CMG Concert Bass Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMG Concert Bass Opinions

What's the consensus on the CMG Concert bass? I am looking at picking up a bass and wondered if this is good bass for the money. I am looking for something that will give me good rock/metal tones. I need something to lay down some backing bass tracks with.

Shoud I look at this bass or try and find something used? If used is the way to go what models should I look for?
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

I have played a Jackson Concert series. The one with the EMG humbuckers, ESP-type control layout, and satin-finished maple neck with sharktooth inlays we all have seen at one point or another.

This one right? http://jacksonguitars.com/products/p...uct=2919003503

I played it...and I did not like it. At all, in fact.

I was sorely disappointed. The neck felt bad, and it didn't sound exceptionally good. The pickups sounded so stale and listless compared to what I had expected, especially after having fallen in love with my Charvel! All in all, it was incrediby saddening.

However, you might love it. I say try one! But for that distinctly "Jackson" sound and feel that you know and love, do yourself a favor and find a nice old specimen on eBay (for a fraction of the price!). You should remember: I am a weird kid and my perception on good or bad is drastically colored by a lot of things. The CMGs are a prime example of basses with humbuckers that look awesome (and they do, don't they?). But given the choice, I would rather buy an ESP or Ibanez with the money that it would take to buy a CMG.

Anyway, I say: find a Charvel model 2B or 3B on eBay, Craigslist, guitar shop, pawn shop...wherever. You will love it and you'll love yourself for getting it! Awesome pickups (P+J--my favorite!), construction, feel and a great, raunchy tone circuit. If you get a 3B or 4B, you get that kickass pickup selector as well. When you play one of those old J/C basses, it feels like your fingers are dancing on a fang dripping with venom. It's so metal!!!

The neck feels a lot like that on the Ibanez Destroyer basses, but longer and slimmer. It gets nice and skinny by the nut, but it's still got enough meat on it for me to love it.

Plus, the tuners on my 3B...so awesome and burly compared to anything else I've ever tweaked (can't get a Jackson with machines like these any more!):

If you get one in good condition it should slay on your recordings. If you use it right, it'll make you a very happy person.

Like what I'm saying? I wouldn't blame you if you don't. I hate not liking the new Jackson basses, but they really make me really sad...and for the $650 you would spend on a CMG, you could get a really well taken care of 2B or 3B and treat yourself to a nice new strap and a couple pedals.

Anyway...there you go. I'll let someone else speak now
    Last edited by Chowderboots; 11-27-2008, 01:05 AM.
    From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

Originally posted by Chowderboots View Post
      You should remember: I am a weird kid and my perception on good or bad is drastically colored by a lot of things.
      Plus, the tuners on my 3B...so awesome and burly compared to anything else I've ever tweaked (can't get a Jackson with machines like these any more!):

can you tell he is a little BIASED about the B series compared to the Concert series...BUT his opinion is the same as mine..for looks I'd rather have a greenburst CMG, for playability...I'll take a 3B myself.

the mini tuners stay in tune, yep...but the open-gear large tuners are way nicer

http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Yeah I am very biased. But since you asked for people's opinions, I figured that I'd at least give you a piece of my mind. Can't blame me for being honest!

Comment

Yeah I am very biased. But since you asked for people's opinions, I figured that I'd at least give you a piece of my mind. Can't blame me for being honest!
          if the holes in the 1B AND my TBX could be altered ( they cant ), I would add the large open gear tuners in both of those also

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
            if the holes in the 1B AND my TBX could be altered ( they cant ), I would add the large open gear tuners in both of those also
            Yeah...I know that feeling. I have it on my Spector. I had the choice between that and a Jackson Concert V (like this: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86551) at Guitar Satan and I chose the Spector. The Spector sure is a looker, but if I were given the choice now, I would probably pick the Jackson. At least, when I'm in the mood for a fast 5 string with burly tuners, I have my Roadstar 5 (which I almost lost my Charvel over)

Worth it for the tuners alone! kinda funny how much difference the look and feel of the tuners have over my perception of a bass's beauty. Kinda sad, but true!

ANYWAY, as Amimbari has pointed out to me, there have been some less desirable basses made by Jackson, even in the "good years" of the Charvel B series (like the Charvette 400 and Jackson PS5--thanks for pointing that out), but I am referring to the B series in particular as truly exceptional basses.

I'm positive that a CMG would serve you well for years and years of use in your studio without fail, but I would recommend that you try out your options before you buy.

Comment

Well, pickups can always be swapped out.

I haven't tried a CMG yet, but the new Lamb Of God sig bass felt very solid at NAMM (only place I had to try one). Didn't get to hear it, though.

I've got 3 Jackson basses - Concert V, C5P, and a USA JZB2. Tonewise, the C5P (looks like a molar, or a turnip ) kills the other two BUT the other two came with Jackson pickups, which aren't exactly tone-monsters. They get sound, but the Duncan Designed soapbar-style in the C5P have tons more output and a better-for-bass tone IMO.

Really it depends on what sort of bass tone you're going for. I hate to advertise anything other than Jackson, but another good choice would be a Mexican-made Fender Precision. I had one of those and the tone was nice and round like Steve Harris'.

However, I do prefer my Jackson basses

Now if you can scrore a Winger, you will not regret it (except maybe the trussrod with the signature )
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

if a CMG sounds like the EMG's in my TBX, then cool, although I love that TBX as my #1 player, it is not my #1 tone machine!! I still, and always will, have my other Jacksons non-Jackson basses that give me the tone "difference".

my point is if you don't need a EMG equipped concert, you can find a used concert cheaper, as well as a 3B here and there when they are available if your not into soapbar pickups, or triangles inlays.

( I aLWAYS liked the Greenburst CMG though )

and newc, I always have one of these items on my GAS list:

850XL/Futura/KW/SuperDinky

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Well, pickups can always be swapped out.
                  However, if you don't like the pickups in the CMG and wanted, say, a Precision pickup or another shape humbucker, it'd look pretty wonky with the soapbar routs, you know?

And yeah...that green finish on the CMGs is very awesome

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am still on the hunt for something. I guess I'll know what it is when I find it.
                    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Yep. Have fun looking! If you do find something that tickles yous fancy, let us know! I for one would love to see what you wind up with

Comment

Yep. Have fun looking! If you do find something that tickles yous fancy, let us know! I for one would love to see what you wind up with
                        I agree, find a nice MIM Fender Jazz, and rock the world

Comment

guess i'll chime in here ! lol look for a model series bass 2b or 3b as my fellow bass players have previously advised. you can get 1 with money to spare compared to a cmg. the build quality of the model series is as good as usa jacksons,IMO. i have both and my main bass at the moment is a charvel 2b with a kahler trem.
                          The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

[quote=Chowderboots;1174836]However, if you don't like the pickups in the CMG and wanted, say, a Precision pickup or another shape humbucker, it'd look pretty wonky with the soapbar routs, you know?
                            /quote]

Yeah, but the Duncan Designed Bar-things in my C5P are incredibly expressive and responsive, far more than the P-bass I had, or the Jackson P/Js I also have.

Though as soon as my personal economy picks up, I'm springing for either Duncans or Bartolinis for all my basses.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              as soon as my personal economy picks up
                              AMEN TO THAT BROTHER

I just bought a 4B, not too many of those things around anymore, and it's clean enough for what I paid for sure. ( can you say Ramen-Noodles and ChefBoyArDee for a couple weeks? ) once I get it I'll start a thread, and throw some "B" series family pics online.

and not to hijack the topic but...
                              heres a current post on my youtube video that just shows my TBX to people:

"i love the shape of the body, but the headstock just ruins it for me. how does it sound? "

and my reply:
                              to me that IS what makes a Jackson a Jackson--hahahaha

(must be a FenderFreak)

Comment

Working...
                              X