String Spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Spacing

I just picked up a 5 string bass last night. Today, while looking at it, I am seeing that the G string is fairly close to the edge of the fretboard. And the low B string seems fairly far away.
    Basically, the strings look off center.

But, here I am doing a google, and I see *this picture*, which is the model I have, and it looks to be just as off centered as mine.
    Is this normal? Is it by design?
    Or should did I buy and search two lemons.

How is it at the nut? Is it centered there or offset as well?
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

It's a very common build issue on guitars, especially bolties. I usually don't sweat it unless there is a fret margin issue, then I get really sweaty over it.

Comment

I could see it being a playability issue depending on how off it is. Personally that would bug the hell out of me til I gave in and got it done right.
        In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

That first picture was from gearnuts. I would assume they would have caught the issue and said something, right?

But here are some quick pictures of mine, which as you can see, has a fairly close off-centerness to the one posted. Mine may even be more off.

and a different view:

Comment

So this is a JS3V? I've had a few bolty guitars that I thought were hopeless, and my tech was able to modify the pocket and shift the neck with no visual gaps or anything.

Comment

Yes, 2011 Jackson JS3V in Silverburst.

Comment

Working...
              X