Which bass should I look for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which bass should I look for

I would like to buy a charvel jackson bass and I'm wondering if someone has a suggestion as to which ones are the best ones to go for. What model was the best bass they ever made? I've been playing old fenders and guilds for years and I've always wanted a CJ. Thanks.

welcome Dice, man you are asking too much of a "general question"
    which one?...hmm, you like active/passive/EMG/Duncan pickups?
    you like a nice 1-5/8 nut on a flat backed neck?

many years of many good sounding basses.....

I tend to think any of these would work for anybody since I prefer the old Jap models:
    Some heavy, some light, some preammped some not

http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Gorgeous stuff! Thanks for the reply and pic. 3 of your basses jump out at me. The fire crackle one in the middle, the black one with the fender style head stock and the (modern looking black one in the very front. What model is that one). I like passive 21 fret basses. I like J width but P width at the nut is cool too. I have a few cool basses that I use for all kinds of diverse applications. You have a beautiful collection. I'll check out the youtube link.
      DC

Comment

Originally posted by Dice_crisis View Post
        Gorgeous stuff! Thanks for the reply and pic. 3 of your basses jump out at me. The fire crackle one in the middle, the black one with the fender style head stock and the (modern looking black one in the very front. What model is that one). I like passive 21 fret basses. I like J width but P width at the nut is cool too. I have a few cool basses that I use for all kinds of diverse applications. You have a beautiful collection. I'll check out the youtube link.
        DC
        the strathead is a 95 jap CHS4, and the tbird is a 94 jap TBX-pro. The rest are the 86-88 jap Charvel model series 1 thru 4 in their various configs and a couple spares.

We just did a gig on Friday and used my model1 with the EMG in it because the sound tech liked it better than my passive model2 thru his PA. ( far left and far right on the stands )

I guess I could have a 90 something concert, or 2000 something CMG/kelly or a C5a gumbyhead, but noone considers the 80's stuff as most think of them as just outdated import junk. dots instead of fins on the fretboards don't matter to me using the same neck specs ....

Comment

I'm on the west coast but I lived in pittsburgh for years. What band are you in?
          Have you ever played one of those double cutaway PRS looking CJ basses from the early-mid 90's?
          I watched your video channel and it's very cool. Great playing. Thanks for all the cool info.

Comment

3B is a solid choice, but any of the model series basses would be as well.
            From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

Originally posted by Dice_crisis View Post
              I'm on the west coast but I lived in pittsburgh for years. What band are you in?
              Have you ever played one of those double cutaway PRS looking CJ basses from the early-mid 90's?
              I watched your video channel and it's very cool. Great playing. Thanks for all the cool info.
              I grew up in Highland Park, currently I live in Carrick and I'm in a band currently called Code Whiskey. the PRS you describe eludes me unless your thinking of a JJ bass. ( you'd have to show me a pic )

and with the videos, I play all my basses on youtube just to play them, at gigs I usually bring a passive and an active depending on the PA and room. ( on Friday I had my 1b and 2b, and the sound tech said use the 1b ...it has a EMG in it ).....so I did.

Comment

Hey man it truly is an honor meeting you. I have always been a huge fan of the pittsburgh music scene. I moved away in the very early 90's but I lived in Brookline, Swissvale and oakland over near the decade. The bass I'm referring to might be called the L-S-1 (I think) Maybe it's in the 93 online catalog. It's cool. It's more like an old school design than a high tech design. Let me know if you can find it and what you think about it or if you've ever played one.
                I bet we know a lot of the same people. I used to frequent all the shops and clubs when I lived there. I made a lot of friends in Pittsburgh. My family still lives in Johnstown PA.
                I watched your racer x video. I still listen to my Scotland CD. (Scot bender). Your band sounds great. I checked out the vid. I'll become a fan of the band. Pittsburgh has always turned out amazing musicians and it has a rich music history. I'm always proud to tell people out here than I'm originally from that part of the country. Thanks for all the cool music links. DC

Comment

an honor? TYVM, to me this is what I do, and to have ANYONE at a gig, or in a forum say that means I must still have the chops ( at almost 50 years old now )...

ya an LS1 is what your describing...lol forgot about those, and never saw one live ever. and hehe, that racerX video was using my Dillion DFBB (tbird).

takes a while, but 180 something youtube videos using all the Charvies gives you a good indicator of what they sound like "live", meaning only used the camcorder to record with....older vids were just thru the PA only, newer vids are thru the PA and my cabs since I leave another cab at our other jamroom now.

Comment

There is a cool-looking Jackson Kelly bass on ebay right now. I don't recall seeing one of those before. Only problem (for me) is that it is a bolt-on with a rosewood board and dots. I'd prefer neck-through, ebony and sharks.

In any event, I was seriously thinking of getting it myself, but can't, now that I blew my $ on an Eleven Rack.

Comment

if I get a Kelly, any Kelly, I want CHOWDERBOOTS c/s unit
                      and If I can't have that one, the ONLY other one would be a KBX with the EMG's like my TBX.
                      and ya holycrap 380.00 for a KB-1?..well unless someone who bid on it is a weasel to drive up the price, someone will get it for at LEAST 380!!!

fukin crazy, but I LOVE this sentence out of the ad:

"Do you see any more of these on Ebay? Nope."

ya maybe not this week but many have been for sale in 6 months if you look at the completed items
                      --
                      :ROTF:

Comment

damn fine fire crackle you have there! lol ALMOST hate i traded it!
                        The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

between that one and the purple one, I think I'm gonna sell the red one off, as well as the Futura and CHS...not tomorrow, but soon.

this way I'll have my goal - a pair of each of the models, and the TBX.

there's a Kramer F3 like the black one I have on Ebay right now, and at the end of the auction, if none is bidding I may snag it and have a pair of those. The grey Kramer sounds like shit, so I may be inquiring about the extra preamps you have to put it in that one. ( I'm gonna try to toss a jackson pup in it to see if there is any difference first.... )

Comment

Yeah, I thought the price was steep on that Kelly bass, too. Good to hear that they're not too rare. I've never cared too much about basses before, so I've never noticed.

Did Jackson offer MIJ Kelly and Warrior basses in neck-through, ebony-boarded, sharkfin versions? I'm thinking of getting something like that if I can, or else a Hamer Explorer-style (Blitz, I think).

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                              Yeah, I thought the price was steep on that Kelly bass, too. Good to hear that they're not too rare. I've never cared too much about basses before, so I've never noticed.

Did Jackson offer MIJ Kelly and Warrior basses in neck-through, ebony-boarded, sharkfin versions? I'm thinking of getting something like that if I can, or else a Hamer Explorer-style (Blitz, I think).
                              lol. let chowderboots show you a pic of his MIA sharkneck NT ( he also has a blitz )

Comment

Working...
                              X