Concert V - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concert V - Help

Hello All - I am new to this forum, but not to Jackson / Charvel basses.

I recently purchased another Jackson bass - A Concert V. It was a little beat up but the price seemed right. I am sure you get this a lot, but I was hoping to confirm the Mfg. year. I have tried to do some research myself but it has been inconclusive...

I believe this is a mid 90s MIJ bass. SN is just "311402" No J or U in it.
    It has that large Kahler adjustable bridge, which I would also appreciate some feedback on the setup as well.

I have uploaded some pics here if that will help.
    http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/Concert%20V/

Any input would be appreciated -Thanks
    Mike Streicher
    \m/ ((( {~_~} ))) \m/
    `):
    Taking things to an all new low!

Originally posted by Streicherbass View Post
    Hello All - I am new to this forum, but not to Jackson / Charvel basses.

I recently purchased another Jackson bass - A Concert V. It was a little beat up but the price seemed right. I am sure you get this a lot, but I was hoping to confirm the Mfg. year. I have tried to do some research myself but it has been inconclusive...

I believe this is a mid 90s MIJ bass. SN is just "311402" No J or U in it.
    It has that large Kahler adjustable bridge, which I would also appreciate some feedback on the setup as well.

I have uploaded some pics here if that will help.
    http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/Concert%20V/

Any input would be appreciated -Thanks

The Link to the pics has been fixed. I didn't realize it was set for private..
    Thanks...
    Mike Streicher
    \m/ ((( {~_~} ))) \m/
    `):

Comment

Nice bass!

Here's mine:

As for yours, it is a 1993 (first number of a Professional series bolt-on lower than 9 is the year).

And the Kahler bridge allows not only string height adjustment, but also string spacing - you can spread the strings out as wide as you like or as close together as you like.

To adjust the height, loosen the strings and rotate the round bit in the saddle (where the string sits).

To adjust the spacing, loosen the retaining bolts on each saddle assembly and move them, then tighten the screws.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Mmh I dig those Kahler bridges. Great score!
        From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

Thanks for the year confirmation & bridge info Newc....
          Nice Bass too - looks like you have the same configuration as mine.
          I still have to go over my bass and clean it up a little. I will definitely need to reset the string spacing. The last user has them slammed all together. By looking closely at the bridge I surmised that I would need to move those set screws - strange that you need to fully loosen or remove the string to do so...

There is also an active preamp in my bass. Are there any major points about that I should know?

Thanks again,
          Mike Streicher
          \m/ ((( {~_~} ))) \m/
          `):

Comment

Make sure to change the battery before a gig or keep a spare one. There is no "off" switch for the active electronics, so all you get is silence if the battery goes--and I found out the hard way that it can go without warning. On my old Concert V, I found that the active stuff worked pretty well. I usually went for a more trebly sound and was able to get it with little in the way of background hum, unlike my current Ibanez fretless with the active setup.

On mine, I had to shim the neck to a fairly steep angle to get the action low, since the Kahler saddles wouldn't go low enough for my liking.

Kinda wish I still had mine.

Comment

I'm actually planning to replace the board and pickups with something else (eventually). It's nice and all, but meh. I can get more done with a programmable graphic EQ than just 20dB of Cut and Boost on the highs and lows.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My current #1 bass is a Modulus J-Bass with a totally passive Bartolini set-up. Since I'm only doing studio stuff, actives are nothing more than a pain in the ass, since I have all the EQ-shaping possibilities I could ever need in my preamp (Axe-FX direct into the board).

Comment

man, all these BLUE basses again... I have a dozen C/J basses and not ONE of them is BLUE ( YET )
                  http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Yeah the Blue is OK - I was really looking for Black like my other Jackson bass, but the "Midnight Blue" doesn't look bad.. I would still like to find an 80s NT black or custom paint with the NT. I know the other C/J basses I have play real nice, but to have an NT would be like owning a piece of history...\m/
                    Mike Streicher
                    \m/ ((( {~_~} ))) \m/
                    `):

Comment

lol, as far as ANY old 80's early 90's Jackson ALL of them are "history" never to be reborn again
                      all I care about is the lack of interest on them from the majority of people...>> that means instant unpopularity which equals c.h.e.a.p.

try finding a Fender Precision for 150 bucks in ANY year/condition/config ...heheh
                      http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Working...
                      X