4 vs 5 string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 vs 5 string

hey guys, i play guitar, but i love the sound and feel of playing bass, but theres one problem, i dont know what to get, 5 or 4 string, is there much difference in playing a 5 string to a 4 string? :think:

to me? Only difference is the width of the neck, string spacing, and the annoying B string that don't get used too often

actually, I just tune my basses normally to DGCF, or CFA#D#, and transpose.

i don't even think I have a bass tuned to EADG anymore.

IF and only IF there is a song we need the low B for, which is slim to none, then I pull out my 5stringer. ( in my type of music I do, that is a rarity )

I have 14 - 4stringers and one 5... ( what's that tell you? )

just so you know, C/J basses are relatively cheaper than the guitar counterparts, and theres a lot of models to choose from for 300 or less.
    http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

I prefer the 5-string, even though I don't use it that much. Bass takes a ton of power to amplify, and playing at home through a rack setup just doesn't let the 5th ring out well enough IMO.

But, it's there if I want it, and I can skip over it if I don't want it.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I like the feel of 4 string necks more often that 5 string necks. I've played on a few really nice 5 string basses (like a Modulus Quantum or a Czech neck through Spector) and they blew me away. Once I get past the neck feel and string spacing, I can totally dig them, but I just don't find myself wanting the B enough to get addicted to one.

Sometimes the B string can be difficult to get to sound really good on some basses...but that's normally something that can be fixed.

Another thing--if you want a P style pickup, it can be harder to find a 5 string with a P pickup or a P pickup that'll work for a 5 string. For me, it's really a matter of do I want a couple more notes or do I want a DiMarzio Model P, you know?
        From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

What's your want's and price range ? We can help keep an EYE( (0) ) out ~!
          Originally posted by HANGAR18 View Post
          hey guys, i play guitar, but i love the sound and feel of playing bass, but theres one problem, i dont know what to get, 5 or 4 string, is there much difference in playing a 5 string to a 4 string? :think:
          Check-it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKmQmkJ9gg

Comment

i have the best of both worlds. i took a charvel 3b and set it up with the lower 4 of a 5string set. don't use it very much but like newc said, it's there if i need it. believe it or not, didn't have to adjust the truss rod much.
            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

I'll always be a 4 string player..but with a Hipshot for any drop D stuff on the fly.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                I'll always be a 4 string player..but with a Hipshot for any drop D stuff on the fly.
                yea, me too bill. most of the stuff i play is drop d. the hipshot rules. my guitar player has to switch guitars while i just flip the lever! lol

Comment

Originally posted by peabuddy View Post
                  yea, me too bill. most of the stuff i play is drop d. the hipshot rules. my guitar player has to switch guitars while i just flip the lever! lol
                  all this flip-flop of switches and pushing of buttons...oy-vey

just use a .105-.110 E string, tune to DGCF and quit flipping levers ya damn babies

oh wait, I forgot...some of you MUST HAVE an open E to play on or you get confused..

like tab players, I tell them to transpose the frets and quit crying and they say "WTF does that mean"

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
                    all this flip-flop of switches and pushing of buttons...oy-vey

just use a .105-.110 E string, tune to DGCF and quit flipping levers ya damn babies

oh wait, I forgot...some of you MUST HAVE an open E to play on or you get confused..

like tab players, I tell them to transpose the frets and quit crying and they say "WTF does that mean"
                    Well, I only used the Hipshot for any rock stuff that requires it..VH and stuff.

I never used it 95% of the time. I'm mostly a funk/fusion kinda player. The four string spacing is perfect for old school funk and some silly tapping. But I don't tap like Sheehan, I always used it in a musicall context much like Stu Hamm or Tony Leven's Chapman-like grooves
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm teasing obviously, but do you know many people wont tune DGCF because of the transposing factor?, all they want to do is tune DADG. nothing wrong with either approach I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
                        i'm teasing obviously, but do you know many people wont tune dgcf because of the transposing factor?, all they want to do is tune dadg. Nothing wrong with either approach i guess.
                        well, i'm limited to what my guitar player can use! I've only recently got him to drop d and half step down. He always played standard before this band.

Comment

Originally posted by peabuddy View Post
                          well, i'm limited to what my guitar player can use! I've only recently got him to drop d and half step down. He always played standard before this band.
                          hahah Rob, your the bassplayer just TELL him he HAS to play in the tuning YOU want!!!!

( almost as effective as the look on my guitarplayers face when he is looking at me play in transpose-mode, and I'm not on the same frets he is, and he is actually trying to follow ME!!! )

like anyone, I could play in EADG, If they don't know the tunes, they won't be watching me for help...NO CHEATING unless I get free beer.

Comment

"NO CHEATING unless I get free beer. "
                            AMEN TO THAT! FREE BEER! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!
                            BTW, i usually write my part last, the band mates i have now can't/won't play thrash so i'm basically a hired gun! i like it that way

Comment

well the free beer is usually my incentive to retune to EADG, and just do it...shit, it's hard enough for them to watch me since the strings are inverted, but at least they can see the same fret positions --hahaha.

they have never asked "strap on your lefty bass so I can watch you play" as of yet..... :ROTF:

speaking of cheating, like my youtube videos where I'm spaced out and staring into oblivion due to getting wasted, I'm the same way at practice, I just watch the guitarplayers hands on their fretboards if I'm confused...so I'm as guilty as they are. ( BUT THEY WILL NEVER KNOW )

Comment

Working...
                              X