What are your favorite bass tones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your favorite bass tones?

I don't know a good bass tone from bad. I like Iron Maden (Steve Harris).

What other bands / songs should I listen to for a good metal bass tone?

Thanks.

Justin Chancellor from Tool. Hands down.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Apparently, nobody else listens to bassists.
      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Geddy Lee!

Odd thing is, his "rig" is some effects processor...

I really like some of the old classics like Uriah Heep and similar thumping
        the life out of a Sunn or Ampeg rig.
        Iron Maiden, JP of course.
        Tool comes to mind...processed, but I love it.

Edit-Oh yeah, Faith No More...I like that crisp tone he gets.

Don't ask me who any of these bassists are...bad.
        I have a 4 and a 5 string, and just play them when the mood strikes.
        Junk Dean, and a less-junk Dean.
        Last edited by Cygnus X1; 09-26-2010, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Marcus Miller
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Dan Maines from Clutch,Tim Hanson from Mercyful Fate are a couple of my influeces that havn't been mentioned

Comment

I like the tone that Magic-Mike from CodeWhiskey in Pittsburgh gets from his White Charvel 2b with the j2000 pre in it. :ROTF:
              http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                Justin Chancellor from Tool. Hands down.
                I was about to say that. The tone on "the pot" off the 10,000 days record is great.

Rob Trujilo's tone on the Ozzy stuff is awesome. I also like Lemmy, Cliff Burton, Sharlee De Angelo, Tony Levin and Flea for their tones.
                I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                  I was about to say that. The tone on "the pot" off the 10,000 days record is great.

Rob Trujilo's tone on the Ozzy stuff is awesome. I also like Lemmy, Cliff Burton, Sharlee De Angelo, Tony Levin and Flea for their tones.
                  I am currently a bassist in a band and my tone is exactly like his. It took a little while to dial it in, but sounds the same to me. I know... I'm a rip off poser, but what can you do...?

Comment

I am currently a bassist in a band and my tone is exactly like his. It took a little while to dial it in, but sounds the same to me. I know... I'm a rip off poser, but what can you do...?
                    Cool, any recordings we can listen to?
                    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Anthony Jackson's tone on Al DiMeola's "Live- Tour de Force" was great. Not metal, but a Smith 6 string and it sounded superb.
                      Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                        Cool, any recordings we can listen to?
                        Not yet but when we finally do actually complete some tracks, we will be sure to load them up to our website. I just joined them a few months back and all the tunes on the site are prior to me joining.

Comment

Don't be disappointed when it gets on the tape and doesn't sound like a Tool record. There's bi-amping, crossovers, probably a DI line, definitely a clean amp (probably SS) and a distorted/overdriven amp (could also be a guitar amp), probably low clean/hi dirty mix with crossover or in master mix.
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

What do you tune your bass to?

Comment

I use standard tuning. And I know that it probably won't sound the same on a recording as it does live. I learned that a long time ago and was very disappointed about that. But whatever. As long as I have a good tone, I will be happy. It doesn't have to sound like Justin Chancellor's tone... I just like that and went with it. If I mess around long enough I would probably be able to find even better tones, but right now I am content.

Comment

Working...
                              X