No announcement yet.

Sound Clips Of Different Kind Of Basses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeesh..I learned this song note for note more than 25 years ago.

This guy is ok, and does a decent job with the song. But I compensated for two basses when I learned it. Prolly because I didn't realize there was TWO bass tracks. So I played it much busier, and aggressive..like the record.

Watch for the bridge and outro. Learn this and you'll be on your way to awesomeness.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcFjl6shqs4
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
      Ummmm...yeah.

More like a Ferrari guy buying a Chevy..or Ford.

Hey, they're all cars..right?

Hey, there's nothing wrong with anyone's love for a Jackson bass. If that's what makes you happy..that's cool. But there's also nothing wrong with guys who like slappin' the wood off a Ken Smith.

One of my first bass songs I learned was "Stomp" from the Brothers Johnson. That's MY language! That's excatly what I do..but with lots of tappin' involved.
      Once again, I understand...My first real bass was a Ric 4001 because I idolized Chris Squire..."Yours Is No Disgrace" was one of the first songs I
      learned...

All it means is we all have different abilities, tastes, and opinions!

Comment

Originally posted by maynard View Post
        Once again, I understand...My first real bass was a Ric 4001 because I idolized Chris Squire..."Yours Is No Disgrace" was one of the first songs I
        learned...

All it means is we all have different abilities, tastes, and opinions!
        Oh, great player and song. Yes, I had a ric..the pups were a bit weak but its a very nice bass. Not really set up for my needs mind you. I spank the shit out of a bass. If you like your basses..don't let me play 'em...'cause I'll spank 'em silly...SILLY!!

I had to tape my fingers up between gigs on weekends. By the end of the night my fingers were bleeding like a mofo..but the Jagermeister kept me goin'.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Oh, great player and song. Yes, I had a ric..the pups were a bit weak but its a very nice bass. Not really set up for my needs mind you. I spank the shit out of a bass. If you like your basses..don't let me play 'em...'cause I'll spank 'em silly...SILLY!!

I had to tape my fingers up between gigs on weekends. By the end of the night my fingers were bleeding like a mofo..but the Jagermeister kept me goin'.
          Bloody fingers!!! I think that's something we all can appreciate!

Comment

Originally posted by maynard View Post
            Bloody fingers!!! I think that's something we all can appreciate!
            Yeah man..a fresh pack of Rotosound 105's will do that shit!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chowderboots View Post
              I think I understand what you're getting at...this would be a cool thread on TalkBass. I think that most of the people who make their way over to the JCF bass section are kinda set in their pointy/sleek bass addicted ways and like metal just as much as Motown.
              Well, I was trying to be helpful, trust me there are people who care more about other things than a look or a brand name.

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Then again, directing potential buyers to a non-Jackson site to hear non-Jackson bass clips - especially for newbies - would more likely send them away from Jackson basses, which is not what we need to do

Even with flat EQ and no studio magic, you're still getting individual player tone, which even with a squeaky-clean amp/DI setting can be as different as night and day between any two players. If you ever heard the Family Style CD with SRV and Jimmie Ray, the last track has them passing the same guitar back and forth for the solos, and the tonal difference is astounding.
              well, we discuss about plenty of non-Jackson/Charvels on this board anyway.
              I try not to be a blind brand follower. As I've said before I like Jackson and Charvel guitars because of their sound and versatile options, I don't really care about what image they are related to.
              When it comes to Charvel and Jackson basses then they leave me very cold. I don't like the looks and don't like the tone.

It's obvious that different players have different tone, it all depends of the technique, size of the fingers, rhythm placement etc. but you can still clearly hear the characteristics of different bass types. You can clearly hear a difference between a J and P bass no matter who is playing them.

For example, let's take 3 slap players with J type of basses:

Marcus Miller - really heavy slapper, Larry Graham style
              Music: Run for coverBass: Marcus MillerSax: Everette HarpDrums: Poogie BellsJapan- 1991

Jerry Barnes - more of Louis Johnson type slapping
              chic solo at montreux with nile rodgers and his bassist slapping, live at montreux 2004

Melvin Lee Davis - a tad softer hitter than the previous ones but a style which contains both
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And now go to Lakland's site, J type of bass, Roundwounds, both pickups and Slap type of playing.

All players have a different tone in their hands but they all have a unmistakable bell like, snappy Jazz Bass sound characteristics.

I'm sure that people on TalkBass would enjoy those links and stuff. They tend to like to compare stuff like that. Plus, you'll find more "beginners" on TalkBass, or people looking to buy their first instrument there.

I'm still kinda confused about your post, Endrik. I think that most people here have had experience with a variety of different types of basses and pickups before and are more familiar with what's out there.
              I'm sure that this is posted on TalkBass. Some people maybe don't want to go to TalkBass, perhaps it's easier for some to ask questions here.
              If "most people have had experience with a variety of different types of basses" that doesn't mean that everyone has. Me and Bill have gotten plenty of questions about bass sounds, how to record them etc. We try to be as objective as possible and not go with "buy a Jackson because this is a Jackson board" type of answer.

It was thanks to Bill who talked about non-Jackson type of basses which lead me to G&L's. I was always a fan of Fenders and Ken Smiths mostly. But thanks to Bill I went to my buddie's multi million dollar studio in Czech who has has all the instruments and amps you can imagine. And I was blown away by the G&L. I instantly thought that this is the shit.
              Me and a very good friend of mine who is one of the leading players in the country have tried for bazillion of hours of bazillion types of different gear amd finally he got his dream sound with the G&L. You see things like that can be helpful.

Maybe these clips can give a hint to someone to find his/her ideal tone.

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
              yep got it now, you didn't have to pick apart my post line by line TYVM.

this board does have some newbie bassplayers in here, but I'm sure they all are here looking to see how people like their Jackson stuff, and not care about Lakland, and the F-word ( FENDER ), unless your LOOKING for a Fender sound, then perhaps a Lakland is a excellent choice which most people asking about Jacksons could care lesss about, IF THEY ARE, then they are on TB drooling over the FenderLovers equipment, not here..

I own and have played enough C/J stuff to not worry about those "other" brands as well, because THAT IS MY POINT OF BEING HERE AND ON TB. To promote that Jacksons ARE great basses to own and play compared to the Fenderlovers that so cherish their own idea of what basses should sound like..

I'm so tired of hearing "if you don't own a Fender you don't own a bass" ....

I get enough FLACK on TB about how my Jackson CAN'T compare to a Fender ( or anything else in their minds ), that does not have a Fender sticker on the headstock, or the Fender tone.

now.....as far as posting soundclips for the newbies on how Jackson basses sound...I think THAT is a wonderful Idea....SO wonderful in fact, that I have over100 videos of various songs USING ALL MY Jacksons as demos, and many of the newbies and old-guys here in the bass area have heard, and are very proud to hear and see someone who plays Jacksons exclusively, and will DEFEND them against all the FenderFools who say they suck in the "talkFenderbass.com" Forums just because 10 years ago they played a crappy PS-5 for 2 minutes at the guitar store.....
              I'm sorry if I sounded like an asshole, I'm not the friendliest dude on earth so don't take what I say personally.

Anyway, trust me many folks here own non-Jackson basses and who don't aren't only interested in them. Some may look for an objective advice without registering to other forums.
              And I'm not the type of dude who says "you have to own a Fender".. I often suggest them but I also bring out their faults. I mention that people should check out the Mexican line because lately I've been impressed of their sound more than the US made ones. I also say that some Jazz basses may have a weak signal so getting an onboard preamp may be necessary.

I understand ya, Bill, but I really enjoy Jackson, Charvel, BC Rich, etc. basses for what they are. Maybe I'm just a dumb kid or maybe I'm just a little sadistic...or both! But I played an old Mockingbird bass the other week and it was amazing. Obviously not as precise or gorgeous as something like an Alembic, but it doesn't feel right to play black metal on an Alembic, now does it? Just my warped view of things...
              Well, that's one of the reasons I try to give my advice. You see very little metal players on bass forums, most of them are funk/jazz/fusion players. They don't find much interest in metal bass playing because it's not a music known for hot basslines and killer bass tones.
              Bill here is one of the biggest metal heads on planet but when it comes to bass playing he has stated that metal style bass playing and tones bore the hell out of him.
              That is one of the reasons, we try to give advice for musicians who play heavier type of music but want better tone than the average metal bassists have. In metal the bass is often buried in the mix and the players aren't the most aggressive ones mostly. Some metal musicians are interested how to get killer driving and powerful bass sounds like they are in funk our soul music.
              I have suggested different types of basses, pickups, strings, amps, cabs, di-boxes, bi amping, using a crossover, leaving the low end clean, distorting the upper frequencies, EQ'ing and compressing tipes etc.

I'm not trying to take the Jackson glory away, it's just people are different and have different needs, so why not help them for a little bit.
              Last edited by Endrik; 02-08-2009, 09:16 PM.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

E is laying it down ..right from my bible.

Let there be be bass...and there was Leo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                  Anyway, trust me many folks here own non-Jackson basses and who don't aren't only interested in them. Some may look for an objective advice without registering to other forums.
                  And I'm not the type of dude who says "you have to own a Fender".. I often suggest them but I also bring out their faults. I mention that people should check out the Mexican line because lately I've been impressed of their sound more than the US made ones. I also say that some Jazz basses may have a weak signal so getting an onboard preamp may be necessary.

Well, that's one of the reasons I try to give my advice. You see very little metal players on bass forums, most of them are funk/jazz/fusion players. They don't find much interest in metal bass playing because it's not a music known for hot basslines and killer bass tones.
                  Bill here is one of the biggest metal heads on planet but when it comes to bass playing he has stated that metal style bass playing and tones bore the hell out of him.
                  That is one of the reasons, we try to give advice for musicians who play heavier type of music but want better tone than the average metal bassists have. In metal the bass is often buried in the mix and the players aren't the most aggressive ones mostly. Some metal musicians are interested how to get killer driving and powerful bass sounds like they are in funk our soul music.
                  I have suggested different types of basses, pickups, strings, amps, cabs, di-boxes, bi amping, using a crossover, leaving the low end clean, distorting the upper frequencies, EQ'ing and compressing tipes etc.

I'm not trying to take the Jackson glory away, it's just people are different and have different needs, so why not help them for a little bit.
                  I kow what you mean, man. I'm interested in all sorts of stuff besides just Jacksons/Charvels. The thing is, I can talk about other stuff wherever I want, but it's more difficult to find people to chat about J/Cs or have as much experience as the people here do, so here's where I go to talk about J/C stuff.

Yeah Jazz pickups tend to be a little less raunchy than P pickups. I think that might be part of why a P/J pickup configuration is so solid and diverse.

A good number of the people who stop by the JCF bass section, however, are into metal or rock (I believe) and so are a good number of the people who post quite often...so that's why I came to that assumption. Of course there are people who aren't and I certainly don't wish to alienate anyone.

I don't doubt that you know what you're talking about. If I have a question, I wouldn't be afraid to hit you up and see what you think, but you just sorta posted all this stuff out of the blue. Without really knowing you or anything, it's just hard to tell what you're trying to say...so my confusion makes sense to me!

Eh, metal might not be known for badass bass, but a lot of metal bass players are tip top in my opinion. I've heard people say over and over how black metal has no bass, but to me it's right in my face. So I think it's totaly subjective.

I don't really understand what you mean about you recommending different methods of producing sound to people. I mean, I understand those concepts you have mentioned, but I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say. At the moment, I'm kinda into running two completely separate signals--one from each of two pickups into two amps. Lots of possibilities there! That's a good deal about what I love about bass--there's so much versatility in running a stereo type setup and it's so simple!

I don't want to come off like a douchebag, man. It's kinda difficult for me to follow your train of thought, so I hope you don't take any of that personally. I guess you articulate your ideas in a way that is kinda confusing for me, you know? You make some valid and helpful points, but I'm just not really sure of the context of what you're saying, especially since I haven't really been in contact with you before. Hope you understand, dude!
                  From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

Yeah man..a fresh pack of Rotosound 105's will do that shit!!
                    Mmh! Yes and some minty Roto Swing 66s...tasty!!

Comment

Mmh! Yes and some minty Roto Swing 66s...tasty!!
                      I chipped my tooth on a set of those...

Don't ask..

Comment

ok now that this has all been hashed out as to the meanings of what everyone is trying to get across here...I understand...I was the fool who jumped on you for no reason, and I am sorry...

sometimes I get very BOLD <<< for a lack of other words when someone is talking about other stuff here. You are right, if a Fender P is "you", then great...because it is a very hard task to actually find something that fits your needs without going thru 15 brands and never being happy about any of them...your right, this board is not for just Jacksons, but for all people to come and discuss about the Jacksons, or differences between them compared to others, just like TB.

As far as older Jackson basses being "pretty"...nope ( well maybe the Futura/Eliminator series, or the newer flamed topped model CMG's )
                        as far as older Jackson basses being "multi-talented"...nope ( I don't think they were looking for that in the 80's90's with all the other companies who were well established back then )
                        but they do have that certain "ROCK" tone that for many is perfect, and for some sucks.

I have too many Jacksons that are mundane, plain, and the only saving grace IS THE TONE.

for pretty basses, I have a 1977 premium quality JazzClone in sunburst, and the painted Jacksons are pale compared to the looks of that thing and the funny part is I love the way the old 70's pickups sound in the JazzClone the best, but they buzz so bad that I can never actually use it for recording.

( and 15lbs of plywood must help somehow )
                        http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

I chipped my tooth on a set of those...

Don't ask..
                          I won't....but I want to! :ROTF: I think they're kickass strings.

Comment

Working...
                          X