Bass pickups - recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass pickups - recommendations?

I've got 2 basses that I want to replace the pickups in - a Concert V (P/J) and a JZB2 (2 Js). Both have the original Jackson pickups, but I'm looking for something with a bit more power - more "oomph". Basically something with an all-around better tone.

I know what's out there - Bartolini, Fender, EMG, Duncan, DiMarzio, ad infinitum - but what do the bassists in the bunch recommend and why?

I don't have a bass amp - usually I run through my ADA MP-1 and TSR 12 setup. the TSR has a wide enough EQ to do bass. I like the sound of my C5P with the Duncan Designed soapbars. It's nice and full.

I've also got a Bass POD that I rarely use, maybe because of the pickups.

Not sure what specific tones I'm looking for. My favorite bass tones are Geddy Lee, Steve Harris, Ian Hill (Priest), Geezer, John Paul Jones - plenty of punch and low-end. I also like smooth, deep bass tones.

Obviously I should be leaning towards the Fender pickups, and that'd be an easy choice - P for the Harris, J for the Rush - but I don't wanna miss out on a better choice if there is one.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

hey matt, i am currently using a 2b with the jackson pups and i love the tone. but i have a few with emgs and they are a little warmer. i dont do any slap but finger playing sounds better with the jackson pups and with a pick i like the emgs. the emgs don't have as much treble so the pick attack is not as noticeable. at least the way i play! lol
    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

here comes the opinionated, biased answers?

Newc

all mine are j2000 or emg, my 2B is non preamped and it sounds (ok), but thats about it without lots of help from the effect rack. throw a 20 dollar j2000 in there and see what happens .

you may find it a cheap alternative, you may like it ..if not, then go the full pickup replacement...what would I put in to replace my p/j's IF I wanted to do that --

E.M.G.

I almost bought a 3B j2000 harness and pots to put in my 2B, but missed out on the end of the auction on ebay. It went for under 20 bucks.
      http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Bias is my middle name, Amimbari!

My recommendation is DiMarzio. They are what work for me. For passive P+Js, they are as good as gold. I love the spectrum of tone they naturally have, especially when you bypass the tone control. Their sound is very gutsy and shimmery--they have plenty of output and are really clear. I haven't tried EMG P+Js, but I was disappointed in their passive humbuckers. I like pickups that can make even the most dead and worn out strings sound alive and DiMarzios do it, but with EMGs, I've found that I have to constantly change the strigns for them to sound zingy.

I like a pretty bright sound, too...so I can only recommend what I like, I guess.

I've heard great stuff about their Jazz set. I'm curious about trying them out one day. What's cool about a DiMarzio P+J setup is that the J is lower output in comparison to the P, so that creates a diverse palette of sounds in and of itself.

Bartolinis are nice for a darker sound. They are like DiMarzios, but without the extra brightness, and EMGs naturally have that mid scooped sound, I think. Lots of people like EMGs. I'm sure they'd serve you very well if you put them in your bass. They'd sound very similar to your Jackson pickups like Amimbari and Peabuddy said, but they would probably be a little darker.
        From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

G&L active magnetic field pickups. My old friend orderd them and installed then on his '62 P bass..they are the aboslute best IMO!

I've had about every bass pup known to man..and they are Da Bomb!!

Just Ask Endrik..he knows!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
            G&L active magnetic field pickups. My old friend orderd them and installed then on his '62 P bass..they are the aboslute best IMO!

I've had about every bass pup known to man..and they are Da Bomb!!

Just Ask Endrik..he knows!
            Heard you raving about those! I'll work with just about anything...but I'm a creature of habit so I get into my cozy DiMarzio rut.
            From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

Working...
            X