Jackson Stars J1 Ash Body Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Stars J1 Ash Body Question

I was eyeballing some Jackson Stars guitars today and I noticed that the KE's, KV's, and RR's in the J1 range had ash bodies. I was wondering if they were a light swamp ash or a heavy hard ash. I've seen that some of you guys have some nice Jackson Stars semi-customs and various jaw-dropping stock models, I was hoping I could get some of your opinions on this.
    "I got a fever, and the only prescription is more Jacksons"

It's heavy ash. My ash RR feels much heavier than my alder and poplar ones.

I think that Straycat here (not shure about his pseudo) has both mahogany and ash Jackson Stars RRs, it would be interesting to know how heavy ash is compared to mahogany.

Anyway, if you can bear a bit more weight on your shoulders, you can't go wrong with a Jackson Stars J1
    2007 Jackson Stars RR Custom
    2005 Jackson Stars RR Semi-custom
    1991 Grover Jackson RR Dan Spitz Professional
    1991 Grover Jackson RR Custom (sold)

Comment

Thanks Wild Claw.

Another concern of mine is that I work at a music store and with my discount I could get a USA KV-2 or KE-2 for about the same price as a J1. I noticed you have some nice older Jacksons and some new Jackson Stars. How would you compare them?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamFisher5150 View Post
        Thanks Wild Claw.

Another concern of mine is that I work at a music store and with my discount I could get a USA KV-2 or KE-2 for about the same price as a J1. I noticed you have some nice older Jacksons and some new Jackson Stars. How would you compare them?
        The only noticable difference is that the older ones have a non-recessed trem, while the new ones have a recessed one. Besides that I find them very similar. The neck profile is the same on all of them, the fretjob and overall finish are equally good aswell.

By the way, note that these two Grovers were made in Japan, not in the US. The Spitz is a Professional serie - like the well-know RR pro based on the RR1 - and the Custom is from another serie but the quality was similar.

So all I can tell you is that they really are awesome guitars, but I can't compare them to the USA ones cause I've never owned any ... Suppose the J1s and select serie would be equal in quality, then you have to see what wood you'd prefer. This may help you : http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/es...t_print_42.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Claw View Post
          By the way, note that these two Grovers were made in Japan, not in the US. The Spitz is a Professional serie - like the well-know RR pro based on the RR1 - and the Custom is from another serie but the quality was similar.
          My mistake, I should have known as I tried to read up on the Japanese-made stuff as much as I could before I bought my '90 RR Pro. I love that guitar. I was aware of other Pro series sig models but I didn't know they made a Spitz. Is it the XTRR shape or a normal RR?

Originally posted by Wild Claw View Post
          The only noticable difference is that the older ones have a non-recessed trem, while the new ones have a recessed one.
          Hmm, I prefer non-recessed trems. What years did they make them that way? A King V like that would be dangerously close to perfect.
          Last edited by AdamFisher5150; 08-30-2009, 09:57 PM.

Comment

My ash SL-J1 is heavier than my poplar soloist and also heavier than my alder DK2M...

Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Originally posted by AdamFisher5150 View Post
              Is it the XTRR shape or a normal RR?
              Normal shape.

Hmm, I prefer non-recessed trems. What years did they make them that way? A King V like that would be dangerously close to perfect.
              I saw it only on the early 90's models. Then some models with recessed trem were released in 1995.
              The KV from the Custom Serie has a non-recessed trem.

Comment

I guess that would be me Wild Claw was referring too... I own a mahogany RRJ1B semicustom and bought the stock version a year later. Indeed, with the ash body the stock version is noticeably heavier. Definitely hard ash.
                http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I have a 2006 RR-J1 ash body, EMGs, I really don't notice that it's super heavy but I'm a big guy, so...

Also, to decide between this type of model vs a USA Select, you need to decide if you want ash over alder.

Discussion of build quality is moot, as the high end Stars are pretty much equal to USA.

Also, the Stars are of course more rare here in the States, I rather like that aspect. Also the 24 fret Rhoads thing, sometimes that gets noticed when I do a gig and the guys who notice it get really excited.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                  X