Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help verifying Charvel strathead P-bass (big pic warning!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help verifying Charvel strathead P-bass (big pic warning!!!)

I might be able to purchase this. Pink Strathead Charvel P-bass.

These are the only pics I have so far. The neckplate is blank, no writing on it.

I don't have a year of origin. Seller isn't the original owner.

Legit? Other than removing the neck, and seeing if there's any writing in the pocket, are there any other telltale signs to be aware of?

Negotiating price. These things usually sell for at least $1200 and up correct?

Thanks!!!

FAKE. the Estring on the bridge is not aligned ( used the wrong string spacing style bridge for the size neck ) unless it is just the anlge of the picture, the rail pickup is not something you see, but to see a blank plate on it that looks that way from a factory USA unit is just wrong...

looks like a parts mutt to me ESPECIALLY THE HACKJOB ON THE PICKGUARD for the TR adjustment, and the chips around the base of the neck as well as a blank plate NO WAY IN HELL would Charvel let it go without a serial number and a Factory SanDimas plate.. I have an extensive knowledge of basses around this place, and if anyone wants to tell me it IS real, feel free......
    Last edited by amimbari; 03-04-2011, 10:52 AM.
    http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Did Bizarre Guitars assemble axes from Charvel parts?

Comment

Yes, they did. That logo is legit for a Bizarre Guitars build, but I don't know what else you need to look at to verify it, like what markings (if any) it should have on the heel & in the pocket or whether it should have a serialized plate. It's also possible that some of the Bizarre Guitars logos escaped into the wild, too, so it can be tricky business.

Amim, that gouge for truss rod adjustment is not uncommon at all on old Charvels, so it's not going to help tell if it's legit, parts, or whatever. People did it all the time so they wouldn't have to take the neck off, even on solid figured wood guitars. They weren't thinking about collector value back then.

I just emailed a friend who knows more about these things, so hopefully he can have a look & shed some light.
        Last edited by dg; 03-04-2011, 02:05 PM.

Comment

thanks DG. I never thought of that since every unit I have is the pointy and TR on top, and most pickguards usually has a slot already cut in it for convenience for the adjustments. and yes I would assume if it is just a "build", then they would not have Sandimas plates on them since it was put together at the store. It just looks nasty and not even big enough to get anything in the hole.

also Venom, what are they asking for it?

Comment

Negotiating price. Currently under $1k. Well under

Comment

well "far under a grand" under is good enough for me...and obviously you as well...lol I tend to like the SD headstocks better, but pink...well I have a "pink" unit also ( salmon ) -- so who am I to rip on the color

Comment

My friend says everything looks pretty good in the pics. The Bizarre stuff is Prepro era, so the lack of a serialized plate isn't a problem. Brian Goff at Bizarre Guitars may be able to help with verification, but it's confusing because his place is in WI. I'm waiting for another message to make sure he's the right guy to ask, because there was either a split in the business at some point or he wasn't related to the Reno store. Regardless, at under a grand, I'd have to grab it.

Comment

There's a few Bizarre Guitars. One in Arizona, the other in Reno. Spoke to both of them.

Without seeing it, the Reno one said that it sounds like it fits the bill for something produced at Bizarre. But without disassembly, there's no way to say for sure if it's just a Charvel neck or all Charvel parts. He said the Charvel + TM sounds right on the headstock and that it's a birdseye neck also sound right. He said that pickup and bridge was common too.

Comment

Cool! I think it'll be worth picking up. Hope it works out!

Comment

That's Bizarre guitar here in reno, I have talked to the owner (Greg Golden) about this years ago, It's no secret that grover was not very good with managing money, he offered Greg a bunch of Charvel bodies, and necks at a good price, had the special logos made and he had a couple of guys in the basement assemble them, they would use whatever they had on hand, tuners,pickups,pots.jacks, etc. So they could be very different, Greg told me he did not remember how many they sold, maybe 75-ish, also selling just some bodies, and necks, Greg Golden has in his personal collection a flame maple star, amber, binding,OFR, crazy birdseye neck, ebony board, that is to die for, with a fender neck plate, go figure.So they are all parts mutts I guess, but a cool piece of Charvel history.
                      Last edited by jacksonaxes; 03-05-2011, 01:00 AM.
                      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone. Cool stories.

Since it's pink and my weekend is booked it looks like I'll probably have to pass since it would be days before I could see it in person. I think if it was truly a Charvel I'd be more inclined to get it. I don't need a bass and I have another Moser on order. I alredy have a BCR bass I don't play much

Comment

i'd offer the lady 350 as it does come with a case. ( thanks to one of my spys out there for catching this....) too bad I don't live in CAL.

Comment

Working...
                          X