say you're a "New Old Stock" Jackson owner

As for the hardware, the RX10D didn't come with a real Floyd and Grover tuners and Duncans. What you have there is most likely the original hardware.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            Then what's with the "NOS" in the title? NOS means New Old Stock, meaning never been sold, meaning we had it since it came off the truck from the factory.

If things have been changed, it's definitely not NOS.

People aren't NOS either, so you can't say you're a "New Old Stock" Jackson owner

As for the hardware, the RX10D didn't come with a real Floyd and Grover tuners and Duncans. What you have there is most likely the original hardware.
            I'm NOS! I signed up forever ago but haven't posted until recently :P.

It's not original RX10D hardware though... not standard anyway. As far as I know it's only ever been offered in chrome, and the tuners / tremolo would have the Jackson logo. Neither do. :3

I think it's an Indian one, like the first response suggested. Apparently the quality of these are hit and miss, but I love mine.

What really gets me is that the pickups aren't a matched pair, but the same two. I can't imagine even a generic replica company installing them like that on a guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by dz_alias View Post
              What really gets me is that the pickups aren't a matched pair, but the same two. I can't imagine even a generic replica company installing them like that on a guitar.
              Actually, a lot of companies have used the same pickup in both positions. It's not rare at all.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                Actually, a lot of companies have used the same pickup in both positions. It's not rare at all.
                I'll take your word for it, I've just never witnessed such a thing before.

Did you ever find out the name of that company, Scream and Fly?
                How'd you come to learn so much about the Indian Jackson guitars?

Comment

Originally posted by dz_alias View Post
                  I'll take your word for it, I've just never witnessed such a thing before.

Did you ever find out the name of that company, Scream and Fly?
                  How'd you come to learn so much about the Indian Jackson guitars?
                  Actually the kirk hammet pre-wired pickguard is an emg 81 and an 81. Also ive seen a few esp's the same way.
                  Last edited by Jacksonguy666; 06-16-2009, 10:45 PM.
                  I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
                    Actually the kirk hammet pre-wired pickguard is an emg 81 and an 81. Also ive seen a few eps the same way.
                    I guess most single coil guitars have a uniform set too... excluding those with the hot-wound bridge. I dunno what I was thinking.

Comment

Bumpity bump bump bump.

Comment

My RR5 came with a JB/JB. I like it much more than the JB/Jazz I have in others.

Comment

I got my EDEN neck and tuners and nut. And I also got my truss rod cover.

There's my JS30RR. I've yet to shamelessly put the Jackson logo on the headstock. I'm also going to relocate the strap + jack and rewire the electronics.

Comment

That bridge is the same exact single locking LFR (copy of the original real Floyd Rose II) as on my 80's warlock. It's definitely not for a speedloader as they take the bullet strings. And it's not the same as the chrome one you referenced, one you referenced has blocks to hold strings... double locking. I've used the single LFR for a long time on that guitar and honestly, I love it. Stays in perfect tune even after a LONG time sitting and is really stable even after holding guitar by the bar and shaking.. (not recommending you do that...). Also very comfortable palm muting and such..
                            Last edited by warlok; 06-28-2009, 01:16 AM.
                            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

The lower end India models tuners don't say Jackson on them.That trem is better than what you would get on the low end models.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X