New Adrian Smith Strat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Adrian Smith Strat!

well, it's actually my 2nd AS strat. The 1st one had a couple issues. It's a really great playing guitar, and I'm surprised how 'stratty' it can sound, even in the #2 position. Having a chance to play two different ones, I thought it was interesting that they rolled the fretboard edges completely differently between the two. The 1st one was rolled between the frets (see pic), whereas the 2nd one is more like the Charvel ProMods...the fret ends were rolled too.

Also, they're making them in batches now, not just per order. I guess they're selling quite a few....on to the pics...

With a few friends...

My AS inspired collection...

Oddly rolled fingerboard...definitely not the most comfortable way to do it...

Last edited by mccullpl; 09-09-2009, 08:45 AM.

Congrats!

These really are awesome guitars! I have the ebony board model, and on mine, the fretboard is not rolled at all - very flat feel on the fretboard side. I'm guessing they just prepare the necks differently - ebony vs. maple. I said before - I love the single coils in these - really nice.

What issues did the first one have?

Here's mine:

-------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Yours is particularly awesome with the Chrysler building in the background! I initially didn't care much for the ebony version, but seeing all the great pics of yours, it's really grown on me.

My first one had a light brown spot under the finish, along with a series of small dents on the back of the neck by the 8th fret. Here's the finish flaw....kind of surprised it got sent out like that.

My new one isn't perfect either, but a lot closer. This one has a very, very small chip on the bass side of the neck pocket. One of those things nobody will probably ever notice but me. The route for the backplate isn't quite perfect either, like they overran one corner. I initially expected perfection, but I guess not so much anymore. I wonder if making them in batches is part of the reason for the flaws.

Comment

Originally posted by mccullpl View Post
        My first one had a light brown spot under the finish, along with a series of small dents on the back of the neck by the 8th fret. Here's the finish flaw....kind of surprised it got sent out like that.

My new one isn't perfect either, but a lot closer. This one has a very, very small chip on the bass side of the neck pocket. One of those things nobody will probably ever notice but me. The route for the backplate isn't quite perfect either, like they overran one corner. I initially expected perfection, but I guess not so much anymore. I wonder if making them in batches is part of the reason for the flaws.
        Yeah, that brown smudge would bother me - especially against the white. I've got a couple of dings on the edges of mine from wear and tear, and they're kind of brownish... i can't tell if they're down to the wood, or just the way the finish discolored. And dings on the back of the neck (on a new guitar) would be an absolute deal-breaker for me.

The frets on the stained one don't look too well polished either - maybe a "Monday" or "Friday" guitar?

I chose ebony because I'm currently suffering maple overload! And I liked the white on white PG look.

I think from Bionic, he said these are all made in the custom shop, and from RacerX's factory tour these are supposed to receive attention from Mike Shannon himself.
        Blank yo!

Comment

I want one bad, congrats. My soloist has been doing a lot of time sitting due to my PC-1. I might have to sell it and go towards an A.S. model. Be sure and check out the Maiden Flight 666 dvd, he really tears it up with his Jackson.
          Let go, let Guitar

Comment

Nice guitar, but for the money, I'd be pissed if I found that mark on the body. Curious also - is the floyd supposed to have a gap in front of it?
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Grandturk, the new one does have a better fret job than the 1st one(but I think they just look dull in that pic because it's in such low light with no flash), and the neck is just awesome. I love the unfinished feel. I really started to wonder if the first one was the shop beater guitar that someone accidentally put in a case and shipped out!

It seems odd that the dings on yours would be brown, unless the paint is so thin, the wood is showing through?

Part of the reason I went maple was because my strat is white/white/rosewood, and the maple with black is what I remember from the Somewhere in Time days.

JacksoNeal, don't let my luck scare ya. This is a fantastic playing and sounding guitar!
              ...and I've watched H tearing it up on the 666 dvd MANY times! Too bad they only show his maple boarded model once or twice.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                Curious also - is the floyd supposed to have a gap in front of it?
                I think the gap just looks big in photos because of the black/white/black contrast. In person, the pickguard is not any further from the floyd than you would expect.
                Blank yo!

Comment

Wilkinsi, I was pissed when I saw the brown mark on it! That was the first one. The replacement just has a couple nitpicky things that aren't worth returning it for.

...and I think Grandturk is right. The gap between the floyd and the pickguard isn't bad in person.

Comment

Looks good at least for a Strat.
                    But that Dean looks awesome, is it an US Model or some kind of discontinued import?

Comment

Fyrd, The purple V is one of the 50 2005 DOA (Dean Owners of America) guitars. The members of the forum vote on the shape and specs for that year's guitar. It's essentially a Korean made '79 V with abalone inlays, magenta burst finish, series 2 headstock, 5(?) ply binding, and gold hardware...and I think the pickups might be upgraded. I'll be honest, it gets very little play time, but it is one of the best built, best playing guitars I've ever played. If it had a bit slimmer neck, and bigger frets, I'd play it a lot more.

The ML is just an old Korean Select series. It too plays awesome, but isn't anything special.

Comment

Fyrd, here's a couple 'better' pics of the V...

Comment

Great looking Adrian Smith! I love these things even though the headstock isn't quite my style.
                          "Dave Mustaine - apparently, he invented thrash AND Christmas." - Grandturk

Comment

Originally posted by grandturk View Post
                            congrats!

These really are awesome guitars! I have the ebony board model, and on mine, the fretboard is not rolled at all - very flat feel on the fretboard side. I'm guessing they just prepare the necks differently - ebony vs. Maple. I said before - i love the single coils in these - really nice.

What issues did the first one have?

Here's mine:

why did you put that there.

Comment

NICE!!!!!!! I'm jealous!!
                              Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X