No announcement yet.

Complete Bass Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those were a stores copy, like a sam ash or somthin'. Who knows they could have come from the same factory !
    Check-it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKmQmkJ9gg

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
      hell that Bently bass he just got looks so close to a Jackson headstock, it was probably just copied exactly back in the day. I wonder if the actual neck dimensions are identical, cause like I said in the other thread, that thing looks so cool with a painted neck...

and no i'm not arguing about who had better "harmonies" or songs..BeeGees or BeachBoys, they BOTH were pioneers of the surfer music, and the "BOY Bands" from the era.
      No, the Jackson headstock is nicer. This one is shorter and stubby. I like the longer slimmer look the J/C headstock has better.

I'd call the neck profile a C shape, and the frets are medium, not jumbo at all.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        No, the Jackson headstock is nicer. This one is shorter and stubby. I like the longer slimmer look the J/C headstock has better.

I'd call the neck profile a C shape, and the frets are medium, not jumbo at all.
        the stubby headstock was used on all the later jacksons like this:

compared to this:

the C shape is like my matsumoku, playable, but the D shaped C/J necks are way "smoother" to handle.
        http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

For bass tone... I am not a hige Tool fan, but the bass sounds incredible to me. That is the tone I look for when I play bass.
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
            To get familiar with the feel, I would practice to AC/DC. Seriously, mainly root notes and such. For inspiration, listen to some Victor Wooten. Then cry.
            There ya go..also, Louis Johnson, Larry Graham, James Jamerson, Stu Hamm, Michaal Manring, and the guy qho changed my life forever..Toney Levin on the Chapman stick (early 80's King Kirimson). Just apply THAT same EXCAT technique to bass. That opened doors I never knew existed. There's a shitload of players on youtube that found those doors.

But I started with Geezer Bultler, Steve Harris, John Entwistle like many. Before I spent years on end slappin' and tappin'. Now we have all these players, advice, and tricks of the trade at our fingertips (pun). Youtube is your friend.

My advice for bass players is: It's not what you play, it's how you play it. Own the fuggin' song and remember ..METER, feel and groove is everything. Practice with a click, metronome, drum machine, and..or drummer.

Have fun..that's important too. Don't worry about your sore , or bloody fingetips. That'll take of of itself evetually..that's called paying dues.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post

My advice for bass players is: It's not what you play, it's how you play it. Own the fuggin' song and remember ..METER, feel and groove is everything. Practice with a click, metronome, drum machine, and..or drummer.

Awesome advice.

Another thing to keep in mind; back in the days of early jazz, bass was originally used to keep time.
              "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                Awesome advice.

Another thing to keep in mind; back in the day, bass was originally used to keep time.
                ya, and it wasnt even electric

but oh ya, I did my fair share of JudasPriest style "one noter's" as we use to call them, just to warm up to the greater stuff in our sets back then. An excellent way to practice your timing if the drummers good and warm up before you get into the hard stuff, and if you play at home with a keyboard drums then hell you got it made. WAY back in the day, my old yamaha keyboard/drums helped me so much, and I cant ever thank it for really launching my musical carrear and getting me into bands back then.
                http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
                  the stubby headstock was used on all the later jacksons like this:

compared to this:

the C shape is like my matsumoku, playable, but the D shaped C/J necks are way "smoother" to handle.
                  You nailed it - it's just like the Jackson headstock, but I like the Charvel headstock better.

I checked the profile again. I'd say it's C shape by the nut, but flattens out to a D by the body.

Compared to my SL2H not even close; the Jackson is very much a D shape.

I think you are right, shaped similar to my Aria Pro II necks made by Matsumoku.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                    Have fun..that's important too. Don't worry about your sore , or bloody fingetips. That'll take of of itself evetually..that's called paying dues.
                    Wow, wHorns has a human side ? :think:

Comment

Originally posted by leftybob View Post
                      Wow, wHorns has a human side ? :think:
                      well, I wouldn't say that..
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

As far as the tones go, I have the bass pod xt and am really into "The Fish" and "Metal Shop". Ive also been into the slapback delay effect as well. Put on Mad Season's Above cd and play along with that. Its real easy going and allows you to catch up easy if you fall behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Vain1 View Post
                          As far as the tones go, I have the bass pod xt and am really into "The Fish" and "Metal Shop". Ive also been into the slapback delay effect as well. Put on Mad Season's Above cd and play along with that. Its real easy going and allows you to catch up easy if you fall behind.
                          \Love the Mad Season/

Comment

Working...
                          X