Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with possible online Dinky purchase.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with possible online Dinky purchase.

I'm thinking about buying a used Dinky and have a few questions. The salesman told me the guitar was made in Korea. I thought all non-USA Dinkys were made in Japan. Is he right? The serial # is 9628914--anyone know what year this was made? Finally, this guitar has Duncan Designed pups and I was wondering if any of the other components on a guitar like this would be inferior to the Dks that come with the better Duncans?

TIA

I know that there were/are some made in india, indonesia, and korea as well. Any way you get any pics from him and post to see actually what model it is? May make it easier to say what's on it (bridge, etc).
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Yea, I dont really have the resources to give you an answer with just the serial and pickups... they have switched countries a few times, though.

I know im happy with my Japanese made Dinky.

And btw, the serial on mine is a 971---- number, so yours is a little older than mine by about 87000 units, if I know what im talking about at all, heh heh.
      Last edited by eon; 08-27-2009, 04:00 AM.

Comment

The 9 digit serial number makes it made in Japan. depending on the year the trem maybe better or worse then what comes on the new ones. They all are the jt580LP but the oldest ones are the best and the ones now are not as good but are better then the ones inbetween.

Comment

@warlock: The neck has “Korea” stamped into the headstock so at least that part is made in Korea.

@eon: What year was your Dinky made?

@Rich: I didn’t know this about the 580lp—good info.

A body made in Japan with a Korean neck –does this make it a parts mutt?

Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Sounds like a parts mutt.
            The 9xxxxxx serials are used on MIJ guitars.
            -Rick

Comment

962 would be late 90s MIJ

You just ran into SIFoS syndrome (Salesman is full of shit!)
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by eon View Post
                I know im happy with my Japanese made Dinky.

And btw, the serial on mine is a 971---- number, so yours is a little older than mine by about 87000 units, if I know what im talking about at all, heh heh.
                Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]
                @eon: What year was your Dinky made?

971xxxxx would be 2004-05 era.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                X