• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel serial #, truss rod, and random debauch

Hey there! I'm new in Jackson/Charvel land. I've got a couple
    questions about my newest toy.

I hope it isn't out-of-order to plague the forum with yet another "I
    don't know what the hell this is--can you help me out" thread, however, I would sorta like to know what my baby is worth and get some pointers about a couple things. Hopefully, someone will find this at least a little entertaining!

I'm led to believe that is isn't quite a run-of-the mill instrument. When it was made, I don't know, but because I've seen almost identical Jackson Concert basses whose manufacturing dates are known, I think it was made in 1987. Neck through construction, same control layout, finishes, etc. The only thing is that this is a Charvel. I'm not too familiar with J/C serial number formats, so I can't tell for sure when or where it was made. To some people that might seem sorta silly, but I like to know as much as possible about my equipment--down to the very last detail. The serial number, which is stamped on the end of the fretboard, after the 21st fret (it is neck through, so no neck plate with the San Dimas PO box number, etc), appears to be C707818, but it's sorta hard to read.

Some things about it strike me as being a little weird. First of all, I put on a different gage of strings and, naturally, I needed to adjust the truss rod. I took off the cover, hex wrench in hand, only to be faced...not with a typical truss end. There isn't a hexagonal hole, but a round hole with a hexagonal outside. It looks like you could use a crescent wrench to adjust it, but there's no way you could fit a crescent wrench into the truss rod slot. Anyone have any ideas as to what I could do?

Furthermore, the tone pots don't work. I thought maybe the person who had the bass before me rewired it and bypassed them or something, but when I opened up the back of the control cavity, I found out that they're still wired up. It sounds like they're trying to work, but they just don't.

I'm also having issues with the bridge. The strings exit awfully close to the body when you take them out. I can't help but save my strings so cutting them off isn't an option. But it pains me to have the strings digging grooves in the finish when I change them.

This might be time to finally get a bass retrofitted with a Kahler tremolo. Love it or hate it...I think it's badass. The way I see it, the stock bridge is so decrepit, rusted out, and missing enough parts that pretty much anything is an improvement. Furthermore, I think the flexibility of a Kahler Hybrid bass trem, especially in terms of intonation and general setup is really spiffy.

Of course, this bass is used and 20 years old, so this sorta shmagma is to be expected. I knew what I was getting and I figured that it'd be nice to have something really nice to fix up over time. It just needs a bit of tender, loving care.

Any responses would be appreciated. Sorry if that was a little drawn out. I've always loved these guitars/basses and I'm eager to find out more about them. I've always wanted one--now I finally do, and I consider myself lucky to have found a really neat place to meet other fans of the world's zazziest and most classy instruments!

Cheers!
    From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

87 model 3b active electronics, passive pick ups. there's a wrench made for the truss rod but i don't have one. i'm sure some body on here could part with one
    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Welcome to the Jackson-Gang!

on the "fixed" Kahler side my TBX has a Kahler APM2440 in it. it is fully adjustable in all respects including string spacing. IF you don't want to go with the tremolo style, here's a good close up picture of it so you can see what it looks like.

Last edited by amimbari; 08-14-2008, 12:06 PM.
      http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
        Welcome to the Jackson-Gang!

on the "fixed" Kahler side my TBX has a Kahler APM2440 in it. it is fully adjustable in all respects including string spacing. IF you don't want to go with the tremolo style, here's a good close up picture of it so you can see what it looks like.

I've played one of those on a Grover Jackson 5 string. I thought it looked a little funny at first since because of its extreme slantiness, but it's definitely a lovely bridge. I've always wanted a Kahler tremolo on one of my basses and this is the perfect opportunity. Thanks for the help, guys!

Comment

Do you know if it's an import or a home-made instrument? I'm assuming it isn't all that rare or anything, but it plays just wonderfully! I don't normally dig single coil pickups, but that precision pickup is honkin'! xD When you use the two together, you get a sound similar to Decapitated's bassist, Marcin. It's a pretty neat machine.

Is that truss rod adjustment deal something that's just forgotten proprietary Jackson shmagma? Or is there something else to it?

Comment

i have several charvels and have never had to adjust the truss rods even changing string gauge . that is a japan production model 3b

Comment

Originally posted by peabuddy View Post
              i have several charvels and have never had to adjust the truss rods even changing string gauge . that is a japan production model 3b
              Don't get me wrong, dude--that neck is solid as my boss' cock...

Even with the old lighter gage strings on it, there's buzzing all over the fretboard and that sorta pisses me off since this bass is buttery awesome shredalicious supremo lovin'.

The reason I changed gages in the first place--my guitarist. He loves those low, low tunings and he HAS to play in a drop tuning. It's sorta imperative for him and that's cool. I'd just rather play in E standard and be done with it (I'd rather deal with the playing part of it more than screwing with wonky low tuning voodoo BS). But he gets a killer sound when he's wrenched the strings down to drop B and you can't argue with sound.

So thanks for your help, dudeman! Much appreciated!

-'Boots

Comment

i have a 3b set upwith low b (used lower 4 of a 5 string set) and only had to adjust that one a little. is the neck bowed? try a heavier set of strings if you want to tune down. my band does a lot of drop d or half step all the way. if it buzzes you might have to raise the string saddles a little. btw, i have a couple of basses with hipshot detuners and once they're dailed in, detuning is a flip of the lever. i wish i had them on all my basses
                Last edited by peabuddy; 08-15-2008, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by peabuddy View Post
                  i have a 3b set upwith low b (used lower 4 of a 5 string set) and only had to adjust that one a little. is the neck bowed? try a heavier set of strings if you want to tune down. my band does a lot of drop d or half step all the way. if it buzzes you might have to raise the string saddles a little. btw, i have a couple of basses with hipshot detuners and once they're dailed in, detuning is a flip of the lever. i wish i had them on all my basses
                  Yeah I didn't explain myself all that well. I put BEAD-tuned 1.30-.65 gage Lo-Riders on it, just like you, when I changed the gage (when I got it, they were standard .45-1.05 Lo-Riders). If the neck were adjusted properly by the guy who had it before me, this wouldn't have been an issue. If he had taken better care of it in general, it would be a lot better off.

My main incentive for replacing the bridge STAT is that a couple of the adjusting bolts are missing from the bridge saddles. If that weren't the case, I'd probably have this shmagma under control--I'm very particular about how the bridge saddles are set up, so the inherent problems from a sorta crappy bridge (adjustment wise, it's not very flexible, but it has a good, solid feel to it), along with years of neglect and abuse have made it pretty much worthless. It's not properly intoned because to keep the saddles as high as they are, they sorta have to rest upon one another.

It's just a huge mess and next paycheck, I'm going to clear it the hell up.

I'm also going to see about replacing that jazz pickup with something sexy--a Rio Grande was what I had in mind. I've wanted to try one of those on a honkin' piece of shrediness like this for a while. We'll see how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                  X