Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting curious about imports.

Hi fellow JCF'ers!

I have been playing Jackson guitars for the past 5-6 years, USA's exclusively. But now i have become curious to what the import line has to offer, and thinking of maybe getting a cheaper Jackson to play around with.

So basically, which imports are worth getting and which are bad?

Also, what is the difference between the current import series, MG, Pro, JS, X etc.?

I hope this post is not too noobish
    Guitars:
    Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
    Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
    Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
    BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
    ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Here's a brief summary of each:

JS - Lowest of the line. These are basically beginner level guitars. They range from JS1-JS35. There are different shapes such as kellys, warriors and dinkys but hardware wise they're pretty similar. Can't remember where they are made. India perhaps?

X - Not 100% sure where its made. Guessing India again. These guitars are below the MG series. They tend to have duncan designed pickups rather than Seymour Duncans and normally have a JT580LP trem. They have chrome hardware.

MG/'Pro' - Made in Japan. These seem the best bang for buck. Most of these guitars are bolt ons apart from the SLS and the SL series. They have EMGs/SDs. The SL3 has a korean made OFR iirc but the other guitars have JT580LPs.

Hope this helps.
    Guitars:
    Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
    Ibanez S520EX
    Jackson DK2M

Comment

Originally posted by Blazphemer View Post
      Hi fellow JCF'ers!

I have been playing Jackson guitars for the past 5-6 years, USA's exclusively. But now i have become curious to what the import line has to offer, and thinking of maybe getting a cheaper Jackson to play around with.

So basically, which imports are worth getting and which are bad?

Also, what is the difference between the current import series, MG, Pro, JS, X etc.?

I hope this post is not too noobish
      I can answer part of your question. I'll sort it by RANK of quality.

JS SERIES: Student line. JS30DK has CVR pickups made by Jackson. They are actually crunchy and better than a lot of Ibanez stock pickups. The lowest model Jackson doesn't have it.
      Indian Cedro Body: Its like some sort of Cedar. Just thank god its not Agathis or plywood. It doesn't seem too bad actually. Guitars are decent for the price actually. Expect the bridge to tarnish faster as the metal parts aren't too great. I saw a JS30DK on the used shelf only less than a year old and its already rusty. -- Made in India

The old beginner line Performer series were better than the JS line due to the body material but had shitty pickups.

X-Series is one step above jS. It usually has basswood body and MOTO inlays (fake , not pearl)
      With some low end pickups like Duncan Designed. I thought the CVR pickups sounded better than Duncan Designed actually.
      KX10 etc.

MG
      Stands for EMG. A dinky loaded with EMG-hZ or EMG 81 pickups. Body is basswood. I think some are alder. This is also a decent grade guitar. Think of it as "middle grade"
      DKMG, (Alder with Archtop) DXMG (basswood flat top) Made in Japan.

Pro/Professional
      This is where it gets pretty complicated. The best guitars are found here or some of the "iffy" ones. All of these lines are made in Japan.
      Some of the bad ones have Duncan Designed Pickup shit but the good ones that you should find at the same price have true Seymour Duncans and the hardware color scheme usually matches better. Chrome/Gold with Transparent , black hardware w/black guitar..Not chrome hardware on black guitar.

USA Select
      Like the Pro but made in the USA. Double the price, not always double the quality. In some cases the Pro beats out a USA model.
      Last edited by Danzo; 07-16-2009, 02:30 AM.
      Equipment
      -Jackson Kelly Std. Professional J003908 (blood red) w/TB-5
      -Marshall MG15 CDR hosted by
      -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

Comment

MG and Pro are roughly on the same level. The SLSMG is Mahogany, also.
        Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

JS - made in India, entry level
          X - made in Japan, assembly line, duncan designed pups
          MG/Pro - made in Japan, non assembly line, brand name pups
          Select - made in USA, non assembly line, brand name pups
          Scott

Comment

The SL3 is also neckthru, not bolt on.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

If you want a cheaper import Jackson to play around without comprimising quality to the USA made Jackson try the Professional series. The real good Jackson Professionals are the " Pro Models" made betweeen 1990-95 these are the ones you should hunt down in pawn shops or ebay as they are on par with USA made Jacksons. So much so that at the time the import models were starting to cut into the sales of the USA made Jacksons and to protect the USA Jackson brand the company ceased the "Pro Model" in 95 but still continued the Professional series for another 2 -3 years instead using cheaper components.

Some "Pro Models" are advertised well with the name over the Truss rod cover some others arent , these blank ones were made prior to 93.

Or you may wish to explore the Charvel Professionals which were made prior to the first Jackson professionals.
              I dont get scared but i do get shocked!!

Comment

Charvel Professionals?First time to hear that one.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  He must mean the model series.
                  METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Maybe so.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                      Yeah I did , lost in translation
                      I dont get scared but i do get shocked!!

Comment

Originally posted by loose Cannon View Post
                        Some "Pro Models" are advertised well with the name over the Truss rod cover some others arent , these blank ones were made prior to 93.
                        I believe it was earlier than that. I have a '92 with a engraved truss rod cover. It was more the first year or so.
                        "Dear Dr. Bill,
                        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                          Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                          he may mean the Contemporary series, made between 89-91
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by loose Cannon View Post
                            or not!
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

and there is always jackson stars

Comment

Working...
                              X