New (to me) CMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (to me) CMG

I just picked up a new-to-me cmg and it's a great bass. Sorry I don't have pics, the wife has the camera. I've never played a jackson bass but got it anyway based on reputation and price, figured it was worth the risk and it turned out better then I thought. The tone options are great and the controls work really well. My precision is getting pretty beat up and is border line needing some fret work (again), it's a 73 and has some serious miles on it. I wanted to pick up an inexpensive bass to haul around. It's a few pounds lighter and while it can't quite get the same tone it can get many many other great ones and isn't limited to just the one sound. Anybody on the fence about these should try one out. I was also looking at a toby pro for about the same price and while that body was more comfy the cmg played and sounded better.

Enjoy it, man!

How does it compare to your P bass?
    From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

MJ, congrats on the new CMG, and your excellent review on it...

Concert's are no P bass, but you are correct as "tone variance" is a good description....
      http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

The neck is thinner and the nut is narrower with upper fret access pretty much the same. My precision has been refretted so many times I can't remember what was on to start since I had them put jumbos on the first refret. The cmg frets are either jumbo or close and are very nicely polished. I could lower the action a little more then on the precision with the same relief. The cmg body is smaller and lighter, almost 2lbs, which is nice but when playing with it resting on your leg it does move the nut a little further away. With the strap though it makes the smaller body more comfortable. The blend knob seems backwards but works fine. Sound wise they are totally different which I wasn't expecting since the precision is the only bass I've ever had. For the money this is a killer bass, I wonder why you don't see more of them. I'd put it against most of the $1000 range basses I've played at stores which means used and cheap it's a great value.

Comment

That's great to hear, man. I agree with Amimbari--you give it a superb review!

Which Tobias were you thinking about getting?

Comment

Thanks - it gave me an excuse to play with the new bass.

The tobias was one of the pro models which was an import line they had for a couple years. I've come across a couple used ones in the same price range as these. The pickups are weak and the fret work isn't nearly as nice. The body is about the same as the old us models but the neck didn't seem to have the same asymm shape or if it did it was ever so slight. I've played the new ones and they still seem like good basses, I just can't justify the cost. I've always liked the old tobias and spector shapes, they just seem to fit. I also like the newer carvin shapes but not the old ones.

The bass I'm really hoping to stumble across though is Stu Hamm's old fender sig model, the urge. It's a medium scale with a scaled back body size and nice slim neck. There was an import model as well but I haven't played one. The us model is really nice though. I met a friend of a friend who had one once and it's the only one I've actually seen in person. They pop up on ebay every so often.

Comment

I'm glad you stumbled on the CMG. I' actually curious about giving one a try again. I played one--once--and it didn't like me very much, but I'm totally willing to give it a second chance

Plus I always thought that "black forest green" color was killer! I think amimbari can second that opinion!

Comment

yep...what HE said

I always wanted one of these...

Comment

Those really do look pretty damn cool...a Kelly in that color, though...

Comment

even on ebay those things are up over 600, so it will be a while until I get one unless it is used. and my tax refund may be enough to cover a big bill...lol

so it will be a while

Comment

I was looking in the new jackson catalog and didn't see this line anymore. Did they stop making these?

Comment

Originally posted by Chowderboots View Post
                        Those really do look pretty damn cool...a Kelly in that color, though...
                        i thought you wanted a black kelly with purple bevels and a kahler? lol
                        The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Originally posted by mjtripper View Post
                          I was looking in the new jackson catalog and didn't see this line anymore. Did they stop making these?

Still being made... getting a CMG in Satin Black soon... stoked!!!
                          Endorsing Artist:
                          ESP Basses
                          Mesa Boogie Amplification
                          EMG Pickups
                          D'Addario Strings
                          Pedaltrain Pedalboards
                          Couch Straps
                          InTune Picks

www.landminemarathon.com

Comment

Originally posted by mjtripper View Post
                            Crafted with the demands of the discernible player in mind, Jackson guitars give you the shapes, finishes and tones you love. From the venerable Rhoads, Soloist, Warrior and more, shop Jackson for the highest performance.

ya they do

Comment

Originally posted by peabuddy View Post
                              i thought you wanted a black kelly with purple bevels and a kahler? lol
                              Meh, 1985 CC Kelly still sounds better to me

In those photos, it doesn't look like it has purple bevels. Doesn't change my mind at all, though!

Comment

Working...
                              X