I've got wood...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got wood...

... chambered mahogany with a maple cap, to be more specific. It's NGD, and this is my new Dominion in Primer finish. I had one of the first Dominions in Wine Drunk, and loved it, but sold it so I could get my "grail" guitar - a Mustaine KV Pro in mint condition. The KV Pro was everything I remembered from almost 15 years ago, but what did it for me back then doesn't do it for me anymore. Very disappointing. So, I sold the KV Pro and went back to what I knew worked for me. Here's a quick picture:

It's hard to see in the picture, but the pickup toggle switch got sheared off during shipping. Not the carrier's fault, this time. It just wasn't packed all that well. Fortunately, there's no damage aside from that. Besides, I'll be modifying this one over time. New pickups will be first.

What kinda model is this? Is it custom? Or a new MM Dominion?
    I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

This is a standard model from the original line of Dominions, as opposed to the new ones with natural binding around the body and oiled necks. The Primer finish is the same as the other colors, but has matte hardware and no inlay.
      The budget model bolt-on D2 is available in Primer, but I don't think the new Pro Series Dominions are.

Comment

Great guitar, i love my dominion , ihope to get one of the new ones when they start shipping. Primer colour is discontinued now.

Comment

The new ones look really good, but I'm uncertain about the oiled neck. I'd have to play one.

Comment

Sweet! Do those Primer models actually have a maple cap under the paint? I figured it was just mahogany.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

there's a primer on Oz Ebay right now. Very cool guitar, the Dominion
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks for the comments
                I had heard the Primer did in fact have a maple cap, but curiosity lead me to remove the larger cavity plate on the back and check. Sure enough, one section has thin enough paint that you can see through to the wood: nice reddish mahogany and almost-white maple. I do wonder if it's figured, though.

Comment

It looks like I was mistaken about the maple cap. While the plate for the pickup toggle was off, I noticed the cap looked distinctly red and matched the body wood. So, I took the plate back off the control cavity and looked around. The one spot I saw before must've been the lighter primer under the "Primer" paint, because another section had no paint at all and looked just like the body. So, I guess the Primer version is all mahogany, after all.
                  The maple versus mahogany cap wouldn't really make a tonal difference, though... would it?

Comment

It would make it brighter.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

As thin as the cap is, I wouldn't expect there to be an appreciable difference. Then again, I've been wrong before...
                      Thanks for the input.

Comment

It's been a while for this thread, but I was doing some tinkering with the Dominion again and found that it does indeed have a maple cap just like all the other finishes. Just in case anyone was hanging on that little mystery...

Comment

that's a sick guitar man
                          Ratt & Roll

Comment

I love the Morton. Out-of-place a bit in the Jackson lineup, but awesome nevertheless.
                            Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Yeah, it's like a stealth Jackson: doesn't exactly look the part, put certainly plays it. I guess the flat black Primer finish makes even more sense, in that case.

Comment

Working...
                              X