No announcement yet.

Bad preamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaking of bad preamp's, this one has scratchy controls and I'll have to use some parts from the leftover parts bass

look familiar?

http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

GLAD YOU FINALLY GOT IT! that is a fine crackle finish i must say! it has sat around here for some time. is the action low enough for ya?
      The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
        how is that possible, I have never had any seasonal changes affect any of mine, I put them in the case, and pull them out whenever and they are always in tune still at DGCF..

I have to lol a little because Rob Peabuddy got the 2b, and he could not figure out how I could play it with the strings that low... he said he likes to really pound on the strings...I just "delicately fingerpick" them and crank up the pre-AMP.

God if I had to deal with strings more than a couple mm or so off the board I would go nutz, that's why I don't play the Kramer
        The Kelly would stay in the case all the time because I want to baby it, BUT I play it too often to bother putting it back in the case. So, it stays on a nice stand, right at my bedside. There isn't a whole lot of room in this house and it's packed to the gills with junk in boxes (we used to live in a much larger place) and there aren't many convenient places to store cases that allow for easy access. There isn't any floor space to just lay it next to my amps or something.

On the other hand, even drastically changing string gauges on my 3B (and it's never had a case since I've known it), I've never once had to touch the Charvel's neck...to my recollection. I think that Jackson is just a little finnicky. Floating bridge, neck-through, and it all feels like it's constantly settling. It's not bad, I've just really had to get to know its ins and outs. I'm not complaining because its stability and form make it a totally unique experience to play.

I used to try and pound on the strings hard because nobody told me to do it otherwise. And then I found out how much better it sounded and felt to use a similar technique, but just to tickle the strings. My playing tightened up quite a bit and I instantly had more stamina. I find myself gravitating towards the basses with the lowest action and I'm trying to set up the rest so they feel a little better to me now.
        From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

Working...
        X