No announcement yet.

80's charvel bass with kahler tremolo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well this pic sucks but this is the bass i got....

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      You wouldn't complain if someone only stepped on their wah for one solo in a set, or only used their floyd for a few divebombs, would you?

Having the extra things and being comfortable enough to use them tastefully and sparsely instead of shouting "LOOK AT MY EXTRA STRINGS" all the time is, for me, the whole point of having them.

And I'm not even a bassist.
      You are absolutely correct, and I am with you 100%. Even for guitarplayers, who bring a pedalboard as big as a guitar case on stage, and only use the distortion out of it. The "SHOW" factor does not impress me one bit, it's how you use the stuff that counts. The "are you impressed" with my 7,000.00 worth of guitars sitting on a 5 guitar tree stand on stage stuff was an attitude I had when I was 18.

I get Jackson fanatics all the time asking me at shows where I got my TBX from, but if all they want to talk about is my guitar, I just keep on packing up my gear as I give them a couple quick answers.

I have seen many crap guitars and basses produce the greatest sounds at shows, but to me, I go to a show to see the band, not the GEAR, and I would always hope that people come to see US, not my guitar gear.

getting back to the topic: your post is a perfect example of the bass tremolo. IF they use it, and it fits the music...hell ya, do it!! If it is there just for the "showoff" factor, you can leave it in the case.
      http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
        I had three basses with Kahler trems on them..Randy Coven and Rudy Sarzo kinda made those popular amoung bass players back in the day (80's) . They're dumb IMO!

I rather play a fretless like Tony Franklin, Tony Levin or Steve Digiorgio if I need that kind of feel.

But that bass is prolly worthy of that price..you may make a few $$$. Flip it and buy sumthin' schweet!

do you mean the bass players are dumb or the kahler equiped basses are dumb?

i hear ya on the fretless, but at the same time a fretless cant drop below the open string. steve digiorgio is a bada** bass player tho

yeah chances are i'll play it for awhile then sell it or trade it, but like you said i should make a few bucks on it

Comment

No not the player..hell, I had them..well maybe then.

Actually that's a real nice find..looks like in great shape. I'm an "OK" guitarist..but I'm a monster bassist. I've hung and out and traded licks with Steve D, Stu Hamm, Barry Sparks and ect..I can hold my own. I gave 30 years to the 4 string and milked the shit out of it.

I have some old tapes, and live solo I could post. I wish I knew how..a few people heard 'em. I know Endrik has..he's a huge BASS nut!

No, I'm not a fan of the Kahler bass tremelo..I had one on an old Peavey and a Kramer. I'll take a nice Fender P w/ bridge pup with a Badass anyday or just a stock G & L 2000..which is my very favorite bass
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

damn it bill you have been talking about posting those tapes for years! when ya gonna do it? lol btw, do you have stock in g & l ? lol
            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Originally posted by peabuddy View Post
              damn it bill you have been talking about posting those tapes for years! when ya gonna do it? lol btw, do you have stock in g & l ? lol

..Yeah I know...and NO, I don't have a G & L now...but I will again eventually.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                do you mean the bass players are dumb or the kahler equiped basses are dumb?

i hear ya on the fretless, but at the same time a fretless cant drop below the open string. steve digiorgio is a bada** bass player tho

yeah chances are i'll play it for awhile then sell it or trade it, but like you said i should make a few bucks on it
                I think that having a tremolo like a Kahler on a bass makes just as much sense as it does on a guitar. And just like playing a fretless after being used to a fretted instrument, it takes some time to gain an affinity for the different feel and voicing. Then it adds that much more to your instrument; it gives you that much more flexibility and control.

A lot of people do use it for the shock-and-awe value. That's cool. But there's a lot of musical value in using a tremolo on the bass guitar that, I think, has yet to be explored in a mature way, jah mean?

From the point of view of a bassist, I think it makes more sense, at least in the way that I approach playing bass to have a trem on a bass than a guitar. The feeling of the two different aspects blend really well in my mind--when playing on a guitar with a tremolo, I tend to wish it weren't there and wish something like it were on a bass with similar specs.

Well, that's my two cents!
                From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

this is what is called---resurrecting a DEAD THREAD!!

Kahler on a C/J bass??? --- here's a pic of mine to make Rob ( peabuddy ) break his out and post a video with him using his

and oh ya that goes for T ( chowderboots ) also.

ignore the misfits that wanted to be part of the picture---lol

and DONT say "uh, dude that bar is in the wrong hole", cause I play all my axes flipped over

Comment

Wrong hole, man!! WRONG HOLE!!!

sorry...

I know right-handed people who prefer to use the top hole rather than the bottom hole. It fits in the palm of your hand better when you're plucking the strings that way.

Yeah...I need to get on that Had a great jam with my drummer/keyboardist friend today. Should have recorded some of it. Had a good sound going with my Hamer, too, although a little quiet. Damn...now I wish we had recorded some of that...wound up straying from Iron Maiden to the Ventures to Hendrix to Marduk, in our...own special way. haha

I hate making such statements without any evidence to back them up. Suppose that needs to change. Just have no idea what I can play that anyone would want to see or hear :think:

Comment

Originally posted by Chowderboots View Post
                      Just have no idea what I can play that anyone would want to see or hear :think:
                      I watch 100's of crummy youtube videos a week, and I never take it that way, I watch to watch, to see new and old players doing their thing, some great some bad, and not caring to what song they are playing...

Comment

True dat...I'm not worried about what things I can play, but rather how well I play them and how I approach them, jah mean?

Comment

hey chowderhead, the 2B I have "WAS" owned by another TB member. "BigOldHarry" .. he said he instantly recognized it when I posted a picture in a charvel thread... he thought he would never have seen that thing ever, since charvels with a kahler are not a common sight and he thought it was long parted out or destroyed....

we PM'ed each other a bit and.....

He bought it used in 89, had the kahler put on, and the rest is history. ( he told me he sold it off years ago )

funny how just when you think I'd never find the person who had the kahler put on I now know WHO did and know how long it has been on there.
                          Last edited by amimbari; 01-27-2009, 04:50 PM. Reason: corrected spelling errors

Comment

"I know right-handed people who prefer to use the top hole rather than the bottom hole. It fits in the palm of your hand better when you're plucking the strings that way."

i'm right handed and i prefer the bottom hole! lol no really it makes it easier to move out of the way. i play with my fingers most of the time and towards the bridge alot so i can push it down. i also like it snug so it doesn't just dangle
                            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

i'm right handed and i prefer the bottom hole! lol no really it makes it easier to move out of the way. i play with my fingers most of the time and towards the bridge alot so i can push it down. i also like it snug so it doesn't just dangle
                              this sounds like a sexual experience you had Rob...:ROTF::ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
                                hey chowderhead, the 2B I have "WAS" owned by another TB member. "BigOldHarry" .. he said he instantly recognized it when I posted a picture in a charvel thread... he thought he would never have seen that thing ever, since charvels with a kahler are not a common sight and he thought it was long parted out or destroyed....

we PM'ed each other a bit and.....

He bought it used in 89, had the kahler put on, and the rest is history. ( he told me he sold it off years ago )

funny how just when you think I'd never find the person who had the kahler put on I now know WHO did and know how long it has been on there.
                                That's really cool. One time, I was at Guitar Satan with my Roadstar and I ran into the guy who owned it years ago. It's neat to meet people who have had stuff before you.

"I know right-handed people who prefer to use the top hole rather than the bottom hole. It fits in the palm of your hand better when you're plucking the strings that way."

I have it in the bottom one as well. Feels much more natural that way. I tried it the other one and it just didn't work for me. I've also tinkered with using a high thread count 1/4" nut to lock the arm in place. It's nothing like the arm lock that you find on guitar trems, but it helps, if you don't want the arm flopping down on you.

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
                                this sounds like a sexual experience you had Rob...:ROTF::ROTF:
                                Yeah...it really does. Down by the bridge, huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X