Sound Clips Of Different Kind Of Basses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Clips Of Different Kind Of Basses

I think this would be helpful to many folks who want to get a bass but aren't sure what kind of bass to buy.
    Lakland, a company which makes extremely good basses and some of the best vintage Fender sounding instruments, has awesome soundclips on their page which demonstrate different kind of basses with different pickups, roundwound or flatwound strings, different music and playing styles etc.

This is the soundclip page

for example

Classic Jazz bass sounds (Joe Osborn USA model)

Classic Precision bass sounds (Bob Glaub Skyline model)

then you got some other vintage style basses, modern basses with Musicman or Bartolini style pickups etc.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

I don't understand what your asking Endrick?

are you saying you wished that more companies websites showed you what you would be buying in soundclips not just pictures instead of the recommendation of someone else correct?

that would be a unusually hard task to perform considering just the different brands Rondo/GC/MF...etc sells, and it naturally would be ultimately up to the companies who distribute to those stores.

honestly IMO in my experiences the "feel" of the thing is equally important as the tone, thanks to effects out there, amps cabs and different hardware available to change.

you know how it is... play it in the store, sounds good ....take it home tweek your knobs and it either sounds better or worse, and your taking it back, regretting it cause you can't, or superhappy cause thats the tone monster with your stuff you been looking for
    http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
      I don't understand what your asking Endrick?
      you don't understand because I clearly wasn't asking for anything

are you saying you wished that more companies websites showed you what you would be buying in soundclips not just pictures instead of the recommendation of someone else correct?

that would be a unusually hard task to perform considering just the different brands Rondo/GC/MF...etc sells, and it naturally would be ultimately up to the companies who distribute to those stores.
      dude, I didn't wrote anything about what you are referring to :think:

honestly IMO in my experiences the "feel" of the thing is equally important as the tone, thanks to effects out there, amps cabs and different hardware available to change.
      and again, I didn't say a word about feel... feel is important but the better player you are the less it counts... it's all about the tone... most of the bass aces use instruments with huge necks in the studio... if you are good enough you'll get used to any kind of instrument... feel is more of a harmony central product review kind of thing... folks blabbing about the neck for 10 paragraphs but it's a miracle if you get a one sentence about the sound.

you know how it is... play it in the store, sounds good ....take it home tweek your knobs and it either sounds better or worse, and your taking it back, regretting it cause you can't, or superhappy cause thats the tone monster with your stuff you been looking for
      yes I know how it is, but this is not the point of this thread.

I made this thread with the purpose to help people who want to buy a bass guitar but don't have any idea what TYPE of instrument to get.
      This is not about which Lakland to get, although can't go wrong with them because they are amazing basses but also very expensive.
      Lakland happened to do a really good job demonstrating how the different types of basses sound (J, P, or some other type, with flats or with rounds, humbucker or single coil etc. while demonstrating them in different musical situations). And those clips are very good because there's no EQ-ing and studio magic, they demonstrate the pure bass tone to give you an idea of the character of the tone.
      If someone here decides he/she wants to start playing a bass but has not idea what TYPE to get (yes TYPE, I'm not talking about brands). Maybe he wants to play growling rock or booming motown grooves with flatwounds then those clips may give him a glue that P type of bass is the right thing for him. Maybe he wants versality, bell like clean tone, crisp slapping and tapping tone, then maybe the J type of bass clips give him an idea that it's the best thing for him. Or maybe he wants more modern tone, more compressed and sensitive pickups... perhaps some other basses give him that. Maybe he doesn't have any glue what he wants to do but hearing those clips may give him a hint of the type of the bass which tone appeals to him the most.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I think I understand what you're getting at...this would be a cool thread on TalkBass. I think that most of the people who make their way over to the JCF bass section are kinda set in their pointy/sleek bass addicted ways and like metal just as much as Motown.
        Last edited by Chowderboots; 02-08-2009, 02:44 PM.
        From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

Then again, directing potential buyers to a non-Jackson site to hear non-Jackson bass clips - especially for newbies - would more likely send them away from Jackson basses, which is not what we need to do

Even with flat EQ and no studio magic, you're still getting individual player tone, which even with a squeaky-clean amp/DI setting can be as different as night and day between any two players. If you ever heard the Family Style CD with SRV and Jimmie Ray, the last track has them passing the same guitar back and forth for the solos, and the tonal difference is astounding.

So, perhaps it is our duty as the best Jackson/Charvel-related site to band together and post "promo clips" of various Jacksons and Charvels of various pickup/wood/construction differences. Let's put this "neckthrough=more sustain" and "stringthrough/TOM=more sustain than OFR/trem" and "my JT580 is just as good as an OFR" and "EMGs sound the same in every guitar" et al to the test.

We'll have to establish Controls first - guitar setups (pickup and string height), as well as recording parameters (flat/no EQ, DI input so mics and speakers can't color the tone, etc).

Hmmm. Lemme run a few tests and get back to this.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm sure that people on TalkBass would enjoy those links and stuff. They tend to like to compare stuff like that. Plus, you'll find more "beginners" on TalkBass, or people looking to buy their first instrument there.

I agree with Newc--your sound comes from your playing. I for one don't make very logical decisions when choosing a bass...I just follow my GAS

I'm still kinda confused about your post, Endrik. I think that most people here have had experience with a variety of different types of basses and pickups before and are more familiar with what's out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
              you don't understand because I clearly wasn't asking for anything
              yes I know how it is, but this is not the point of this thread.

I made this thread with the purpose to help people who want to buy a bass guitar but don't have any idea what TYPE of instrument to get.
              yep got it now, you didn't have to pick apart my post line by line TYVM.

BUT....since you did, let me just say that NEWC is right, this is the JCF forum, and you talking about how good a
              Lakland is, sounds like advertising to me for a non-C/J brand....

this board does have some newbie bassplayers in here, but I'm sure they all are here looking to see how people like their Jackson stuff, and not care about Lakland, and the F-word ( FENDER ), unless your LOOKING for a Fender sound, then perhaps a Lakland is a excellent choice which most people asking about Jacksons could care lesss about, IF THEY ARE, then they are on TB drooling over the FenderLovers equipment, not here..

I own and have played enough C/J stuff to not worry about those "other" brands as well, because THAT IS MY POINT OF BEING HERE AND ON TB. To promote that Jacksons ARE great basses to own and play compared to the Fenderlovers that so cherish their own idea of what basses should sound like..

I'm so tired of hearing "if you don't own a Fender you don't own a bass" ....

I get enough FLACK on TB about how my Jackson CAN'T compare to a Fender ( or anything else in their minds ), that does not have a Fender sticker on the headstock, or the Fender tone.

now.....as far as posting soundclips for the newbies on how Jackson basses sound...I think THAT is a wonderful Idea....SO wonderful in fact, that I have over100 videos of various songs USING ALL MY Jacksons as demos, and many of the newbies and old-guys here in the bass area have heard, and are very proud to hear and see someone who plays Jacksons exclusively, and will DEFEND them against all the FenderFools who say they suck in the "talkFenderbass.com" Forums just because 10 years ago they played a crappy PS-5 for 2 minutes at the guitar store.....
              http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

I'm going with Endrik on this one. There is a reason there isn't alot of bassists on the JCF. Personally I would hit a dog in the ass with a Jackson/Charvel Bass...they're lame IMO!

I love the guitars, but their basses are just crap to me. This is just my opinion..I've played bass for over 30 years, and owned just about every high quality bass known to man.

I mean they'll do the job, just not as good IMO! Jackson is not alone, other companys such as Dean, BC Rich, ESP, ect. suck much ass when it comes to basses.

These companies mainly focus on guitars. Honestly, Its like making a bass is an afterthought.

Maybe Jackson should take notes from bassists like myself or Endrik for example, and make a real fuggin' bass for .
                Last edited by horns666; 02-08-2009, 06:26 PM.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Amimbari..what videos? I wanna see 'em.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I understand ya, Bill, but I really enjoy Jackson, Charvel, BC Rich, etc. basses for what they are. Maybe I'm just a dumb kid or maybe I'm just a little sadistic...or both! But I played an old Mockingbird bass the other week and it was amazing. Obviously not as precise or gorgeous as something like an Alembic, but it doesn't feel right to play black metal on an Alembic, now does it? Just my warped view of things...

Comment

Originally posted by Chowderboots View Post
                      I understand ya, Bill, but I really enjoy Jackson, Charvel, BC Rich, etc. basses for what they are. Maybe I'm just a dumb kid or maybe I'm just a little sadistic...or both! But I played an old Mockingbird bass the other week and it was amazing. Obviously not as precise or gorgeous as something like an Alembic, but it doesn't feel right to play black metal on an Alembic, now does it? Just my warped view of things...

..sure that would be beautiful ya crazy bastid! I actually felt funny whenever I had to do my slap/tap solo live spot with a pointy Jackson.

I only had to do that a couple times. Then I jumped up from 95s to 105s. Yes, I broke my E string a couple times live..I play VERY VERY hard.

I have a old home vid of my old VH tribute w/ bass solo, but don't know how to post vids on youtube. I should send this to E ..maybe he can post it for me.

Jackson should look to G & L to how to make a fusion/funk friendly bass with balls for pickups!

Amimbari...I saw one of your vids. For your needs a Jackson fits you just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        I'm going with Endrik on this one. There is a reason there isn't alot of bassists on the JCF. Personally I would hit a dog in the ass with a Jackson/Charvel Bass...they're lame IMO!

I love the guitars, but their basses are just crap to me. This is just my opinion..I've played bass for over 30 years, and owned just about every high quality bass known to man.

I mean they'll do the job, just not as good IMO! Jackson is not alone, other companys such as Dean, BC Rich, ESP, ect. suck much ass when it comes to basses.

These companies focus on guitars. Honestly, Its like making a bass is an afterthought.

Maybe Jackson should take notes from bassists like myself or Endrik for example, and make a real fuggin' bass.
                        Horns, I gotta disagree with you...I'm not sure why there is a lack of bass players here, but you mention BC Rich having the same lack of quality problem, yet bass players are everywhere on the Rich player's forum, (and raving about their guitars).

Now I would agree with you that the import stuff leaves something to be desired,(bought a Kelly with the EMG Hz's...sold it a week later), but as I cruise around the bass section it seems most of us are living in the '80's as far as bass prefrences. My '85 San Dimas Concert, (thanks again for the date Amimbari), is one of THE nicest basses I've played. Once I've rounded out my '80's collection, (like I'll ever stop:ROTF, I hope to try a Jackson or Rich custom shop...

Comment

Originally posted by maynard View Post
                          Horns, I gotta disagree with you...I'm not sure why there is a lack of bass players here, but you mention BC Rich having the same lack of quality problem, yet bass players are everywhere on the Rich player's forum, (and raving about their guitars).

Now I would agree with you that the import stuff leaves something to be desired,(bought a Kelly with the EMG Hz's...sold it a week later), but as I cruise around the bass section it seems most of us are living in the '80's as far as bass prefrences. My '85 San Dimas Concert, (thanks again for the date Amimbari), is one of THE nicest basses I've played. Once I've rounded out my '80's collection, (like I'll ever stop:ROTF, I hope to try a Jackson or Rich custom shop...
                          Nahhhh..I've tried/owned "nice" Jacskon basses...they're not for me.

Thanks anywhoo..

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            Nahhhh..I've tried/owned "nice" Jacskon basses...they're not for me.

Thanks anywhoo..
                            I understand...basically what we're talking about is trying to convince a Chevy guy to buy a Ford .

Comment

Originally posted by maynard View Post
                              I understand...basically what we're talking about is trying to convince a Chevy guy to buy a Ford .

Ummmm...yeah.

More like a Ferrari guy buying a Chevy..or Ford.

Hey, they're all cars..right?

Hey, there's nothing wrong with anyone's love for a Jackson bass. If that's what makes you happy..that's cool. But there's also nothing wrong with guys who like slappin' the wood off a Ken Smith.

One of my first bass songs I learned was "Stomp" from the Brothers Johnson. That's MY language! That's excatly what I do..but with lots of tappin' involved.

Comment

Working...
                              X