No announcement yet.

Jackson Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TELL me about it, wilkinsi! I'm going to get it today...not going to stand for anything less. Hopefully it's in good shape after being carted around for the past week.
    From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

Originally posted by Chowderboots View Post
      TELL me about it, wilkinsi!
      3 weeks via USPS every time. Try buying thru a UK retailer - add another 3
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
        3 weeks via USPS every time. Try buying thru a UK retailer - add another 3
        Yeah...I just don't want the thing sitting on the porch all day while I'm away and I'm not at home too often during the day. Ah well.

Comment

Alright!!!

Went an picked it up a couple hours ago...WOW!! Jesus Christ bananas it's unbelievable!! The case and the bass together are pretty heavy--about 35 pounds. The first thing when I opened the case was that it was covered in Matt Thor signature picks...not necessarily a bad thing, but every time I move the case, another 4 or 5 fall out of it Plus, they're really nice--good gauge and whatnot, so even though I don't play bass using a pick too often (and when I do, it's just for noodling purposes ), I still like them.

But it's shiny!! It has a gorgeous, almost totally unscathed finish. Only one ding on the end of the body. And a completely unblemished pointy headstock!

The coolest part about the finish is that it looks like it's all black in normal/lower light, but it has purple bevels. I wasn't sure what to think about them when Peabuddy told me that it was purple, but it adds another dimension to the looks of the bass, I think. And bevels on both sides. It's all around killer feeling. The body is a lot slimmer/sleeker than I had expected, and the cutout allows you to access all of the frets really easy with your left hand (which is my only minor problem with the Explorer shape)

I haven't plugged it in yet...I want to wait until I can really crank it (and make sure it's acclimated to my room and set up the way I like it), but the pickups and electronics look really cool!

And the TREM--an old 2410 Kahler. On my Hamer with a 7410, it's really a struggle to use it, especially compared to the Kelly's Kahler. It's like playing a guitar--the range and silky smoothness of operation is out of this world. The strings are still settling in (plus it's been hauled around Kirkistan for the past 3 days), but so far, the tuning stability is promising!

Oh! Plus the trem is recessed, so the strings don't bottom out on the saddles like on my Hamer It really makes a workd of difference. I'm going to have to get the Hamer's Kahler recessed so that I can actually use the damn thing like on the Kelly.

The neck is awesome. I'm loving the binding that covers the fret ends. The neck's shape is perfect. Unlike my 3B, the Kelly has a thicker neck. Still the same Jackson sleek, deadly feel, but more robust. And I dig it a lot! Compared to the really narrow body (especially since I'm used to the much wider-bodied Blitz and Destroyer that I own), the neck almost seems a little too thick, however, when I think that kinda headstock, I automatically think of my Charvel's skinny neck. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get used to it because it feels awesome.

Speaking of the neck, it's straght as an arrow!!! Straightest neck I've ever seen and this is after a week and a half in transit from one side of the country. I'm waiting to see if it'll change at all over the next couple of days, but right now, all I'll have to do is drop the saddles on the Kahler a little bit and it's good to go. And those sharkfins!!

In any case, it's my fuggin' dream bass...thanks Rob!!

Comment

Wow!.....Scrotum Lake's newest resident. Thats one fine lookin bass man. Are those picks from the 80's band Jailhouse with Danny Vaughn and Michael Raphael?
            Are all the Kelly's made in the US? I thought I heard some rumbling as I just drove thru Totem Lake about half an hour ago. Congrats and enjoy.

Comment

Cool!

Congrats on a very nice bass.

Enjoy! André

Comment

all I have to say, hell all that I can say is WOW!!!!
                My Childrens
                -------------
                Lefty Ke2 ferrari red w blk bevels
                Lefty RR1T trans black
                Lefty Sl2HT trans black
                Lefty SLSMG!!!!

Comment

Fuck! I wasn't expecting a neckthru! That's a nice bass. One thing tho, how's the condition of the headstock? It's stabbing the end of the case.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

what can I say that the others already have not? Although I knew about it for a while, saw many pics, but now you have it, and I'm sure it will be in your family for a long time Martin.
                    http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Sorry for interrupting again ...

As I didn't follow the story from the beginning.

This is sure an US Model. Custom shop? What year?

Is is the Kahler tremolo an custom option too? :think:

Thanks. André

Comment

Originally posted by shark View Post
                        sorry for interrupting again ...

As i didn't follow the story from the beginning.

This is sure an us model. Custom shop? What year?

Is is the kahler tremolo an custom option too? :think:

Thanks. André
                        yeah it's an 85 san dimas originally owned by matt thor of rough cutt. Glad you got it okay tino! I've missed work all week and haven't been online. Enjoy my friend. Told you she was sweet!
                        The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Haha yeah Vain--I'm just south of Scrotum Lake...which is different from being south of heaven And yep. The very same "Alive In A Mad World" Jailhouse! I'm assuming that when Mr.

Thank you, shark! In some ways, it's kinda like a TBX...kinda. Close as I'm ever going to get, in any case! It's a custom shop, yes. I believe you can order a

Thanks, Behold!!

Yep, Wilkinsi. The neck is the straightest and burliest neck I've ever played on, but it's also the smoothest. It's so comfy! The headstock and neck are both in perfect condition. It probably looks like the headstock is jabbing farther into the case than it is (the interior is very soft and plush...my cat loves it ). In any case, it survived the trip from South Carolina to Washington and it's in such good condition that you'd be hard pressed to find a better bass brand new.

Most of all, thanks to you, Rob! Horns, bro! You were right

The length of the tremolo arm makes all the difference in the world. It's only about an inch longer than the arms that they make nowadays on the 7410 trems. That and the fact that it only has two springs in it (as opposed to the standard of 3 on the newer trems) makes it feel incredible, although a little bit harder to find that "zero" point in the cam's rotation.

I do enjoy the variety of sounds you can get with the crazy electronics...although I'm not sure exactly what each knob does. I kinda like to hear what each pickup sounds like alone, without anything enhancing it before doing anything with it, so it's a little confusing, but still awesome!

Comment

In some ways, it's kinda like a TBX...kinda.
                            you meant KBX

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
                              you meant KBX
                              No...I mean, it's the closest I'll ever get (and am willing to get) to the uncanny creations that you and Andre own. Like the neck/headstock binding, the EMGs; a lot of the stuff that I find kickass about your basses, but in a more Tino-friendly package.

Comment

No...I mean, it's the closest I'll ever get (and am willing to get) to the uncanny creations that you and Andre own. Like the neck/headstock binding, the EMGs; a lot of the stuff that I find kickass about your basses, but in a more Tino-friendly package.
                                haha well ok, but I would still take a KBX-pro to supplement my TBX-pro

Comment

Working...
                                X