Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone out here have any experience with the Performer Series basses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone out here have any experience with the Performer Series basses?

there's a PS5 on CL and although it looks nice in the pictures, I tend to NOT listen to anyone who says "super smooth/fast neck and it plays like butter", unless I go try it for myself.

I was wondering if a PS5 was a cheaper Concert knockoff in all aspects INCLUDING the neck? In the pics it does still have the Jackson pups in it.

The CL is in another city a hour and a 1/2 away, and I didn't want to waste my time/gas to find out it was a cheap p.o.s. that I would have to put another 300 into it to make it a player...

thanks everyone.
    http://youtube.com/amimbari

It's a cheap POS that you will have to put some money into.
    The bass itself is fine, but the hardware and electronics are complete crap.
    Nothing like the concert series other than it's shape.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      It's a cheap POS that you will have to put some money into.
      The bass itself is fine, but the hardware and electronics are complete crap.
      Nothing like the concert series other than it's shape.
      lets break it down then..the bridge and tuners, cause from the pics it looks like my 2B and 3B Jackson bridge, unfortunately the pics do not show the type of enclosed newer style tuners, or are they (bridge/tuners) "totally" different?

when you say electronics you mean the pots will do no/very minor tonal adjustment and the pups will be microphonic squeelers?

I emailed the guy and asked if he would take 100 bucks, if he says yes, I may do the drive anyway for the body and neck.

thanks rjohnstone for the reply.

Comment

The electronics on the Performer series is pure bottom of the barrel.
        The pups vary depending on what year the guitar was made. The early ones (Jackson branded) sucked, but the DD (Duncan Designed) pups on the later models weren't terrible.

The tuners are decent enough, but require a lot of cranking. It's like a guitar tuner with a bass head on it. Find a set of Fender P-Bass tuners for better tuning stability.

The bridge is just stamped metal.

I'd grab it for $100... pots and wiring are cheap to replace.
        The bridge and pups are a different matter, but the current stuff is usable.
        -Rick

Comment

The electronics on the Performer series is pure bottom of the barrel.
          The pups vary depending on what year the guitar was made. The early ones (Jackson branded) sucked, but the DD (Duncan Designed) pups on the later models weren't terrible.

The tuners are decent enough, but require a lot of cranking. It's like a guitar tuner with a bass head on it. Find a set of Fender P-Bass tuners for better tuning stability.

The bridge is just stamped metal.

I'd grab it for $100... pots and wiring are cheap to replace.
          The bridge and pups are a different matter, but the current stuff is usable.
          ya, i figured it was worth at least 100 for the body+neck, so hopefully if he says yes, I'll go grab it. thanks again for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
            ya, i figured it was worth at least 100 for the body+neck, so hopefully if he says yes, I'll go grab it. thanks again for the info.
            aint worth much more than 100 IMO. go ahead look for a 2b and you'll be happier! lol
            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Having owned both performers and the later Japanese (ke3, kv3) stuff I prefer the Jackson branded pickups to the DD's. Don't know about bridges and tuners (never had any problems with either) but the pots on the later models crapped out on me pretty quickly.
              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by peabuddy View Post
                aint worth much more than 100 IMO. go ahead look for a 2b and you'll be happier! lol
                hi Rob, naw I passed on the PS5 cause he said no to 100.00.

the 2B may come in the future, cause I already have that red 3B that has killer tone with a neck that plays like "margarine" <<< I would have said butter, but the "fat" in butter makes me think of a wider neck--

the only thing it lacks is the binding like my TBX, so I can "feel" the difference in the edge when I'm really sliding up and down the fretboard. ( NO SEX COMMENTS OK?? )

I just found and bought a really good condition black 1B for 300 which included a TKL HSC, EMG replacement and OEM pup, and shipping with no chips on the head or body.

the CL seller who I asked about taking 100. did not have a pic of the back of the neck, and after seeing the close-up pic of the neck on the ebay link for the PS5---ugh!!! ARE THEY ALL LIKE THAT??? --HOLYHELL!

according to all of you, this guy must want 100 more than that PS5 is worth...quote: FREE SHIPPING WITH BUY IT NOW!! If you dont use buy it now, shipping will be $28--well there IS NO option but the BIN :ROTF:

Comment

well SOMEONE out there just paid more than a hundred for a PS5......

Comment

Working...
                  X