No announcement yet.

80's charvel bass with kahler tremolo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80's charvel bass with kahler tremolo?

i was in my local music store and they know me as the guy who buys jackson/charvels so they point out this bass to me and its an old(i'm guessing) 80's charvel with a kahler tremolo on it? ever hear of one. not a kahler bridge but an actual tremolo!! needless to say i put some money down on it and should have it next week but thought i'd check with everyone here before i pay it off. is it worth 225 w/hsc?

Yeah, Kahler did make a bass tremlo system back then. Is the bass an import or a san dimas model? Depending on the condition, I'd say it's probably worth 225.

Comment

i'm not sure, but heres a pic of the type of trem it has. my guess is its an import. its in near perfect condition.

Comment

buy it! trem is worth the price alone
        The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

trem looks rusty as hell in that pic. i have 2 usa jacksons with trems and i have a kahler i bought off a forum member in the box. i'll buy the bass from you if you don't like it. maybe that's gold with a fuzzy pic! lol my eyes aint what they once were

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr View Post
            Yeah, Kahler did make a bass tremlo system back then. Is the bass an import or a san dimas model? Depending on the condition, I'd say it's probably worth 225.
            hipshot has a bass trem but it's a floater like a floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by peabuddy View Post
              trem looks rusty as hell in that pic. i have 2 usa jacksons with trems and i have a kahler i bought off a forum member in the box. i'll buy the bass from you if you don't like it. maybe that's gold with a fuzzy pic! lol my eyes aint what they once were
              yeah thats just a pic i got from the kahler site. the trem on the bass is black and pretty clean for its age. body is almost new looking. gotta sell some junk on ebay so i can pay it off.....dont think i'm gonna sell it tho.

Comment

I can't imagine what I would even do with a bass tremolo beyond some fancy soloing stuff. Certainly wouldn't be something I would use with the songs I do BUT, just to "HAVE ONE" on a bass, would be a very cool thing, but I think I'll stick to my APM2440 Kahler for now...

http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
                  I can't imagine what I would even do with a bass tremolo beyond some fancy soloing stuff. Certainly wouldn't be something I would use with the songs I do BUT, just to "HAVE ONE" on a bass, would be a very cool thing, but I think I'll stick to my APM2440 Kahler for now...

yea i know what you mean. i used to use mine on a couple of slow songs for accents but i never solo. not my style.

Comment

Originally posted by peabuddy View Post
                    yea i know what you mean. i used to use mine on a couple of slow songs for accents but i never solo. not my style.
                    ya, it's like all the masses of people now-a-days saying "I'll never go back to my 4 stringer since I have my 6 and 7 stringers now" -- the funny thing is most people's music never requires the extra 2-3 strings, but for some, it is a "necessity", for whatever reason they give, and I honor that, and say --"more power to you".... like the couple bands I recently gigged with, both bassplayers had 6 stringers, and they didn't even use the extra strings on their OWN original music, except for some cool solos. I guess some with cash to burn can own such beauties, but not to use them for what they were meant for, to me is a waste.

Comment

Agreed. I wanted a 5-string bass to use the low B, and I use it, along with the other 4 strings, not just to say "I have a 5-string bass".

I think that's why a lot of people get 5+ string basses these days - just to say they have one.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

man thats crazy looking.. i like it

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                          man thats crazy looking.. i like it
                          I don't know how many years Charvel/Jackson made basses with Kahler 2440's, but maybe someone viewing this thread can chime in with some info.

BTW JDR94, theres a thread here called " three kahler bridges", for all kinds of pics of basses with 2440's, including my TBX.

Comment

I had three basses with Kahler trems on them..Randy Coven and Rudy Sarzo kinda made those popular amoung bass players back in the day (80's) . They're dumb IMO!

I rather play a fretless like Tony Franklin, Tony Levin or Steve Digiorgio if I need that kind of feel.

But that bass is prolly worthy of that price..you may make a few $$$. Flip it and buy sumthin' schweet!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

the couple bands I recently gigged with, both bassplayers had 6 stringers, and they didn't even use the extra strings on their OWN original music, except for some cool solos.
                              You wouldn't complain if someone only stepped on their wah for one solo in a set, or only used their floyd for a few divebombs, would you?

Having the extra things and being comfortable enough to use them tastefully and sparsely instead of shouting "LOOK AT MY EXTRA STRINGS" all the time is, for me, the whole point of having them.

And I'm not even a bassist.
                              Why so serious?

Comment

Working...
                              X